Author Topic: requesting light wind jibing help  (Read 3615 times)

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
requesting light wind jibing help
« on: May 29, 2022, 07:42:16 AM »
Improved technique and (especially) having a 7 meter F1 CWC have allowed me to foil in lighter winds, which I am really enjoying. However, I find that if the wind is light enough that I have to pump the wing like crazy to get on foil, it is really hard for me to jibe without the wing collapsing against me before I can get it to attach flow on the new tack. I know this is because I am going close to the same speed as the wind as I head directly downwind – I just don’t know what to do about it.  Trying to aggressively push the wing to the new side has not worked. Best I’ve done is to try to pump the foil through sharp turns at relatively low speeds, but that hasn’t always worked.  Grateful for any solutions or advice – thanks!!!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: requesting light wind jibing help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 07:57:37 AM »
What worked for me in light wind with the 6M CWC is pumping the wing as well as the foil as soon as I'm going downwind. it's a much wider turn but with the weight of the wing I found that I can't let it stall or I end up in the the same situation you mentioned. At least it keeps me going but I'm sure there's a better technic?
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 08:07:06 AM »
Light wind jibing is difficult, mostly because the wing drops as the wind disappears. It's actually easier to tack since you don't have to manage a slack wing trying to dip the end of the strut in the water. Either a behind the back tack or a overhead tack will keep the wing out of the way, but you need either some serious speed to make it through the eye of the wind on foil, or a very glide-y foil.

It's also easier to jibe if your jibe doesn't figure on any help at all from the wind. If you learn to jibe with the wing luffed straight overhead or trailed at your waist the wing will behave better. You still need a tight turn and you absolutely have to finish the turn completely before you try to get serious power from the wing. The only other choice is pumping like crazy, both wing and foil, all the way through the jibe. And in a lot of cases that upsets your turn enough to end in a splash. I'm a pro at the latter technique--including the splash. Given my druthers in light wind I'd rather fall tacking than jibing. It's easier to get going again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 08:24:45 AM »
I’ve been wondering if it’s possible to “tack” the wing through a jibe in very light wind. Get going as fast as you can in a puff, as you come out jibe(but passing wing over head like a tack) in the lull, get back in the puff as you come out. Haven’t nailed my normal tacks yet so just theoretical for me. As for your question, I find rigid handles let to hold the wing horizontal, so when the wind briefly reverses the wing just passes through it. Also, on both jibes I extend my hand out forward/outside of turn, then at that critical moment whip it across to the new front hand, so the apparent wind the wing experiences switches immediately from one side to another. Like a mini Heineken.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 08:32:49 AM »
Tacking the wing through the jibe is a good description of what I was babbling about--luffing straight overhead. I find it to be more or less the only way to successfully light wind jibe, though I'm sure that's more my limitation than anything else. I switch feet in the middle of the jibe or tack, so I have a good timing event to decide when the wing stitch should happen--after I switch feet and I'm settled into completing the turn.

Also, my fake boom makes all these sorts of transitions easier. I doubt I could get even close with just floppy handles. I'll see how well rigid handles work once I get to try my D-lab.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 09:18:39 AM »
I'll see how well rigid handles work once I get to try my D-lab.
D-Lab?? Is that for kidney stones? 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 01:30:11 PM »
Yes. After you spend 1500 bucks for a wing you'll fire those puppies right out your urethra.

It's the Duotone Allula wing.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 08:26:47 PM »
Back winding it against you is all technique. Just keep the wing parallel to the water while you jibe. Otherwise you can “throw” the wing away from you right as you turn and it will stay over there.

The harder thing is keeping speed on super light air. I find that you can pump the foil through the whole jibe and are able to jibe through anything foilable. Not super easy though.

sunsetsailboards

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 10:55:00 AM »
this is an apparent wind problem.  In light wind (or if you are really fast), you can outrun the true wind while heading downwind, and the apparent wind swings opposite of the true wind.  You want your wing LE pointed into the apparent wind, so this is where the duck jibe type techniques work well (duck jibe, oversheet backwind jibe, heineken jibe).

instead of pointing the LE upwind into the true wind in the turn, you want to do the opposite and point the LE downwind into the apparent wind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal