Author Topic: Weight to Liters Standing Schlogging formula?  (Read 3664 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Weight to Liters Standing Schlogging formula?
« on: May 01, 2022, 02:47:14 PM »
Wondering if there is any rough formula for figuring out the minimum volume needed for a given body weight to schlogg back in standing up when the wind has a major fade?

Scenario would be wind drops to the point that can not get up on foil, but there is barely enough wind to schlogg across or spinnaker back to the beach. 

Example: I'm around 100kg all up and cannot standing schlogg on a 95L board, I make it about 5 feet and then fall in.  Kneeling is worse and can't do it all nor knee paddle back in.  So how many extra Liters of volume would I need?

Similar Scenario would be hit a big hole or up and down wind and need to be standing to catch the micro puffs that come through.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Weight to Liters Standing Schlogging formula?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 04:54:59 PM »
From my experience the specifics of the shape has a lot more to do with stability than volume once you have a board that floats your body weight.
I have much more positive experience with boards on the wider side with sharp boxy rails. Length played a minor role.

For me at 85L a 4'10" x 26.5" was more stable than a 5'4" x 25" same boxy shape and both were more stable than the 5'5" x 27 88L Armstrong shape.
in progress...

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 10:37:39 PM »
I ride 85l for 75kg.
In flat water i can slog in next to nothing...but that is not a realistic scenario at all.
When the wind really  drops the chop stays, so if you do not have some pressure on the wing the board will stop and wallow ,no support from the wing, i have to sit or kneel.

It is a compromise, for me and my conditions +10l is good enough.Lets me have fun foiling with a good chance at returning without paddling...most times :(

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 12:09:25 AM »
I’m 77kgs before I eat.

My 5’4” x 26 95L board was sloggable with technique in anything
My 4’6” x 22.75” ~70L board is sloggable in ~6knots plus. If it’s just below foiling wind speed I have no trouble slogging. When it’s drops to under 5 I’m in trouble and have to sit like a surfer and make 1knot. It gets going in the same wind, just low wind slogging is lacking. I get better at it each session and I even did a slogging jibe the other day.

So I think my minimum sloggable board for 1+ knots is between +0l to + 15l. Width seems to be irrelevant, but length is a major factor. I always fall from leaning back or forward too far on my 4’6”.

Fanatic 2022 95l is for sale in monterey

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

My current guess is +10L would make schlogging survivable for a short distance.  And +20L would make it easy without a huge weight/size increase.

Hoping to hear from folks who have tried several increments in volume...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 09:50:02 AM by clay »
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 02:57:58 PM »
There's a lot of focus on volume that only makes sense when you're comparing boards with a similar design.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 03:51:34 AM »
Here in Florida, we are expert Scholggers come August and September.

For me, it wasn’t about whether I could putt putt home, but what if I fall doing it. What happens when the wind almost shuts down completely between thermals puffing by. I’d fall. Then I could not stand again until good wind returned. This meant sailing on my knees all the way home. This is what totally screwed my knees forever. They recovered, but now I’m extremely sensitive to inflammation and pain should I sail on my knees even a little.

So now my board is sized to allow me to just stand up, should the wind crap out. I never sail on my knees. The board is not any more volume, just a wider, thinner, distribution of volume. I’m at +10 liters. I went from 26 wide to 28 wide.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 07:46:12 AM »
I totally agree with your conclusion, that it's important to have a board you can actually stand on if there's any chance of not being on foil. In my case 75 years of poor posture, ankle injuries, and all the compensation those factors imply screwed my knee--wingfoiling just made it more obvious. Working with a good physical therapist has been making the most useful changes. I'm really glad my knee doc didn't just give up and replace my "bad" knee. I still need a lot of work, but I'm making progress.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 03:23:46 AM »
I think the total weight of the rider should include: rider + wetsuit + wing + water in wetsuit.  The + 10 L recommendation over rider weight sounds logical.  If the rider + gear weighs more than the displacement volume of the board, it is a sinker.  Then you are water pushing when trying to slog.  If rider + gear weighs less than the displacement volume of the board, you can glide.
For light wind kitesurfing I was using a longboard (guild factor of 0.8).  Later I tried kitesurfing with a SUP (guild factor of 1.2) in light winds.  The SUP was noticeably easier to survive the lulls (i.e. not fall) when there was very little pull from the kite (surfboard would sink).
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 07:41:44 AM »
If I were going to optimize a board to deal with this issue (I'm not) I'd look at length at least as much as displacement. Standing on a short, wide, thick board in any kind of chop is like standing on a ball. You might be able to do it, but it's going to be a long afternoon getting anywhere that you want to be. I'm aware of all the benefits of shorter boards, but we're talking about compromises here. For me at 100kg, that would mean 6' long, 30" wide, and 120-130L. Hmmm, that describes most of my boards, both wing and surf foiling. Okay, my wing board is 5'11", but still... I'd say any board built for a geezer with a screwed knee would work for you. And yes, I can schlog a board that size from the outer reef at Ka'a to the beach, or across the Columbia with a wing or paddle. I've done so too many times to count.

Geezer board = schlogging board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal