Author Topic: Axis Power Carbon and Power Carbon High Modulus Masts  (Read 5303 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Axis Power Carbon and Power Carbon High Modulus Masts
« on: June 24, 2022, 10:52:58 AM »
Any reports on (or thoughts about) use of Axis Power Carbon and Power Carbon High Modulus Masts for wing foiling.

I am planning to get the Power Carbon High Modulus Mast in 90 cm length (I have ART1099, ART999, 1150 etc) and am a bigger rider ~90 kg).

As my friend Bruce said "Life is too short to have shitty [foiling] gear" 
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Axis Power Carbon and Power Carbon High Modulus Masts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 01:57:11 PM »
I use the high modulus 90 for winging.

I used to ride the old 86 and 96 carbon. The 96 usually felt slightly awkward maneuvering. 86 felt too short on big days.

First ride on 90, just felt like the sweet spot for length. Responsiveness is so direct, you now feel the front wing flex, sometimes, with the ARTs.

You definitely feel more of the under water wave energy riding the high modulus.

The 82 will be my SUP length.

Board feels more solid and direct under feet.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:01:26 PM by Dwight (DW) »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 12:56:45 PM »
Mickey gave glowing comments on his, direct input and control in a good way.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 01:59:17 PM »
Anyone try the no limitz masts for axis? I’m flirting with expanding beyond takuma into axis and love those masts, and wonder how to wu compare to the new axis. Probably lighter?
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 09:22:30 PM »
Anyone try the no limitz masts for axis? I’m flirting with expanding beyond takuma into axis and love those masts, and wonder how to wu compare to the new axis. Probably lighter?

If Memory serves, Stringy already made Takuma to Axis adapter for NoLimitz.
Maybe worth looking into.
in progress...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 10:26:01 PM »
NoLimitz is pretty flexy compared to the Cedrus and other 19mm aluminum masts - yes, its nice and thin but I personally didn't really like the flex.  I rode it for a few months before going back to Cedrus.  I'm waiting on an high modulus 82 so I'll be able to make a three way comparison at some point.

Getting a Stringy Axis/Takuma fuse + power carbon axis mast seems like a great call

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 03:23:40 AM »
I assume you’re referring to Jim stringfellow, if so I contacted him and it wasn’t a thing yet. I have a cedrus but it’s short for small wave prone, and I found the weight savings over aluminum to not be worth it, which is what I gather is the case with axis carbon too. At least with NL you get a way lighter setup in exchange for less stiffness. 
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 09:58:57 AM »
I'm on the 75 power carbon and waiting on the high modulus version. Better pump, more glide and higher up wind reaches with it so far. Also noticed my jumping has gotten higher. It's something that I didn't know I needed till I got it. In sup foiling I'm getting up faster on smaller waves and my pumping with glide has increased as well. In winging I've also noticed that I can go smaller foil with the increased stiffness.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 10:17:05 AM »
With this being the single most dramatic price increase of any single component seen to date, Axis is going to have to demo these out.
Nothing in print is ever going to convince people to buy these masts. It's like trying to remove the last 250 grams off a bike.

The absolute last thing I need is something I didn't know I needed :o

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 03:56:20 PM »
I assume you’re referring to Jim stringfellow, if so I contacted him and it wasn’t a thing yet. I have a cedrus but it’s short for small wave prone, and I found the weight savings over aluminum to not be worth it, which is what I gather is the case with axis carbon too. At least with NL you get a way lighter setup in exchange for less stiffness.

How long ago did you ask? He sure sounded like he could do it when I emailed him a few weeks back.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 03:58:36 PM »
With this being the single most dramatic price increase of any single component seen to date, Axis is going to have to demo these out.
Nothing in print is ever going to convince people to buy these masts. It's like trying to remove the last 250 grams off a bike.

The absolute last thing I need is something I didn't know I needed :o

There are demo masts and advanced fuses in southern ca.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 09:28:50 PM »
Another GREAT session today on the 1099 and "old" carbon 86cm mast  (90Kg wet). Using it in much more wind and bigger swell than I really ever intended to and it's holding in better than expected. There's a little flex in the wing, noticeable when going back to back with the 980 but the mast?.. nah. Seems like only yesterday folks were raving about what little flex there is in the "old" carbon, where it's located along the mast etc. etc.

Of course you can't use the "old" carbon mast straight out of the box. It has to be epoxy potted into a fuselage to take up the 20% of extra air space in there. Any flex is in the stock mast to fuse connection and ultimately destroys the mast when the front screw comes loose over and over. It's a pita project but well worth the effort.

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 03:38:01 AM »

How long ago did you ask? He sure sounded like he could do it when I emailed him a few weeks back.

“ It won’t be anytime soon.

I’m just a one person shop trying to get the current orders under control.”
-Jim on June 30
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »
Sounds like he is just back logged, but he certainly indicated he has the technical ability to build one when I e-mailed him.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal