Author Topic: HA wings  (Read 2314 times)

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
HA wings
« on: June 28, 2022, 11:53:20 AM »
Everyone says high aspect wings are for "more experienced" riders but never specify what that means.
  We've been playing with a Lift 250 HA (Lift efoil) and it is more difficult in some ways.
I'm having trouble coming back down to the water from flying and submarining the board (and me). 
When turning if the wing comes out of the water at all I go down (it seems).
Anyway, just curious to start talking about "What" makes ha wings more challenging.   

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: HA wings
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 12:21:13 PM »
HA wings take board speed to get off the water. You can't just jump up and down on them like you can with lower aspect wings. The shorter chord makes them easier to move up and down in pitch at speed which in turn means they can feel unstable until you get used to controlling the pitch.

Wider wing spans will breech faster when you lean over which will let the foil ventilate and you lose lift and often fall.

The stall speed is higher, meaning you have to continuously go faster to keep the foil flying.

These are all things that more advanced riders may be able to use to their advantage.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: HA wings
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 10:04:39 AM »
In a nutshell HA wings are faster more slippery through the water and have a higher stall speed, someone with the fundamentals of foiling dialed can handle it and for a beginner it just leads to faster out of control gnarlier crashes.  They are wider by definition so need to have the sensitivity to know when the tips are close to the surface and/or how to ride tips out.

I just made a video talking about mid/high/true high aspect wings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3WwgxIQSo
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal