Author Topic: Help on picking next board for big guy SUP Surfing on mushy waves  (Read 16909 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help on picking next board for big guy SUP Surfing on mushy waves
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 10:58:38 PM »
I'd recommend some Foote boards for the kind of waves you're dealing with, but Bill doesn't seem to be shaping anymore. So plus one for the L41's, which make mushburgers and closeouts feel like quality surf. So fast down the line, they are almost like a foil. Whenever L41's come up I remember the first time I surfed mine at Rincon and was able to link from the Rivermouth to the cove. Impossible with any other board I've ever used and my modest talents.

SUPs are not very welcome at Rincon, and when I came in a huge surfer walked up to me and said "can I see the bottom of your board". Oh great, thinks I, here's where he tries to break one of my fins off. But he just stared at the board a moment and said "that's sick, I saw how fast you were."

I surfed mine a lot on the Oregon coast in the usual summer mess, and it was spectacular.

Mine was 8'8" X 32". Super stable, but I surfed it like Talldude does--feet planted, like a shortboard. I walk all over my 10'4" Foote, but for the L41 I only occasionally move my back foot to the rail to tighten up a turn, and that's super rare and generally unnecessary. All I needed to do is bend my back knee and it turns hard, you can see that in Talldudes video. Leaning back just a little bit hits the accelerator--very strange feeling. You can make closeouts that you wouldn't normally try for.

I pretty much exclusively foil now, but if I came back to SUP, the first step would be to order an L41.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 11:19:43 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2022, 08:48:10 AM »
What you need is a board with hard edges nose-to-tail, which generate a lot more speed in mushy flat waves. 

I get my custom SUPs from Ry Harris in Los Angeles, and I helped him design this board. Using the George Greenough "edge board" concept. 
https://www.ryharrisshapes.com/collections/pro-models/products/the-edge-sup

It's uncanny how well this design works when done properly. There's a lot less drag from water wrapping around a round rail. Yet you still have all the edge control of a round rail.

Ry can make it any shape or dims you want, and his quality is excellent.  Zero waste factory too.  Made in the USA.

A variation on this coming is the upcoming Infinity Wide Speed.  If you can get one...   

A custom board is $1800.  But a custom is 100% worth the extra spend if you're trying to optimize your board for conditions, your body size and ability. I'm a big guy too and stock board sizes always introduce compromise to what my actual needs are.   
Sustainable Surf

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2022, 11:26:35 AM »
Yes, George Greenough "edge board" and Bob Simmons "Simmons shape" influence really make the most out of mushy waves.  It's worth giving up a little maneuverability for speed.  I actually like the loose/skatey feel of my Mini-Simmons.

Check out the new Infinity Wide Speed, probably checks most of your boxes.

Big Fat Honu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 11:06:25 AM »
Thank you everyone!

After doing some studying on the suggestions I've narrowed it down to the Sunova Speeed or one of the the LT41s. Going to reach out and see what the timelines look like.

I like that both those styles offer strong stability even at narrower widths and that both are meant to plane easily and provide maximum of speed down the line. They also both look like they turn easily and even if I go big like a 9'5" to get extra float I doubt I'd have much trouble carving hard with my 220lbs weight on the back :)

Now the tough part will be if they tell me it's 6 months to get one. I guess my backup plan for summer is that hobie but after seeing these other boards I'm really interested in them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:09:46 AM by Big Fat Honu »

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 11:33:22 AM »
Hey - not sure if this is still avail - wrong coast but could be an option for you 🤙
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37815.0.html

Big Fat Honu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2022, 08:32:02 PM »
Hey - not sure if this is still avail - wrong coast but could be an option for you 🤙
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37815.0.html

Awesome, thank you! I sent him a message. No shops on west coast have much for Speeed inventory so it would be a long wait. Also emailed about the L41 so interested to hear their timeline. If I can get that used one and get it shipped safely out here that would be awesome.

Big Fat Honu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2022, 07:35:06 AM »
Just heard back from surfcraft and turnaround time is 8 weeks which is great. Sounds like the L41 ST is quite the board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2022, 10:46:46 AM »
If you do get the L41 I recommend Futures Controller fins. I tried a lot of fins with mine and always came back to Controllers, which Kirk recommended for the board. They feel a tiny bit less skatey than typical dolphin quads, but they made even my weak wiggle-waggle turns feel powerful and committed. I'd swear they're faster too, but that's probably just in my head, and L41's have all the speed you need with even the worst set of fins I tried.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2022, 09:44:18 PM »
"My current board is a 9'8" x 33 x 4.7 168L Riviera El Tigre Wide and it's the golden key board so far for this spot."
Being that your current board is 9'8" x 33", I would think that you would be happy with a 8'8" x 33" L41 (155L-165L).  In my opinion, L41s have the paddle power of a board that is 1' longer.  I would encourage you to go wide, for stability.  My L41s go from 28.5"-30.5", with guild factors of 1.2-1.4 and I only use them when conditions are glassy.  I prefer other boards when the conditions get choppy.  Your conditions sound extreme.  I've danced with less than ideal conditions, and my experience mirrors yours.  You feel the chop, you feel the current, you feel the wind.  Width is your friend.  Shorter is better than longer.  I have been trying to go shorter.  For these conditions, I have been using a guild factor of ~ 1.5.  I started off with the 9'4" x 33" Blue Planet Fun Stick.  Then moved to the 8'10" x 32" Starboard Wide Point.  Later got a Starboard Hypernut 8'6" x 31.5" and was blown away with the stability, best of the bunch.  Currently I am on the 8'9" x 31" Jimmy Lewis Wide Point (with keel fins), which is less stable (narrowest of the bunch) and has a pulled in nose.  Both the Hypernut and JL Wide Point feel to be in the same class as L41, but the L41 is hands down the fastest of the bunch.  Agree with PonoBill, Controllers all the way for L41s.
No experience with Sunova, SUPtheCreek is a great resource.  If it was me, I would lean more towards the width of the Shroom over the Speeed for your conditions.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 09:52:58 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Big Fat Honu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2022, 08:27:17 AM »
Pulled the trigger on a L41 ST after talking with Kirk.

Decided to go with the 8'10" just to maximize paddle power and volume as I'm not getting any younger or smaller. Even so the 8'10" should feel like a good step down from the 9'8".

Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice. Now we play the waiting game :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2022, 07:36:07 PM »
Perfect 8)
You are going to learn to love that board. I'll wait with you ;)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 06:55:25 AM »
Cool, save yourself some time and effort and get whatever fins Kirk recommends. I tried a lot of fins with my L41 looking for a little more bite. Any fins that tracked better slowed the board drastically and didn't really make turning better, just locked down the tail. A little skidding is fine when you have so much speed at hand. It is a big step down in length, and getting used to the small sweet spot takes some time. Just persist and in short order, it will feel easier than a board you have to shuffle around on to turn.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2022, 11:50:26 AM »
PonoBill,

Re:  "Leaning back just a little bit hits the accelerator--very strange feeling. You can make closeouts that you wouldn't normally try for."

Can you explain a bit more what is happening?  Weighting the back foot a bit more while going straight down the line?

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2022, 08:25:01 PM »
The fins that came with my L41s were Controller Quads.  I tried others but those are the best for quads.  Keel fins are fun if you want to try twin fins: i.e. Rasta.
Re:  "Leaning back just a little bit hits the accelerator--very strange feeling. You can make closeouts that you wouldn't normally try for."
Can you explain a bit more what is happening?  Weighting the back foot a bit more while going straight down the line?
Clayton Nienaber explained how when you put a surfboard on rail, it accelerates because there is less surface area in the water.  Riding a surfboard flat is like riding a hydrofoil without being on foil, then when you put the board on rail, is like a hydrofoil lifting the board out of the water and now with less drag, the board accelerates.  L41s are not as fast as hydrofoils but they are the closest a SUP can get.
With a wide tail board, the tail doesn't bury like a pintail.  So when you push on it, it pushes back.  I think TallDude said that a ST has the feel of a skimboard, shooting you forward.
Some boards ride better off the tail and the ST is one of those boards.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 08:27:49 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2022, 09:11:10 PM »
PonoBill,

Honestly, I have no idea why that works on the L41s, it certainly doesn't on any other board I've been on. I have actually had the board shoot out from under me by just leaning back a little bit. You get used to it quickly and brace to make it work, but it's not intuitive. It's like going faster in a car by hitting the brakes,  and it fucks you up for other boards for a while. Imagine leaning back on a regular surfboard and expecting it to accelerate like mad. Most of the stuff that works wonderfully, like turning by skidding the tail, doesn't work at all with other boards.

The best "explainer" for L41s is Talldude. I've watched him surf his, and he gets everything out of it. I think he's married to his.  Watching a guy who is at least a foot taller than everyone else on a mini-sims that looks like a toy skimboard under him accelerate in a wave like he's got a motor is really startling and impressive.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:17:25 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal