Author Topic: Everyday new board help  (Read 4211 times)

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Everyday new board help
« on: June 11, 2022, 04:29:58 PM »
Unfortunately I didn’t learn my lesson from windsurfing and chased SUP down a rabbit hole. Race boards got too narrow to be fun, my surf board is awesome but only in perfect conditions. On top of that my work/water time ratio is off. Now wind foiling has saved my time on water itch but I do miss SUP. Time for a new board, something I can throw in the truck when I can sneak away and not worry about a thing. Something big, stable, surfable, maybe sailable. Surf, log some miles, ocean river, whatever.
Narrowed down to JP Hybrid, Imagine Crossover, Starboard Generation(no mast plug) Sunova Search(also no mast plug).
Just looking to not get skunked anymore, have a board that can do it all. I understand the “do it all” board comes with limitations but a day on the water is better than none.
Recommendations?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 04:39:39 PM by Mil-Surf »
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Everyday new board help
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:10:19 PM »
No idea really but I have heard the SB Generation is really good from multiple people.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »
It's a good move on your part. These boards can be a lot of fun whatever you throw at them.
That said, prioritizing which activities by ranking might help you make the best choice.

When I looked at this category I made a decision to keep above 12' where there are usually 2 groups of
under or over 200 Liters. Also decided to keep it under 30" wide or under

- Under 200 will usually have better surf performance, more stable in the chop and ocean and can better handle cross winds.
  Some board in this group: Sunova Search, HYPR Nalu 12.6 gun, Jimmy Lewis Bombora 12'. All these boards have a rockers and rails that can really surf

- Over 200 will usually have better touring performance, much faster, can pick up the smallest rollers and glide on a downwinder
  Some boards in this group: SIC Maui Bullet 12.6, Starboard Generation 12.6, Jimmy Lewis M-12.6

For me, the second group had better versatility.
in progress...

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 04:04:46 PM »
  Some boards in this group: SIC Maui Bullet 12.6, Starboard Generation 12.6, Jimmy Lewis M-12.6

For me, the second group had better versatility.

That's a great shortlist... especially because they can be had in light-ish constructions. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 05:01:38 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, and another vote for the Starboard Generation. That might just be the one. Again I’m looking to be able to throw a board in the truck and go to the beach when I can and not worry about being skunked. A board like that certainly checks a lot of boxes and will get me on the water no matter the conditions. I’d say I’m more biased towards surfing but if it’s flat or choppy I can still go for a cruise and get a good paddle in. If there’s wind, I’m windfoiling, if the surf is really good I have my Jimmy Lewis Destroyer, everything else should be covered with a board like this.
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 05:31:29 PM »
Bigger is better, but the board needs to be really well designed. A lot of big boards turn like shit. If you can't turn a big board from somewhere near the middle then it's really a short board with a long nose that's waving around in the air not doing you any good at all.

The Generation looks like a nice board if you want to do everything but surf, but I expect it will be a bit disappointing for surfing. If surfing is primary and everything else is secondary I'd look at something 10'6 ish and 30 inches wide.

If you're really looking to cruise, downwind, and maybe do some exploration paddles and occasionally dink around in ankle snappers, then yeah, the generation looks good. Looks like Fiona likes it, so it's got that going for it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 06:12:15 PM »
I don't think that you will find an "all-around" board that will satisfy you since you already have SOTA specialized boards - e.g. JL Destroyer. I think that a better investment would be a good rack for your track.  ;)

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 05:20:41 AM »
Fanatic makes the Bee. Don’t know much about it but  it seems what you are looking for. Here is there write up.

Our Bee is the ultimate watersports-weapon. We’ve packed four different dimensions of pure fun into one board: SUP Surfing, SUP Foiling, Wing Foiling and Windsurf Foiling – you decide on the setup you ride.

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 05:27:10 PM »
Well after much back and forth I decided on the Imagine Crossover 12’ x 31”
Here’s why:
“All-round” board with a bias towards surfing
Much thinner in the tail than starboard generation
Some guy named Dave Kalama(who ever he is) had a bit to do with designing the board to cover some miles yet still be surf able
Price point
Windsurf plug

Again, I needed a board I could surf, cruise, let the kids beat up, go for a mellow sail, just go to the beach and know I could get on the water in some capacity no matter what.
Should be here in a few days, excited to get back on the water more and not be so tied to forecasts.

Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 03:03:18 PM »
That's a great choice.  Love that style of board. It's the opposite of obsessing about 'the right board' for this or that.  And it looks cool... 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:12:32 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 06:17:12 AM »
Sealion Foil&co (not to be confused with Sealion inflatables)

- Sealion wings (Replaces the old XL, my first, original had no foil box) 145L  will surf and sail and foil.

- I have a sealion classic 8'3 135L that I keep at my camper.  surf and sail no foil.  Inexpensive (1000$ shipped from france)

- Sealion wings 8'6 is a bit smaller than 8'3 at 125L.  Carbon const, surf sail foil.  I weigh 170 lb and this board is super fun.  Maybe too small for do anything.

These boards are made to wave-sail and sup equally.  They surf really well.   Bullet proof construction.

I ordered the last board direct from foil and Co,  at my house a week later.  Prices on website include VAT, which you don't pay in USA,  it about covers shipping.

https://www.instagram.com/sealionconcept/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIaqF33D2TL/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-x5LND3_M/

JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal