Author Topic: crappy day - punctured my wing  (Read 5186 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
crappy day - punctured my wing
« on: May 30, 2022, 10:53:03 PM »
I had a tiny window of time this afternoon to get on the water and the conditions were perfect at my local.  I was rigged and on the water within 5 minutes of parking - I love that about winging, I've got my gear dialed and I just need to put it together and pump up the wing.

Off I go, the wind is perfect.  One reach out and I blow the first gybe heading back.  Board ends up foil up, wing in the water and down comes the foil right onto the canopy.   Damn it, ripped a nice big slash in the canopy.  So I swum in and taped it up well enough to get back out. 

I'm back in the water 20 minutes later and wouldn't you know it, the exact same thing happened again within minutes of launching.   This time it was way worse, the foil came down into the middle of the canopy and got itself so tangled up I have several slashes. GOD-DAMMIT.   At least nothing hit the bladder.

Winging for more than a year and this happens twice within minutes?  This sport sucks sometimes.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: crappy day - punctured my wing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 07:56:34 AM »
Most everyone gets that at least once. I can't count (or remember) how many times I've stuck a foil through a wing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 08:02:22 AM »
Sorry for your loss Jon.  :'(
I JUST posted bout how I fell into my lovely new GLIDE on the 6th session trying a stupid tack in the wake/waves of a fast moving ocean ferry.. And was able to barely foil the rest of the DW buying my nails that the 1mt long tear down the middle wasn't going to continue and maybe even damage the alula LE... it makes you realize just how incredible it is that we don't wreck our gear even more often than we do.

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
If I haven't put at least one hole in a wing from random crashes in the span of a month or two I'm pleasantly surprised. For now it's a lame part of the whole winging experience, especially if you have a light, HA foil that loves to flip upside down.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 12:18:32 PM »
this is such a gear intensive sport.  This is now forcing my hand at finally upgrading my board to a smaller one.  I think something more narrow and less volume would have kept the foil in the water.  And I just bought a reel leash, which I've been meaning to do for a while now, that might help too.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 02:32:08 PM »
Sucks Jondrums. I feel you.

If it makes you feel any better. I was already a pretty good winger when I got my current Sling Wing 5'4. IShe waas brand new and crispy,.... First time out, on the lake, I boned out a Jibe and sent my PNL185 through her. Big L shaped cut. Luckily had clear tape in my rig, taped her up and continued the session.

Took her home and did the ugliest patch job (Maybe Ill post a pic if I am not too lazy). The patch involved black RV Flex tape(Both sides of wing), with a thin line of Gorilla glue epoxy to keep the edges down, then after dry. Clear tape to keep the edges of the Flex Tape down even more, then more Epoxy to keep the edges of the Clear tape down...

I have like 150 sessions on her with no problems..

Ill tell you what sucks more than poking your wing out in the water.. Getting your ass handed to you when you come in from a wing session in the ocean... I was at Lincoln City in OR today and almost popped my ACL(for the third time) and almost poked a hole in my Brand new Sling Wing 6'4 and then am pretty sure I dinged the hell out of my Naish Wing Surfer 5'10...

Id rather foil surf than Wing foil in the ocean... the goings out and comings in at least were I go are NASTY..

-red

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 05:14:13 PM »
Damn! Bummer of a session for sure.  The reel leash will help immensely with this sort of problem. There’s hardly any yank on the board ever, so even if it ends up upside down, it would be the wind that would need to blow it over.  Board also will end up pretty far away on breach style crashes. You can also grab the webbing of the leash to prevent the board from reeling back (or even unreel it further) if the wing is in a precarious spot.

My only canopy tears have been entering and exiting. Once on a super light wind day where I was distracted and wandered downwind of my wing in knee deep water and a gust blew the 6M over my head and onto the waiting foil.  The second was super high wind with shore break and my board slipped my grip going over a chest high shorebreak and flew over my head landing right on my 2M. Frantic entry turned to even more frantic exit  :D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 05:33:38 PM »
Bummer to hear that Jon. 

I've been wondering if my 6' shortboard comp leash would be a good option connected to a waist belt. 

The so-called 10' coiled leash I bought seems quite short when the coil is in a resting state, and it feels like it is too short actually and would create a lot of rebound as it stretches out.

Thoughts?
Sustainable Surf

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 07:22:12 AM »
Almost 3 years of winging and never punctured a wing but I did do this to a new board recently by being stupid AND hitting a fish. Can anyone tell by the pic how my stupidity came in to play?

FoilColorado

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 09:11:48 AM »
Hmmmm - leash was wrapped around mast when you went over the bars after fish impact? Large fish?!?

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 09:51:09 AM »
Almost 3 years of winging and never punctured a wing but I did do this to a new board recently by being stupid AND hitting a fish. Can anyone tell by the pic how my stupidity came in to play?

Holy sheizer! How could you even get up and foiling with the drag from the leash around the mast? And was there any innegra or carbon mat around the tail of that board or just glass?? Wow! That's some serious damage and YES how big (and slow) was the damn fish?

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 09:52:28 AM »
Yes exactly!! I hit a fish and crashed, board spun around wrapping the NSI leash around my mast. Started riding again and didn't notice the leash had wrapped around the mast. Rode for awhile and hit another fish at speed dental flossing the tail of my board. Big striped bass all over the place.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 09:54:08 AM »
Very strong board all carbon by Camet. Took a lot of work getting the leash out of the board.

gneve_foil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 11:30:27 AM »

Does your leash have a rail saver? I went with the Creatures of Leisure Foil Coil leash. I attach it to the back of my harness and remove the rail saver from the board when not riding. It's short enough that it stays out of the water but long enough when I crash that it's not a pain to untangle myself. Make sure your leash string is short so the rail saver is what comes in contact with the rail.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »
leash saver would not stop that.

My guess, because the webbing leash reached it’s stretch limit, it was able to rip through the tail being wrapped around the mast. It had a 2:1 purchase.

A urethane surf leash might have just snapped.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal