Author Topic: F-one 8m Strike CWC - Finally a big wing I'm stoked on!  (Read 18617 times)

SeattleFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-one 8m Strike CWC - Finally a big wing I'm stoked on!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2022, 08:41:14 PM »
As a 5'8", 170lb beginner/intermediate winger, will I be too short for the CWC 8m? Some reviews seem to indicate it wouldn't be an issue but I have my doubts.

It looks like I'll be spending most of my summer in the light winds of Lake Washington instead of the Gorge.
Maybe a 7m would be a better fit but I want to be 100% certain that I have enough wing to get out on the lightest days.
I'll be happy enough just mowing the lawn and schlogging home when the wind dies. I just don't want to be sitting on the beach all summer wondering 'what if..'.

Any other LW wings coming out before the end of the season?
The Epic Ghost X wing 7m looks interesting (windows would be nice on a busy lake) but at 8.9lbs seems a bit heavy.

Current biggest wing is a BRM W2 5.5m. Board/foil would be Naish Hover 110L/Axis 1020, but may consider something like the PNG1300.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2022, 09:49:33 PM »
I'm 220# and my biggest wing is a 7M CWC. It's huge and powerful, I can't imagine somebody at 170 needing anything that big. I'd suggest you start with a 6M CWC, which should be plenty even in wind well below 10mph. The 6M CWC has the same wingspan as the 5M so your height won't be an issue. The 7 and 8 have more wingspan and a longer strut which will make jibing very difficult. Winging in light air is a complex thing, and you won't solve all the issues just by going big. For example, when you turn downwind to jibe the wing won't have enough wind to hold it up, so wing weight becomes more important. Light wind also tends to be flukey, so you need to manage gusts and lulls. You might want to try the Axis 1150 which will work fine on your red fuselage, and I think it's a better light wind wing than the 1300. I have a 1300, but rarely use it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2022, 04:49:11 AM »
I'm with Pono on getting the 7. The wing span is great and it'll have tons of low end especially paired with the 1150. I have an 8 also in my quiver which I can get out in below 5mph marginal wind by just pumping with the wing over head but the 8 is more like riding a canopy rather than a wing so a different technique is needed to start and turn. I teach with the 7 and it's been great for all sized riders.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2022, 07:09:19 AM »
I agree with the above 2 comments. I'm 5'8 (185-195) and I can't imagine going bigger than the 6M CWC. I can up-foil it from 8knots on the Axis 1010/460.
I still catch the tips from time to time when have to pump it up more than usual and even thought it's one of the lightest wings, the weight is an issue for me in really light wind
and my jibes are still hit and miss in such conditions.

Of course that's all on my poor technic and not the wing but I imagine the bigger wings would have hindered my progression, the 6m was just the right sauce to get me to this point.
I tried some other leading brands 6M back to back with the CWC and I could't up-foil with any of the other designs, always caught a tip before I was I able to fly.

I'll have to add, that a good board is really key in light conditions with smaller wings/foils. I tried couple of Dwight's boards in those conditions and I could feel the difference in the
ease of pop-up compare with other production boards. Took his 4'10"x25.5" @85 Liter with the Axis 890 in around 10knots and 6 CWC and was up with 3 easy pumps.

Just got the new Strike V2 5.5M in a hope to replace the CWC. It's half a pound lighter and stiffer with slightly shorter wing span. Haven't had the conditions to try it yet
in progress...

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2022, 07:13:46 AM »
+1 for the 7m CWC -- gets on foil in 3-4 mph less than my 5m wing, feels relatively light in the hands, and it also slogs really well slightly upwind when there's not enough wind to get back to the launch on foil.  Very happy with it.

Andy

SeattleFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2022, 10:03:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely understand that with proper technique, board and foil the 6m is probably perfect for me.
But out of those three variables I have to admit that technique is always going to be the biggest limiting factor.
Plus, I still think I'd always be wondering just how much of an improvement a 6m would make on light days compared to just improving my technique with my 5.5m.

Good tip on the 1150. I'll be looking to pick one up for sure (hopefully 2nd hand).
I have some questions about a higher wind (18-25mph) front wing that would work with my board (kicktail, not straight), red fuse and skill level but to keep this on topic, I'll post that in the Axis foils thread.

@burchas, regarding boards - there are a few of Dwight's boards on the water up here. I had always aspired to get one when I was ready to move to HA foils. Bummer that it looks like I missed that window.

Anyways, talking to a few shops it looks like it's going to be tough picking up a bigger wing right now so maybe I just need to shift my focus to dock starting  ;)

SeattleFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »
Just a small update.

Got an unexpected session in today and as luck would have it someone was out with an 8m CWC.
The person flying it was probably 6'6" and it looked like a normal sized wing for them. I got a chance to fly it on the beach and while it was manageable I could tell it wasn't the wing for me.

I was the only one out on a sub-6m wing and I definitely struggled but the session made me realize I probably need to focus more on my pumping techniques than buying more gear. So I'm still undecided on trying to pick up a 7m. (but maybe if i started selling my kite gear a new wing would be easier to swallow...)

The 1150, however, is 'in the cart' as they say. The 'winner' of the day was on a 7m Slick and 1150. 3 pumps and he was up and foiling in some pretty light puffs. Definitely made me envious of his setup and skills.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2022, 10:02:39 AM »
Once you have the 1150, beg, borrow, or buy the 6M CWC. I strongly suspect it's all the wing you'd need for any remotely useful light wind. The weight and size of the 7 and 8 limit their usefulness. At some point, any wing foiler starts going backward on the usefulness of big wings. If that was not so we'd have 10 and 12M wings. At 220# and 6'1" (I've shrunk a bit) the 7M is marginal for me. I used the 6M CWC far too often, Using it for conditions that called for a 5M, or even a 4.2M. I just liked the wing too much. That kind of abuse inevitably caused the wing to bag prematurely, and I was considering replacing it with a new 6M CWC. Instead, I bought the 7M and had one of the kite/wing repair ladies on Maui tighten up the canopy with a couple of darts.

I've enjoyed the 7M for the 3 or 4 times I've used it, the torque available to yank myself to my feet is huge, even with almost no wind I can pump myself to my feet. It doesn't feel ridiculously big to me, as the 7M AirRush I used to have did. But in higher winds, like 15mph and up, it doesn't lose as much power when it's luffed, and I can't flag it low--it inevitably grabs a wingtip. The 6M is a much more controllable wing
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeattleFoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2022, 08:48:59 PM »
Another update...
Post-session this weekend I was thinking about how much fun winging was and how I'd hate to miss out due to not having the right gear. So I called and emailed a few shops to get on their waitlist for a 7m. Every place told me the same thing "everything is already pre-sold and we don't know when the next shipments will come in, probably july". I figured there was no harm getting on a waitlist as I'd have plenty of time to back out if I had second thoughts.

Well, after a dawn patrol session this morning (it's nice to finally get some wind locally!) I got two calls from shops saying they had unsold 7m CWCs in stock that just came in today. So, long story short a new 7m is on it's way. I figure even it's not the right wing for me, it'll be an easy resell.

(time to put some kites up for sale. anyone need some small strutless kites? or has kitefoiling officially been cancelled? ;))

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2022, 06:57:32 AM »
I got my 7m CWC a few days ago and tested it in guessing 8 - 10 mph with occasional gusts to 14. I love it. Very powerful wing with a surprising amount of speed in such light conditions. It's going to increase my session count considerably.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:02:39 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 01:55:57 PM »
I procured a new 8 M Strike.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  My foil amigo Haley weighs ~ 235 and flies everywhere on his 8M.  The other day he was out at Mushroom rock / Mavericks with a San Fran hotshot 'Dave'.  Dave was whining about being way overpowered on his 4.0 meter.  Dave flies under the Golden Gate all the time.   And there was Haley just cruising with is 8 Meter Strike.

The Ocho!!!!

This morning was blowing 15 - 20.  I rigged and it dropped to almost nothing.  Then it picked up, then down, then up.  A 2 hour session on the OCHO.  My first time flying with an Axis 1099.

It was blowing a "steady" 6 to 26.  Suddenly I don't mind gusty.  You get up on the gust and then fly through the lulls.  21 miles of flight with dry hair for the first 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Tips didn't catch.  Much improved set up from my Duotone Echo 7.0.  There seemed to be MORE to pull against in light air.  A nice solid wall from which to pull and attempt flat water starts.  GREAT WING!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 01:57:45 PM by Beasho »

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »
Seems like 8m Strike is well-loved. Are there any other 8m wings out there?

The only other one I have seen is the Freewing Air V2 8m. I would be curious if anyone has compared this vs the Strike.
Sustainable Surf

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »
More amazement flying the 8 meter in Light wind.

It was blowing 8 - 10 mph.  Just below whitecaps.  I figured I would rig big and combine with the GoFoil M280. 

IF there is enough wind to fly the wing, aka not use any strength to hold the wing in the air, then there is enough wind to pump up on the M280.  Takeoff speed is ~ 5 mph.

I am 5' 9" and weigh 190.  When the wind picks "UP" to be consistently white-capping I just use my Axis 1099.  I have flown the 8 meter up to 25 mph and with a harness it is manageable.

The crazy thing yesterday was when I would finally drop off foil the wind felt like it was blowing 3 mph.  The lulls were almost ZERO. 

Wind Chart and Tracks included.  I beat up wind and up current.

Water looked like this:
https://youtu.be/Rck09i5CRMQ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal