Author Topic: Strange PM's regarding your FS item?  (Read 2549 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Strange PM's regarding your FS item?
« on: May 12, 2022, 01:57:15 PM »
Anyone else getting suspicious PM's from another member regarding your foil equipment for sale here in the past few days?
It's possibly legit but if there's more than one of us...

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Strange PM's regarding your FS item?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 02:13:12 PM »
Any time I do a foil transaction I include a phone call.  It’s hard to fake being totally foil brained.  Also keeps you from accidentally selling to a kook.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 07:14:27 PM »
There are bots skimming over every accessible website searching for someone to make a few cents from. It's a pain in the ass, but it's part of the environment.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 03:06:08 AM »
Scams are usually easy to spot as they never directly mention the item or know what it's used for. Any replies that I'm not sure about, I usually ask them questions that directly refer to the item. That will make most scams obvious.

One time a CL reply was so vague that I simply replied back telling them that they sounded suspicious and asked if they could be more specific. It turned out to be legit.

I've never had any problems or strange PM's selling stuff on the Zone.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 07:58:40 AM »
I noticed another trend, but it CL crap.

When you list something to give away for free people reply with “pls pls get back to me asap, Im ready to come over any time”. As soon as you say lets meet at public place - they never resurface again.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 09:05:48 AM »
I've been selling cr@p on Ebay  (and everywhere else) for 20+ years and yeah, the scams are generally pretty easy to spot. Over on the Ikitesurf classifieds though, the scammers had learned the lingo and could discuss foiling (it's since shut down).

Red flags here were "a friend wanted to buy the item", the friend was currently in Thailand, texts through Whatsapp were working and the guy could discuss foiling but had either poor service or other phone issues so couldn't video conference. Regardless, wanted me to take Paypal but ship to other than his verified address. Bear in mind this all from an internally generated PM here. Nope!

Bad enough I will get a 1099-K from both PP and Ebay for 2022, now anything over $600 in transactions (was $20K last year) you get one and that goes for Venmo too. The only payment service not required to send a 1099-K is Zelle for some reason. I'm sure my accountant will want an extra $100 for that... BTW, make sure your buyer has a US based PP account or you'll be hit with about 5% in fees.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 09:11:37 AM »
If selling locally, I always meet in a public place if possible. I don't want the buyer to know where I live if for some reason they're not happy with the purchase. Everything I sell is sold as-is. All sales are final.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal