Author Topic: Winger's Knees - not abrasion  (Read 10723 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Winger's Knees - not abrasion
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2022, 01:10:31 PM »

Dwight i am curious what your technique is to get to a standing position without kneeing first?  Can you describe in detailed steps how this is done?

I don’t sail on my knees is more accurate.

I climb on the board and press the leading edge of the wing down hard onto the deck of the board. The wing pressed onto the deck creates stability for the board. While pressing it down, I just stand up. Ass toward the sky, still bent over pressing the wing on the deck. I grab the nose handle and stand upright real quick.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2022, 01:57:26 PM »
I've got to try that. Mark Raaphort's wife Donna does that, and she asked me why I didn't. I have some trouble getting to my feet on a SUP Surfboard too these days, but that sounds like a workable technique.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

rfhestdalen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2022, 06:56:28 PM »
climb on the board and press the leading edge of the wing down hard onto the deck of the board. The wing pressed onto the deck creates stability for the board. While pressing it down, I just stand up. Ass toward the sky, still bent over pressing the wing on the deck. I grab the nose handle and stand upright real quick.
[/quote]

ok that seems like a pretty big finesse move.  i would think pulling the wing up from a bent over position would throw your center of gravity off and really make the board unstable.  im going to give it a try but a video would be helpful. 😏

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 03:41:50 AM »
I don’t sail on my knees is more accurate.

I climb on the board and press the leading edge of the wing down hard onto the deck of the board. The wing pressed onto the deck creates stability for the board. While pressing it down, I just stand up. Ass toward the sky, still bent over pressing the wing on the deck. I grab the nose handle and stand upright real quick.

How small of a board are you doing this with and what do you weigh?  I'm thinking about getting a shorter board but don't know if I'll be able to knee start it in the chop at my age.  This method might be the answer.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 05:46:29 AM »
I can do this stand up start on a 5'2" x 26" board at 140lbs. But, I can't do it in any but the smallest chop really, or ocean swell for that matter. I can only do it on the days with wind so low I'm struggling to ride.

SUP skills help a ton here. It's one place old SUP paddlers have an advantage.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 08:51:34 AM »
...but a video would be helpful. 😏

Check 9:30 - 10:50 for similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMJZZMJcv0
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 09:53:22 AM »

How small of a board are you doing this with and what do you weigh?

190 lbs. 5’0 x 28 x 95 liter. 

Not having too much volume packed into a small size helps. So wider and thinner is better than narrow and thicker. I’m also adding dome to the nose of my personal boards. It adds hidden volume at the nose. It helps a lot with stability.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 05:23:45 PM »
I’ve just added seated wall squats to my routine. Legs literally shaking after a minute.  Pretty weak if you ask me. Strong legs equal less stress on your joints.  Going to keep at it to prevent knee injuries and up my pump game.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 06:29:07 AM »
I’ve just added seated wall squats to my routine. Legs literally shaking after a minute.  Pretty weak if you ask me. Strong legs equal less stress on your joints.  Going to keep at it to prevent knee injuries and up my pump game.
Yes indeed - I think the strength benefits that we used to derive from SUP are not the same from efficient winging. Besides getting going and feeling it in my arms if I have not been out in a while - winging is not the same workout as getting out for a paddle on a sup.

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 10:49:50 AM »
I've made it a rule to never bend at the waist to get anything low to the ground or on the ground. I make myself bend at the knees. I also try to do an extended asian style squat several times a day. These personal rules have made a big difference in leg strength and flexibility. I know this isn't possible for a lot of folks. We all have our thing(s). My weak points are lower back, respiratory system, and my feet. Mountain biking and skiing have exacted their price on ribs and shoulder, but mostly recovered. Keeping active isn't for wimps.
Life Rewards Movement

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2022, 08:52:53 PM »
Spindrift, I've been working on my Asian squat for over a year. It's helped overall but I have to be careful with such a heavy stretch.

Supm, you clearly aren't pumping in light wind 😆 SoCal winging is 10x the workout of paddling.

And finally, if you wanna get views on a site full of old guys, post a malady. Hahaha.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal