Author Topic: SUP for kids (2 on one board or kid specific board)?  (Read 2049 times)

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
SUP for kids (2 on one board or kid specific board)?
« on: July 20, 2022, 12:00:57 PM »
My 6 and 9 year olds are just getting into paddling.  I'll just take them on my local lake (no oceans/surf) at this point.  What I've been doing so far is having them paddle my current boards while I sit on the back of it to help instruct them and paddle if they get tired.  It works pretty well but wondering if I should get them their own boards and if so what I should look for?  Also, any tips from people who have gotten their kids into the sport?

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP for kids (2 on one board or kid specific board)?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 02:13:48 PM »
It's a tricky one. You don't want to spend too much as they might not really get into it. But if they have a good board from the beginning they might be more into it.
 My youngest daughter, now 13 liked paddling with me. Then she tried my 14 ft  board and loved it.
 I hate to say it but inflatables are worth a thaught. They won't ding them and they are reasonably light. Softer to fall on as well.
 A good paddle makes a difference for kids too. Light and adjustable. My daughter was using a cheap paddle that weighed twice as much as mine! One day I thought, hang on ,that's not right. Find a second hand adjustable carbon paddle with a small blade. Then everyone can use it as well.
 Enjoy it whilst it lasts.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 02:20:03 PM »
Yes there is a few years between those photos.
 And you get to stop for hot chocolate and cookies when you paddle with kids.
 Then you think I have been taking this paddling far too seriously. Hot chocolate and cookies are good!

SUPlakes

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 09:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  That makes sense about the inflatables and getting a good lightweight paddle.  My friend has a couple inflatables (Red and Starboard) so I may borrow those to see how they are.  The outings will be short at this point, but it should be a blast especially the cookies and hot chocolate :)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 07:53:07 AM »
If one or both show some real independent interest in paddling, there will come a time when having their very own board will be so cool...

(And maybe having their own paddle is a good start.)

I hope this is a long term family thing for you guys!     

Tarquin - nice photos ...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 07:57:11 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »
They sound like perfect boards to try. Both good brands. Good to keep the trips short in the beginning anyhow  Don't tire them out and keep it interesting.
 I did a couple of long trips early and she was tired and didn't enjoy it. Later when she was more confident she was happy to do longer trips.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal