Author Topic: Axis HPS 830 review  (Read 3374 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Axis HPS 830 review
« on: May 08, 2022, 07:13:14 AM »
Sickbird! Paired with crazyshort/325p/86 carbon and 4M Dart with 20-40mph 180lbs. My goodness. This combo reminded me of kitefoiling on tiny wings. Weird thing was that it glided and pumped like a much larger wing. It is only 1014sqcm. I have been riding in this tiny lake (20acres). BTW if you haven't tried winging in a small body of water, its really fun. The waves were whipping up to thigh high somehow. I had my most successful time to date of flagging out and connecting the bumps with pumping and gliding and turning all over. I'm sure the ultrashort/375p would up my pump a bit but I wouldn't want to trade it for the amazing turning capabilities of this kit. I got some of my highest jumps ever and the landings were cushy due to the small wingspan easily going back underwater. So stoked to have a foil for high winds. Can't wait to ride this in real surf. Got a couple of windsurfer water starts too(just a high wind thing). The narrow wingspan makes waterstarting less sketch because there isn't a lot of wing sticking out of water hitting my sail. Coming from mostly ART wings as of late, this one is refreshingly stable. I have found that certain bodies of water with mixed up current and refraction are challenging on the ART's. The HPS 830 doesn't flex and do weird chit in the most turbulent water.

Takeaway- if you are looking for a hard charging, high jumping, ridiculously turny, and still somehow amazing gliding wing- HPS 830. Send it!!!!

gneve_foil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis HPS 830 review
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 07:39:53 AM »
How would you compare the 830 to either the 799 or 899 in terms of speed?  Currently riding the 999 as my higher wind foil but starting to look for the next foil in the quiver.

Wave Chaser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis HPS 830 review
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 08:22:37 PM »
Daswasup, you know dat IS wasup!

I have about 10 days on my new 830.  Love it!  I am 140lbs (63.5kg), 86cm carbon mast, ultrashort fuse, and 350 tail wing.  I have about 70 sessions total winging so consider myself still pretty new.  Anyway, the 830 in my limited experience does everything well and is easy to ride.  Works well under or over powered.  Works well in turbulent water.  Seems to pump well, though I wouldn't know for sure. It even gets up in light wind at my weight.  Turns fast enough, but not twitchy.  Fast enough for my current skill.  Perfect for me.  I am going to stick with it for quite a while given that I am improving at such a slow pace.  Nevertheless, I can see myself wanting something a bit faster at some point.  A couple of times recently in bigger swells, all I could do was go straight (which was all I wanted to do since my adrenalin was already maxxed out!).  Once I get good enough to relax and be in control in bigger swells,  I would like to be able to turn more on the face, which would require more speed.  Or yet even more speed in order to glide out in front of a wave, bottom turn and head straight back at it, top turn, and repeat.  Maybe the 830 is as good as it gets, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.  But if any of you around my weight have any thoughts on how small I could go to gain glide and speed without compromising too much... your thoughts would be appreciated.  799?

999 is my light wind wing.  I like it for the amazing glide and for feeling the power of little weak waves / bumps.  Very fun in flat water or small waves with smooth water in between.  I agree with Daswasup that the 999 does not like turbulent water.  I also don't like using it powered up.  Just barely enough wind power to get up and its magic.

I learned on the 980 / short / 420. Although stable and easy to get up, it felt slow in both speed and turning.  I know some people love the 980 (heavier folks), but at my light weight, it just had no excitement for me.
5'9"
140lbs / 63kg
Axis HPS 830, Ultrashort fuse, P350 tail, 86cm carbon mast, 45l Axis Froth board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal