Author Topic: Have any of you experienced vertigo?  (Read 9743 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have any of you experienced vertigo?
« on: April 25, 2022, 09:02:55 AM »
After 7 straight days of 4m winds and winging like crazy, I have been experiencing vertigo. Awful feeling like a bad amusement ride you can’t get off  I believe I got some water in my ears from wipeouts and probably the cause.

Trying to get a Dr appointment,  but wondering if any of you have experienced vertigo and what did you do about it?

Thanks
Don
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Have any of you experienced vertigo?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 10:26:58 AM »
I've been diagnosed with BPPV in the past, and have had great results with various at-home positional maneuvers/exercises.  If you happen to have  BPPV, your Doc will show you some simple exercises to mitigate it.  In the meantime, if you search on BPPV you will find a ton of information. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 02:28:04 PM »
Yup. Anything that makes the little crystals that bump around in your vestibular apparatus stick to the walls will give you vertigo. I've had it following virus infection, and once when I spent an hour or so working on repairing some pipes with my head down in a hole. The virus thing lasted about a month--not fun. The funny head position lasted about two days. I tried the BPPV exercises, and they initially made it a lot worse but finally cleared it up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »
Thanks Bean and Bill good feedback. I havent yet heard the term BPPV from the doctors as yet. I tried those same positional head exercises and they sent the room into  spin and me dizzy and running to the bathroom to throw up.  Sitting at Drs now, they did some tests, hydrated me and gave me anti nausea meds. I pray this is very temporary as it is awful.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 04:56:27 PM »
Don, bummer about vertigo. I am sorry and hope it resolves quickly. On a side note.....I was thinking about you just the other day. I am headed to Marsh Harbor on Thursday to deliver a boat back to Maine. I have been to the Exumas but never the Abacos Islands. I am arriving a few days early. Is there anything I should check out? Somewhere cool to stay. You are the best and only expert I know on the Bahamas and Caribbean.
New England Is My Playground

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 05:15:51 PM »
Hey Marta, good to hear from you, fun trip ahead.  Marsh Harbor/Abaco’s were wiped out by hurricane Dorian 3 years ago.  I am not sure what has reopened been rebuilt as I haven’t done any business there since.  Being so close many of my Bahamas customers would come to Florida to meet with me, so only been to Marsh Harbour a few times over 30 years and not to surf....sorry.  Plenty of internet sites for Bahamas surf spots and I know it can be very good. Bring board for sure
I know Elbow beach or reef was a surf spot near the lighthouse.  Used to be a popular Inn near there ..good luck. Post photos if you score
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 05:17:27 PM »
I've been diagnosed with BPPV in the past, and have had great results with various at-home positional maneuvers/exercises.  If you happen to have  BPPV, your Doc will show you some simple exercises to mitigate it.  In the meantime, if you search on BPPV you will find a ton of information.

Update, my dr said I have vertigo most likely caused by the sinusitis /sinus infection I also have..double dose of crap, but at least I know what I have and mostly why....got to stay out of the water and no rum for 10 days...real bummer.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 09:25:35 PM »
Yes, the positional exercises did the same thing for me, but I persisted, and it eventually worked. A good thing, I was getting very grumpy about falling down every time I turned my head.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 12:00:37 AM »
Carib, I had it for a while. On and off for years. I actually took Flonase which helped (yes, sinus related) but also know that it can be a viral infection in your ears as well.

The exercises didn't help me either. Try to give them a solid try but if that infection goes away with antibiotics that's cool. But anti-virals might be worth trying if not or if it's recurring.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 11:11:07 AM »
Flonase is good for a lot of problems. It restored my sense of smell and muffled taste after sinus polyps pretty much killed it. Removing the polyps (arrrgh! that sucked) fixed the source of the issue but didn't restore my senses. A little Flonase did it over time, I'm not sure how. The doc told me that obstructing the sensors for smell causes your brain to shut down the signal pathways. His notion was that Flonase ensures the scent molecules are getting to whatever sensors are still working and reboots all the pathways. Whatever... it worked. Just be careful not to get hooked on it. I haven't used it for years, but every time I get a stuffy head I think about getting some. But I don't. I think using steroids for that is using a hammer to kill flies.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 11:13:12 AM by PonoBill »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 12:30:59 PM »
...no rum for 10 days...real bummer.
Other than the no rum part, that's great news!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 11:57:38 PM »
I've had it mild a few times and was able to do the Dix-Hallpike maneuver to correct it. Not sure what caused it? The most recent time I had a very scary moment. I had had an inflamed inner ear which happened soon after having my teeth cleaned. Sometimes when they are poking around in your mouth some bacteria can follow the Eustachian tube into your inner ear. It felt like my ear hadn't popped like when driving down a mountain. Went to an ENT who said I had swelling in my inner ear. He said oral steroids' for a couple weeks will eventually reduce the swelling, or he can stick a needle through my ear drum and inject a steroid and I will have immediate relief.
But, he has to put a hole in my ear drum 3 different times 3 weeks apart. I opted for immediate relief. They warm the steroid so when it enters my inner ear it's almost my bodies temperature. He said " because of the difference in steroid temperature and my bodies temperature, I'm going to spin until my body heats the steroid to my bodies temperature. One ear being a different temperature than the other causes the spinning. " Spin I did, like a sick amusement park ride. The spinning stopped after about 30 seconds.  Fast forward 2 months, and I'm heading to Hawaii to see family and surf. The ENT pressure tested my ear and said I'm good to surf, but wanted me to wear ear plugs. I've never worn ear plugs surfing.
 Last day surfing Tonggs I got caught inside and took a few on the head. After the two or three waves I came up, opened my eyes and everything was sideways. I thought this is how people drown. I closed my eyes, grabbed my board and bear hugged it as another wave hit me. I rode it towards the shore which was only about a 500 yards away. Once I was clear of the waves (reef break) I remembered what the doctor had said about a difference in ear temperature will cause you to spin. I felt my ears and noticed that one of my ear plus had come out. So I pulled the other one out and opened my eyes and the vertigo was gone. Haven't had that issue since. I will never wear ear plugs surfing again.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:01:31 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 07:15:10 AM »
While not exactly vertigo, I once got a dizzying dose of food poisoning (Thanks Laird's Superfood Mushroom blend protein shake) while on the water.  I downed the shake then went on an upwind mission.  Made it about 20 minutes upwind and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I could barely stay on my board and luckily I was directly upwind.  I had to sit on the board and sail home in spurts while I had strength. 

When I made it to the beach, I had to crawl onto shore and holler to a little kit to get their mom so she could call my wife for evac.  I literally couldn't stand up.  Being dizzy and nauseous at the same time is literally the worse thing ever.  Every second takes an eternity.  A few rounds of puking and a nap had me feeling all good. 

Hope your vertigo passes quick!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 07:35:02 AM »
..." because of the difference in steroid temperature and my bodies temperature, I'm going to spin until my body heats the steroid to my bodies temperature. One ear being a different temperature than the other causes the spinning. "

Learned something new TD, thanks! 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 08:53:01 AM »
Great story Tall Dude , glad you are recovered.   My wife sent me a link to ear plugs, not sure yet. I think this is a sinus issue that caused vertigo for me...the 2 times I tried the head position exercises, the spinning was way too much for me and I immediately threw up and had cold sweats. It literally exhausted me and I was spent for hours and queasy..  Don’t want to go through that agin. I am hoping the antibiotics cure the sinus infection which in turn will get rid of my vertigo.  It’s definitely less than it was as I can get up, sit down, walk without feeling  dizzy. Side movements of my head I can start to feel it a little.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal