Author Topic: Foiling along and BAM …. Aeration? Cavitation? Nope  (Read 3834 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Foiling along and BAM …. Aeration? Cavitation? Nope
« on: June 12, 2022, 10:18:46 AM »
There’s a first time for everything. 

I’m pumping back out in perfect glassy water - going Mach looney nice and high on the mast.  Everything is lined up to grab the set wave way outside.  What’s that huge dark blotch in the water????   Oh, it’s a bait ball of sardines freaked out by ME!   How cool is that watching about a billion tiny fish trying to swim for their lives.  I caught them and BAM - no feeling of hitting anything, just immediate and total loss of lift. 

That was a fun experience.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foiling along and BAM …. Aeration? Cavitation? Nope
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 10:36:30 AM »
I was wing foiling in Hood River a few days ago and saw a mat of little sticks floating along the current shear line. No big deal, thinks I, it's just twigs and leaves. I hit it going flat out and my board disappeared from under me. I got to examine the mat close up, and it was just twigs and leaves, I could slice my hand right through it and felt no resistance. I guess if you hit enough of them at once it counts as a log.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 04:44:52 PM »
guy i was surfing with last week had the same thing: 7 ft black tip

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 07:10:36 AM »
One of the inlets we sail here has moon jellyfish for part of the season. It's like foiling at high speed through a bubble tea! At least they can repair themselves if you do some damage. Thankfully they don't tend to make you crash unless you're riding slowly through a swarm of them.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 05:51:48 AM »
Yeah, we've all ran into either a ray or shark, I know at least one shark for me in the inlet. Kite foiling I've hit a turtle before, but he was alright.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 06:33:55 AM »
Certain islands  in the Caribbean are dealing with Sargassum seaweed.  It’s a real problem and washing up on beaches . Luckily it’s not as bad in the Grenadines, but when flying down you can see acres and acres of this stuff afloat from the plane.  It’s a real issue for ships and sailboats.  There is a foiler on the ‘Zone who lives in Cancun and I know he said it’s a big problem there.  I’d hate to have to foil in that stuff.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Kalani Lei

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 08:04:47 PM »
Soo many turtles here at Kanaha that you always have to be vigilant! Unfortunately, you WILL hit one at some point (and go flying off your board, lol). They must be fine though as I don’t see any washed up dead on the shore and I don’t hear divers mentioning them either.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 08:16:03 PM »
Yeah, I hit one hard and thought I must have injured it. I rode around in circles for a while and finally spotted him/her. It had a white mark on the shell and a little notch that might have been caused by my mast, but it seemed to be fine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal