Author Topic: Doutone D-Lab. And yes, I had to screw with it.  (Read 3542 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Doutone D-Lab. And yes, I had to screw with it.
« on: May 12, 2022, 08:20:53 PM »
I picked up a new Duotone Unit D-lab 4.5M today. At 1600 bucks a wing I won't be buying many of these, but it's a very cool wing. so of course, the first thing I did was modify it.
The handles are great, they're very well connected to the Allula strut, but there's a gap in the middle. I might be able to get used to that, but I don't see why I should have to. I have bits of carbon paddle shafts, I have velcro, and I have tools. OK, done.

This is attempt number 1. Some idiot screwed up the measurement.

Try #2, nice fit, and it's strong as hell, but I think I'll put my harness lines on the actual handles on top of the velcro straps. There's something unnerving in relying on half of a carbon tube to support a lot of weight. I want this mostly for transitions and for one-handing with a harness. That little gap in the handle strut looks ideal for a 3D printed sliding lock that will clamp the handle tightly to the strut. I'll probably do that, though it will certainly take beaucoup many tries to get it right. But I can see a sliding doohickey that pops into that slot and locks the handle down.

85 grams with straps. The wing is silly light so I don't want this handle to have any extra weight.

I was going to 3D print some end caps that would fit into the gap in the handle struts, just for a little more security. But I'm still reassembling the printers I shipped from Maui, so that can wait. I mostly posted this pic to give our OCD admin the willies. He can barely enter my shop and has to avert his eyes from the larger bits of entropy gone wild.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 08:35:47 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Doutone D-Lab. And yes, I had to screw with it.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 09:00:05 PM »
That shop makes me turgid.
 8)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 09:31:09 PM »
I think my "shop" would fit on your workbench :)
Good job on that handle, that gap is too big and it sucks to grab empty air.

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 08:10:27 AM »
Wow - If I had that many tools, I could be even better at breaking stuff. ;)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »
pls tell me you didnt build (weld) the table..................
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 09:35:46 PM »
This is probably a terrible thing to say, but this is just one corner of my shop.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 10:09:54 AM »
Great writeup Pono. Thanks for sharing -red

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal