Author Topic: A few questions?  (Read 3734 times)

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
A few questions?
« on: May 06, 2022, 01:59:41 PM »
I'm competent winging, last 2 years.

I've purchased a 6'9 sup foil board and had my first session today. No problem paddling catching waves and getting airborn. Some epic wipeouts and I had great fun. It was small about 1 to 2 foot.

Q1 Does anyone ride a really short mast in beach breaks. I had 70cm. I only intend surfing small beachies

Q2 I choose a far to big front wing. What do people use at my weight. 78 kgs , small waves.

It was good to feel humbled today, I love learning..
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A few questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 02:40:25 PM »
Kind of hard to recommend anything w/o knowing what the "far too big front wing" was, and why you think it was too big (breaching too much or something eles?).

Sounds more like a matter of moving everything back in the boxes, b/c if they're indeed "small waves", better having "no problem...getting airborne," than it is struggling to get off the water and keeping it in the air with too small of a front wing.

You're not a fly weight at 78 kgs (just about 5 kgs less than myself), and have a long enough board (my surf sup is 5"1), so you should have plenty of weight and length to control the pitch (which I'm just guessing to be your problem) in pretty much any size wing in "small waves"...if everything is setup properly that is.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 03:04:16 PM »
Yeah , I should have said ..it's a mid aspect 2100cm3 wing I learnt to wing with and use very occasionally when the wind is very light. I just felt I had way to much lift and everything felt cumbersome. My normal setup for wing 1350cm3 is 5'  75L and today was 6'9 120L and it felt big. When foiling I was moving my feet and weight forward to keep the board down and didn't breach once. I struggled with when taking off going straight turning to trim the face I ended up doing a 180 turn facing out to sea ..lol ...and gliding for a few seconds.. ha. Mostly it just felt big. I'll try my normal wing next time . Just interested what size people use in small waves at my weight
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Wing 4m and 5m Airush

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 03:22:18 PM »
If your getting up fine then getting over baked you need a  faster wing, not because a smaller  wing will make less lift but because it will get you out in front of the critical section out to the shoulder.

I live on the east coast with garbage waves (Florida is a surf destination for us) and I ride a 1000 at 220 lbs.  I wouldt grab a wing that small out the get go but there’s a reason almost  every company makes something semi high aspect at 37” wide and 1100 to 1400 sq cm (lift 170, Naish 1240, gofoil 1150, uni hyper 170).  Armstrong stupidly doesn’t have anything like this because armie had to be special and jump from the too slow/low aspect HS series straight to that ridiculous monster 1125 HA but screw that gear it’s trash anyways.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 03:30:26 PM »
Thanks EastCoastFoiler. That makes sense .

What about size of mast, it was pretty shallow. My normal winging mast is 85 and I had a 70 today. Felt I should have had shorter. To people use 45, 50, 55 regularly?
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Wing 4m and 5m Airush

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 03:59:59 PM »
70 is perfect. I wouldn’t go any smaller.    I run a 26.5 but know others on 28 and 30.  I think the longer like 80cm masts are too much because the foil is a little farther from the surface energy and it’s just more mast to flex and more to swing in turns. 

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 04:18:48 PM »
I know a guy that rides a 16" mast. He never wants to hit rocks. It just makes the sweet spot smaller though. 70cm is about as short as I'd ride. Tried a lift 24" and didn't like it. I would ride my 85cm at all times if it wasn't for a couple spots that need the slightly shorter mast due to shallow reef.

Prone foil and Wing Foil.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 11:28:09 AM »
My normal setup for wing 1350cm3 is 5'  75L and today was 6'9 120L and it felt big.
Yeah, since you're an experienced foiler, you should have no problem flying a 1350 in small surf. I'm typically on 1290 or less in everything in the surf (currently having a blast on the Axis ART 899 and 999 wings with SAs of 850 and 1038 respectively, even in knee high mush with the 999)...on a 5'1x 102L board.

When foiling I was moving my feet and weight forward to keep the board down and didn't breach once. I struggled with when taking off going straight turning to trim the face I ended up doing a 180 turn facing out to sea ..lol ...and gliding for a few seconds.. ha. Mostly it just felt big. I'll try my normal wing next time . Just interested what size people use in small waves at my weight
I think you'll find much more success with your smaller wing, especially if you can find a smaller board (a foot shorter than the 6'9 at least, and less volume - 105 or less) to go with it.

I see more folks starting out in the surf struggling with too large of a board, more so than too large of a wing. Bigger board are like you say, just so cumbersome, and oftentimes have a mind of their own, and with so much board out in front of the mast, pitch becomes much more accentuated than that on a shorter board.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 02:03:11 PM »
Thanks for your input California. The board does feel like a beast compared to my wing board. The smallest board (non foil) I sup surfed was a 7'4 hypernut.  I was just airing on the side of caution but maybe wished I'd gone smaller.  I'll try my smaller foil next time..
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Wing 4m and 5m Airush

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal