Author Topic: Hankering back to my old Laird Pearson Arrow- what's the modern equivalent ?  (Read 9693 times)

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi guys

I haven't done much sup surfing for the past couple of years and I'm longing to get back into it. I have posted on here about the mistakes of going too short in the past. For reference I'm 10kg overweight atm which isn't helping. 105kg 6'1 late 30s.

Currently riding a starboard pro 9'2 128L. It's lovely. But it's hard work atm. Even when I'm the right weight- cruising the line up and catching 8/10 waves like I could with my laird isn't possible.

Part of the lairds magic was it's length and shape. But also its weight. In the era of modern carbon boards- people shy away from weight. But actually I miss a bit of momentum when paddling for a wave enjoying.

With thought- the laird was nearly perfect for me. 10'6. 29 3/4" wide. 154L.

So- can I ask what shapes are out there now that's close to the laird ? I would happily lose a few litres- 140-145 would be ideal.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
This is an easy one. Call Bob Pearson and order one. He's still alive and well and could make you one of "the real ones" that is light and perfectly sized for you.

Best Surf SUP ever imho.

Go ahead guys, close the thread. I've sorted this one. 😆😅

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any idea how much they cost ? I would need to import it to the UK.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Everyone who has ever tried one loves the Pearson Arrow.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Can you get a sunova over there?
They ride pretty nicely.
https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
They ride pretty nicely.

Yes you can. In fact I have owned a couple.  One was a custom acid- which was lush but needed real power and a steep wave amd was right on my limit balance wise. I bought it after 2 weeks on Costa Rica- weighed 90kg and had been sup surfing 4-4-5 hrs/day. 95kg and surfing less frequently it became harder work.

I also had a sunova creek for a brief period- I forget the exact spec- around 9'4 and 153L- but I really didn't gel with it. In truth I didn't really give it a fair shot but I moved it on pretty quickly.

What sunova would you suggest ? :)

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Everyone who has ever tried one loves the Pearson Arrow.

I can believe that! :( I really regret selling it. Any suggestions ?

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
They ride pretty nicely.

Yes you can. In fact I have owned a couple.  One was a custom acid- which was lush but needed real power and a steep wave amd was right on my limit balance wise. I bought it after 2 weeks on Costa Rica- weighed 90kg and had been sup surfing 4-4-5 hrs/day. 95kg and surfing less frequently it became harder work.

I also had a sunova creek for a brief period- I forget the exact spec- around 9'4 and 153L- but I really didn't gel with it. In truth I didn't really give it a fair shot but I moved it on pretty quickly.

If you can get to try out a sunova Speeed - I think you will be pleasantly surprised 🤙

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
They ride pretty nicely.

If you can get to try out a sunova Speeed - I think you will be pleasantly surprised 🤙

I have read good things about the speed and you may well be right. Will keep an eye out!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
If you want a Pearson Arrow you should get a Pearson Arrow. It will cost more and take more effort to get, but magical boards are worth the effort. If you get something else you'll still want a Pearson Arrow. That's how I justify chocolate--if have something else instead I'll still want the chocolate.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
If you want a Pearson Arrow you should get a Pearson Arrow. It will cost more and take more effort to get, but magical boards are worth the effort. If you get something else you'll still want a Pearson Arrow. That's how I justify chocolate--if have something else instead I'll still want the chocolate.

Hmmmm good point. Finding one may be v tricky though. Super rare here.

My previous one was a surftech one. My only complaint about it was it was very heavy. But it seemed pretty well made. Perhaps a bit fragile on the tail but that's it.

I have read the genuine Pearson arrows varied hugely in their quality.

Are the surftechs known for being better built?

Are the newer Pearsons better built and production board quality ?

Best build quality I have seen is jimmy lewis.

Is the gerry Lopez 9'6 sup similar ? Theres One of these near me I could look at until I can find a much rarer laird pearson.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 05:11:54 PM by devon_sup_surf »

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
I know this may sound heretical. But check out the Starboard Longboard SUP. 10' x 31" 140l.

I have one and love how it surfs. Outline is similar to the Arrow, bit it has a modern bottom and rocker. Carves nicely from the tail and nose rides very well.

Even better... It should be easier to get in the UK.
Sustainable Surf

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I know this may sound heretical. But check out the Starboard Longboard SUP. 10' x 31" 140l.

I have one and love how it surfs. Outline is similar to the Arrow, bit it has a modern bottom and rocker. Carves nicely from the tail and nose rides very well.

Even better... It should be easier to get in the UK.

I think 31" and only 10' would ruin the glide for me- but the 29" could well work! Hmmmmmmm

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
Yes... The 10' x 29" wide Starboard Longboard would be even better. In blue carbon it would be truly outstanding.
Sustainable Surf

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
You can order a Pearson from Bob Pearson. If you call him he will extract all the information from you that's required to build you a board that makes you crazy. The end result will be like my Kenny Tilton custom longboard that sits in my garage--delaminated, totally unusable, but I'll own it until I die. Pure magic. I look at it and remember how it surfed--it made me a better surfer. Those perfect things are worth the effort. Good is the enemy of great.

I made Cacio e Pepe two nights ago with prawns and morels. I've been practicing this ridiculously simple but infinitely difficult recipe off and on for years. I came very close to perfection two nights ago. My wife and our house guest are still talking about it days later. Some things just don't allow a substitute, 

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 09:35:16 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal