Author Topic: Is Kenalu still in business?  (Read 12265 times)

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is Kenalu still in business?
« on: May 12, 2022, 01:01:23 PM »
As the subject line states, just wondering if anyone knows if Kenalu is still in business?  I broke a shaft and I've reached out twice over 2 weeks about their "forever paddle" policy and have gotten no response.  Thanks.
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is Kenalu still in business?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 07:12:16 PM »
I'm just guessing, but I suspect not. We're back in Hood River now, when I see Carmen, who runs the company that cleans our house, I'll find out. Carmen has done all the shipping for Ke Nalu since the first few months we were in biz--made in china, shipped from Hood River. I sold my interest to Lane many years ago so I don't know for sure, but Carmen would.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 09:13:46 AM »
Thanks Bill.  I had a gut feeling this was the case.  There was another thread on here a while back about their blades being out of stock with no eta on getting more which added to my suspicion.

Guess I'll be retiring that paddle, which is sad since the blade and handle are in great condition even after years of use. 
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 09:41:07 AM »
Lots of sources for replacement / alternate shafts. Kenalu have a smaller than normal shaft diameter.

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/45021 

Bill could probably confirm the inner and outer, but this is about what my Kenalu shaft measures.

For standard SUP paddles, this is what they recommend.

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/45530
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:48:12 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
I'm still using mine, repaired one of the blade last year.  Having try other paddle since this shaft solve my shoulder issue when I was using a stiffer shaft.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
site looks operational and seems there is stock
i will take better care of my manas -- and my hoaloa too, for that matter

hopefully they are ok -- always enjoyed working with lane -- he got me a paddle stat before a trip a couple years ago

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 03:54:50 PM »
Hopefully they're still in business.  If not, anyone got a flexible xtuff shift I can buy..

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »
Ya, the website is up and running.  I guess I just am having a hard time getting myself to pay full price for a shaft when the website advertises a "forever paddle" replacement policy.  Kinda hurts when the shaft alone costs almost as much as a new paddle.   

I decided to cut the broken shaft down (split upward from the blade about 2.5").  Have a feeling it's going to be way too short, but tbd.  Maybe it'll work for my smaller boards where I'm lower in the water.

And thanks TallDude for those links.  I'd been eyeballing some cheapy carbon shafts on ebay wondering if they'd be worth a crap.  I have a feeling the one you linked to are probably a better option. 
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 08:26:45 PM »
I (re)snapped by carbon shaft (not Kenalu) recently.  The previous repair had two layers of carbon wrapped.  Only lasted a few months.  For the second repair, I removed the carbon from the previous repair.  I found a $10 wooden dowel that would slide inside the carbon shaft.  I scored the dowel like an X using a table saw.  I applied a liberal amount of gorilla glue on the wooden down.  I applied a couple tablespoons of whipped gorilla glue foam inside the shaft.    Then I inserted the wooden dowel inside the carbon shaft and taped it to prevent expansion.  Feels bomber now.
I really like the feel of a wooden shaft, hard to find now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 08:40:12 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 09:32:04 PM »
Ya, the website is up and running.  I guess I just am having a hard time getting myself to pay full price for a shaft when the website advertises a "forever paddle" replacement policy.  Kinda hurts when the shaft alone costs almost as much as a new paddle.   

I decided to cut the broken shaft down (split upward from the blade about 2.5").  Have a feeling it's going to be way too short, but tbd.  Maybe it'll work for my smaller boards where I'm lower in the water.

And thanks TallDude for those links.  I'd been eyeballing some cheapy carbon shafts on ebay wondering if they'd be worth a crap.  I have a feeling the one you linked to are probably a better option.

KeNalu shafts are tapered, which is hard to find. Trim off that split and consider one of the extended handles.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 09:23:27 AM »
ah I see -- kenalu is very much in business -- youre just throwing crap bc youre not happy with the disposition of your broken shaft situation.

xtuf shafts are 145$ -- complete paddle about 475$ and up

not sure where youre getting a complete paddle for 145$

ive used kenalu for some 15 years. ive tried other paddles and always happily returned to kenalu.

and ive had nothing but good experience dealing with lane vs your disingenuous post.

anyone wonder who the problem is here??

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 07:28:23 AM »
I ordered a new shaft. Monday and it was shipped Tuesday.  I have four kenalus and never broke one. My new shaft is the xtuf because my shoulder needs more flex. Anyone looking for a deal on a used 100% shaft?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 10:36:28 AM »
lane steered me to the xtuf from the get-go, when i told him of my bad shoulders---like i say, ive swapped and bot other paddles---nothing has ever come close to my mana/xtuf/ergoT combo

you will feel much better with the xtuf
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 08:13:52 PM »
Yup. I don't stick with the xTuf, but when my shoulders are giving me problems I switch for a few weeks, and then go back to the 100. The xTuf is like physical therapy and a massage in one package.

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 09:36:20 AM »
ah I see -- kenalu is very much in business -- youre just throwing crap bc youre not happy with the disposition of your broken shaft situation.

xtuf shafts are 145$ -- complete paddle about 475$ and up

not sure where youre getting a complete paddle for 145$

ive used kenalu for some 15 years. ive tried other paddles and always happily returned to kenalu.

and ive had nothing but good experience dealing with lane vs your disingenuous post.

anyone wonder who the problem is here??

Why is my post disingenuous?  I never bad mouthed the company.  I simply asked if they were still in business b/c they never got back to me.  Responding to customer emails is generally good business in my industry, as is honoring your warranty posted on the company website.  Maybe that's not the case in your line of business.  And it wasn't like I sent an email saying, "Hey asshole, your paddle broke on me while on a surf trip to Costa Rica."  I simply asked if the "Forever Paddle" policy would be honored and sent a picture of the damage as they requested on the website. 

I got my Kenalu paddle for $275, brand new on sale.  A new 100 shaft costs $187, plus the $22-25 shipping, that's damn near what I paid for the paddle.  Sure, the X-tuf shaft is cheaper, but it's still $170 with shipping. 

For the record, I lost hope they'd honor their "Forever Paddle" policy, so I ordered a new X-stuf shaft on May 14.  They've taken my money but I have not received any type of update since the order confirmation email. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:41:01 AM by bigmak »
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal