Author Topic: Glider Wing Flight Pattern - HA1325 - Light Wind  (Read 3518 times)

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Glider Wing Flight Pattern - HA1325 - Light Wind
« on: June 08, 2022, 02:29:13 PM »
I'm typically not a huge fan of light wind winging on flat water, like when the consequences of coming off foil result in cursing and a heart rate near max, while struggling to get back up.  I find myself hesitant to work on new transitions and will safety surf to some degree.  I also do not really like mowing the lawn.

This post is about something to do while mowing the lawn, which kept me interested, keying into foil control, and turned a light wind session into a memorable one. 

Session was on the Armstrong 1325 with 50 fuse, 195 tail with a .5 shim. Wind was very light (lightest I've been in with this wing and foil and maybe winging in general). Flying a 5M OR Glide. Wind was 7-9.5 knots is my best guess, with very light surface texture and micro wind chop. 65kgs 60L FG.

Reason for this post is that I'm starting to dial in this 1325 and 5M OR wing and get to know them better. I want to try and describe this turn/flight pattern I was doing that felt amazing. Lately, I've been really enjoying powered up S turns with the 725 and 925 (especially on waves and bumps) and this session I tried them with the 1325 in the flat water.  At first the turns were a bit cumbersome and awkward, especially with barely any wind to 'power' the S-turns, I adapted and incorporated altitude trimming through the linked turns, with a small amount of power, drive, and balance coming from the rigid 5M.  I would suck up my knees through the heelside turn, resulting in a diving toeside turn before repeating.  The 1325 truly feels like a glider airplane.

In other words, the pattern went like this: Starting high on foil before diving down into my toeside turn (sheeting in briefly), I would then bank back onto my heel rail and gain altitude to the top of that turn arc (Sheeting in throughout the heelside turn - gaining speed),  before almost stalling and diving back on my toeside decent, in a repeated flowing glider flight pattern. Think of it as a foil pumping motion, but slower cadence with a banked turn at the peak and trough of the sine wave. I was imagining what it would be like to fly a glider airplane and pull this maneuver (much more fun than just up and down roller coaster). 

I do not think it is possible to do this flat water pumping for any duratation, as the hand wing really helps with drive and balance when needed.  This isn't the same as the figure 8 style pumping back and forth, which some can do, especially on waves.  This is banking one direction at peak and opposite direction at the trough. 

Initially I was allowing too much knee bend through this, similar to pumping, with my bent knees at the top and starting the diving toeside turn. Then I thought of KDMaui's more powerful straighter leg stance, which I find relies more on ankle pressure/precision. Surprisingly the added force/acceleration of the turns at top and bottom makes it possible for the foil to drive the majority of my mass, as opposed to the aided 'suck up the knees' standard pump.  The sensation was also heightened.

Flying the same pattern with different techniques was just a zen moment, flying in the sunset lighting. I will try and capture it on video to help aid the above shoddy description of the minutia of light wind foiling.  Anyways, hope someone tries this and pushes their light water winging fun.  Cheers.

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Foamranger

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Glider Wing Flight Pattern - HA1325 - Light Wind
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 10:15:51 PM »
  Thanks for the post, I’ll definitely be giving this a try. Some of my best sessions are in light wind on the ha1325. It’s petty much replaced my hs1850. The pitch sensitivity is not really a problem when winging (unlike prone surfing), especially since I finally got the 85cm mast. So much fun today linking S-turns with some ankle pressure on the 60 fuse, V200 tail, +1 shim. 70 kg 75L FG.  Cheers

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 06:32:59 AM »
The 1325 is a great replacement for the 1850 (I sold my 1850 and 2400).  The added glide makes it so much easier to link gybes and cruise DW on bumps.  Try the 50 fuse if you can get a chance, as it really frees up the wing to make more sudden pitch and yaw adjustments.  Sometimes the 60 fuse (70 definitely) will hold you in a wider turn than you'd like. 

Next chance I get i'm going to try the 100cm mast with the 1325 and 50 fuse and +1.5 shims and try this glide pattern.  Extra altitude for more diving speed.  Could be crappy, but worth a shot.  Just need enough wind to get up to overcome the added drag of the longer mast.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 06:42:38 AM »
nice right up VB. I have tinkered with this a bit. I am on 1099 in light wind. Here's another fun thing on big wingspan foils. Try slowing down to near stall speed and getting the foil almost to the surface. My 1099 comes to life when I do this. All of a sudden it becomes a lively carving machine. I am now moving a lot closer to the speed of the chop and can pull in and tap the energy. Once I figured out how to tap it, I no longer need the wing and can flag out and just  James Casey around the lake. Bottom line is: slow down. It is a different world below 7 mph. My wide HA foils will go fast, but the roll immediately gets locked in and that makes me sad. Another thing thats fun when I get my foil close to surface is to do little tip out carves and get comfortable with breaching. When I am going that slow it is not as scary to carve a tip out as when i am hauling ass. Send it!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 08:52:23 AM »
Thanks Daswusup!

Yeah great insight! The same session I was starting to realize the low speed, high flight really worked on the 6" little ripples, kinda mind bending!  Like, how am I not stalling??

I need to get over the fear of wing tip breaches ingrained in me since my early HS Armie days. I'm not worried when I have the wing in my hand, but up high, with no balance aid, it's all about figuring out the behavior of a new wing in different situations.  I just don't want to end up as a human kabob somehow  ;D

I tried the 1325 on a 8 mile DWinger a month or so back on the river in small bumps and it was awesome.  Then I tried it in the bay in bumps twice the size and it was a handful....locked in, shoulda grabbed the 1125. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 09:53:19 AM »
nice right up VB. I have tinkered with this a bit. I am on 1099 in light wind. Here's another fun thing on big wingspan foils. Try slowing down to near stall speed and getting the foil almost to the surface. My 1099 comes to life when I do this. All of a sudden it becomes a lively carving machine. I am now moving a lot closer to the speed of the chop and can pull in and tap the energy. Once I figured out how to tap it, I no longer need the wing and can flag out and just  James Casey around the lake. Bottom line is: slow down. It is a different world below 7 mph. My wide HA foils will go fast, but the roll immediately gets locked in and that makes me sad. Another thing thats fun when I get my foil close to surface is to do little tip out carves and get comfortable with breaching. When I am going that slow it is not as scary to carve a tip out as when i am hauling ass. Send it!

Wow, I've been playing with the same thing, thinking I'm kind of a kook to be intentionally slowing down my foil and getting way up on tiptoes with my 96cm carbon axis mast. I'm using the 999/390 combination that always feels like foiling with the parking brake on, but lets me stay high without the sudden speed bursts of a 400 tail, which are often accompanied with the slurp/splat of extreme overfoiling. At low speed I can tightly turn the foil and still switch feet in the middle of a jibe--more time to get everything done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Foamranger

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 12:12:21 PM »
 Ya VB, 50 fuse is the next item on my wish list. Like tail choice, another way to overcome the limitations of ha wingspan (if my reaction times are up to the task). Pedal to the metal definitely has it’s place when on tap, but for me foiling is all about exploiting the incredible efficiency now available- prolonging that magic zone just after takeoff when you look at the water and effortlessly synch with the movements of the surface energy…
  Cheers (obviously still stoked from yesterday’s session)!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 06:59:02 PM »
Here’s a clip of me the other weekend doing some powered S turns on a 925, but without the rise’n’dive elevation changes I was describing above. It’s crazy fun to go from downwind (6 o’clock) to directly upwind (12 o’clock) linking these turns.  The feeling sheeting in on the way upwind is so great. Doing this with music and a little pre sesh makes it all the better.   ;)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cd5dAhXgGas/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 07:35:57 AM »
+1 on the presesh and music.
The Dart is the best for powered carves down and upwind like you are talking about. The low aspect grunt in that wing gives me shiteloads of torque that can go full blast with a sheet in. I like to do the s carves and then on the downwind leg, just drag a wingtip to backwind and  initiate a carving 3. Speaking of backwinding, lately I have been playing with the Starfish. This is the most ridiculous thing I have done with my wing but its sooo fun. Everyone, please try a starfish next time you are out. You will laugh your ass off all the way across the water. If you havent heard of it, it's just point straight downwind and put your wing on your back, between you and the wind. The fun starts when you practice it on the beach(during presesh).
Send it!!!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 01:55:00 PM »
Ha! I had an accidental starfish during camera setup and presesh. Wing tethered to board leash….wing rose and dove hard before going up and over my head…board slid towards me while I was grabbing the tail of the wing to prevent it from flying into a family and my stab caught me in the back of the head….lucky I had the 195 sheathed and my gathe on …. I was like WTF just happened lol. Lesson learned. Anchor low and tight In front of wing before grabbing the end of the strut.

I’ve not committed to the starfish yet. Challenge accepted!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 08:03:24 AM »
I love doing the powered S-turns, especially with a bit of swell or even wind chop to bank off. That’s a great IG clip Graham

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal