Author Topic: Ginxu step hokum  (Read 10227 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ginxu step hokum
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2022, 03:42:21 PM »
Another nudge back on topic! Doesn't seem to be game changing tech from this review...

https://youtu.be/jcqzdVbY5b4

I guess it depends who you ask. Seems like the poor reviewer was force fed a humble pie :D
My first time on a sinker board felt like a game changer, where the game was rigged against me. He sounded just like me describing my experience after that session :P

Hmmm, perhaps. I get that he might have had issues with the instability getting started, which is one of / the main drawback of the design (as well as weight), but I still think that he'd be able to articulate the standout benefits of the board (which are supposed to include easy take offs, easy touch downs) if it really does offer something revolutionary. If it's such a difficult design for an intermediate (as a minimum) rider, does it have any business being applied on a board of that size? Maybe at 82L but the range goes up to 120L!

I remain to be convinced, but will keep an open mind. I'm sure the design have some benefits, but there are clear disadvantages too. I've tried to interpret the German reviews, but the auto translate is mainly spouting gibberish...

Few take aways from his review is that this board is really hard to get started whatever that means. He repeated this mantra few times. In reality this board should be easier to get started if we are to believe the marketing.
The other observation is that this board was not as effective on touchdowns as the drifter which is again counter to what the marketing would have us believe.
in progress...

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2022, 08:37:02 PM »
I've tried to interpret the German reviews, but the auto translate is mainly spouting gibberish...

To my ears, most board design jive talk sounds like a bad German translation.  :o 8) :P

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2022, 09:30:51 PM »
The old maxim of board shapers is that clean design makes for great boards, and wacky tails make for great sales. For some reason, people think fanciful tail designs are important, but in general, it's the least important element of board design. I think foil boards might be an exception to that rule since they spend a lot of time in the air, and the transition from floating to two feet above the water is critical. But I can't help but call bullshit on this design. It looks like wallet bait.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2022, 09:35:42 AM »
The old maxim of board shapers is that clean design makes for great boards, and wacky tails make for great sales. For some reason, people think fanciful tail designs are important, but in general, it's the least important element of board design. I think foil boards might be an exception to that rule since they spend a lot of time in the air, and the transition from floating to two feet above the water is critical. But I can't help but call bullshit on this design. It looks like wallet bait.

That's a great line, going to steal that. But substitute lines so that the rhyme matches  ;D  "clean designs make for great lines, wacky tails make for great sales"

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2022, 11:33:11 AM »
Just read some feedback on Seabreeze forum saying how the rider felt more connected to the foil and the foil felt smaller/more responsive. This sounds like the benefits from riding a shorter mast to me. The Ginxu clearly does make your effective mast length shorter, and there are cheaper ways of getting the same effect!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2022, 10:09:41 PM »
There seems to be mixed feelings about the board.  For me, the width is a no go, specially in the bigger sizes.
After riding 22 and 21 inches wide boards, I have no interest in a board over 22 inches. Reaction, tight turns, etc are much better under 22 inches.
These wide boards are good beginner boards.
For now, I’m staying with my 5,4 by 22 KT drifter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal