Author Topic: Foil boards breaking from bottom lam fatigue  (Read 11229 times)

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil boards breaking from bottom lam fatigue
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 12:46:10 PM »
The Blue Planet Tuttle/track strongbox might be an option worth checking out

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 01:50:06 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcN-tiaqd_l/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thx!
This one is crazy thin, 11mm in the thickest center section...wow.
I asked but they will not reveal what's inside :)
Here is their web
https://hydrofoil.de/products/hydrofoil-de-disc-pumpfoilboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 08:39:12 PM »
Solid titanium. The board, IS the box.  ;)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2022, 03:10:04 AM »
Ok,so 2 more (partial) stringers added.It is 100g more, now i am just shy of 1kg before glassing  but i think this is stronger and eventually lighter than adding lots of carbon layers to the bottom.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 05:08:14 AM »
This is a relatively easy problem to solve. Track boxes are needed and making them bombproof is possible .  First, never rely on foam alone (no matter the density) to support the track boxes.  Using wood sheets or panels is better but they are at risk of taking in water and rotting.  once rotted, only the foam remains.  Using glass and carbon sheets to attach boxes directly to both hull and deck is definitely better but there remains the problem of reinforcing in front of the boxes to eliminate the failure due to the extreme cantilevered forces.  Many of us just put sheets of carbon laminate forward of boxes on both hull and deck .  If all that is done it is usually enough, for a while anyway.  I've also added to this the use of carbon fiber arrow shafts.  They are designed to resist compressive forces as the tube geometry itself is far stronger than most flat sheet geometry especially when dealing with compressive forces. Not only do I use them to attach the boxes to both hull and deck( about 10 posts , 5 per box) , I also implant them longitudinally along the boxes and forward of the boxes along the hull, being sure they are firmly attached, but just under the skin. For a pump board, I would use 4 full arrow shafts.  For thicker SUP foil boards, I use 2. Seeing as the hull is sustaining mostly compressive forces, I only place them in the hull.  The tensile strength of the carbon sheeting on the deck is more than enough.  I will try to post pics but have no time now.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2022, 05:31:08 AM »
Photo

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 05:32:52 AM »
Photo

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 05:34:34 AM »
Photo

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 07:23:36 AM »
That looks really bombproof!
Thx for the pics, i will probably copy some of that when i make a wingboard.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2022, 08:37:28 AM »
You can get free carbon arrow shafts if you going to archery range or shops, people usually throw it in the trash when it snap or crack.

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2022, 09:03:10 AM »
Pilars + divinycell + carbon deck and bottom.  Trick is the d cell goes all the way to the front foot.  That’s it.  If it stops shy it’s dead.

Did the math and this board is going on 1000 miles on wave hard pumping prone, hard groundings 220 lbs have killed 3 foils with this board plus 1 gofoil front wing.

0 flex.  I can stand on the board and wrench the foil full strength and no movement.  Sit on the wing with a buddy feeling for flex on the bottom and nothing.  That’s the real test….if it flexes at all that means eventually it will fail.  Sitting test is a good one.  Think about all the power going in through the front foot on hard pump through the board into the foil.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2022, 09:53:46 PM »
DISCLAIMER: I'm going to preface this by saying that the board to be pictured below is over a year old, and the manufacturer is now using a completely different method to install boxes.

That said, this board was brought in for it "leaking where the red arrow is pointing" (just to the right of the blade guard), and no other apparent damage....

Upon opening, this was found....

Everything seemed to be intact; foam a little waterlogged, but not crushed. Although...

Further inspection with some poking, pushing, and prodding this was discovered...

A complete break of the one box, and the Divinycell obviously cracked that can be seen in the above pic when you look closer now knowing that it's there.

Talking to the owner, he didn't remember hitting anything, but obviously something hit something to cause that kind of damage to the box.

So right now, I'm of the opinion that - outside of the Chinook boxes that I've not seen used in person yet, but they look beefy and impressive - we've yet to see boxes made specifically for the rigors and stresses put on them in foiling applications.

I've used the dual stinger method (w/o any HD foam) gluing the entire length of the boxes to the stingers that run from tail to just shy of the middle of the board for 5+ years now, and have never had any breakage or delam, and have smacked a bottom or two with them over the quite a few years of foiling in way further than I know I should be.

But I'm also not saying that that's the ultimate answer or solution, and that there just might be a touch of good luck to go along with that install method.

Chinook boxes are absolutely the strongest boxes I've seen or used. I installed probably 30+ mast tracks in boards. My choice of boxes is #1. chinook
#2. Future Strongboxs

Everything else breaks as far as I've seen.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal