Author Topic: Wingfoil board for supfoil?  (Read 10230 times)

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wingfoil board for supfoil?
« on: April 14, 2022, 09:04:45 AM »
Sorry guys, I know this topic has been discussed, but I cannot find it in the search. I am 91 kg, an experienced sup surfer, surfer, and maybe a low intermediate Wingfoiler and tried some supfoiling on my 140Lblue planet last summer. I have a 120 L wingcraft Wingfoil board that I transitioned out of quickly down to one of Dwight‘s 105L boards that is perfect for me to Wingfoil on, but I would love to use my 120 L Wingcraft to supfoil small to medium size waves. My regular SUP board is a 130L board but its 8’ and man it tracks better than my 6 Wingcraft but I can still paddle the 120L with J strokes. Thoughts? Thanks.
Sorry Dwight, the 105L is only good for supfoiling on glassy days and in the Pacific Northwest that doesn’t happen  ;D.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wingfoil board for supfoil?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 09:26:13 AM »
Sounds like the 140 litre blue planet board needs another go for your rough conditions.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 11:36:03 AM »
You already have the board, why not just give it a try.  Most people have issue with paddling a short sup because they don't have the j stroke master yet.  But doesn't seems like your case.  The only issue i see is there isn't much nose rocker, you might have to adjust your take off where you might have to put more weight on your rear foot to get the nose up a bit.  I convert my 6'8 surf sup (with plenty of nose rocker) into a 5'3 foil board and it took me a few session to adjust to the take off position(feet and wave position), you will need the wave to be steeper or get push by the white water to get enough speed to get on foil.  I think the 120L wingcraft with flat rocker will get you speed up faster than my continuous rocker.

I'm now at the point where I want my next board to be similar to Kalama E3 DW or the new Kalama Barracuda, long and ultra narrow.  My whole envisioning from the beginning of sup foiling is to catch unbroken wave(big or small) and the short wide foil sup isn't allow me to do that.  Again you should give your 120L board a try, it might take a few session to get dial but I think it will work.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
Curious - what model of 140 L Blue Planet board were you supfoiling on? 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »
Yes I should have asked that as well - personally- I’m on a 98 litre east foiler which I use for both wing and sup foil - works well for me.

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 02:10:21 PM »
You already have the board, why not just give it a try.  Most people have issue with paddling a short sup because they don't have the j stroke master yet.  But doesn't seems like your case.  The only issue i see is there isn't much nose rocker, you might have to adjust your take off where you might have to put more weight on your rear foot to get the nose up a bit.  I convert my 6'8 surf sup (with plenty of nose rocker) into a 5'3 foil board and it took me a few session to adjust to the take off position(feet and wave position), you will need the wave to be steeper or get push by the white water to get enough speed to get on foil.  I think the 120L wingcraft with flat rocker will get you speed up faster than my continuous rocker.

I'm now at the point where I want my next board to be similar to Kalama E3 DW or the new Kalama Barracuda, long and ultra narrow.  My whole envisioning from the beginning of sup foiling is to catch unbroken wave(big or small) and the short wide foil sup isn't allow me to do that.  Again you should give your 120L board a try, it might take a few session to get dial but I think it will work.

Yes, thank you.  That is my plan, but knowing ahead of time if it is even worth the struggle is important.  Started wingfoiling with all of the wrong gear and struggled for months before realized I wouldnt get up without 25+mph winds with what I had.

surfwingsteve

• Waikiki Status
  • Just get me to the sea
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 02:11:39 PM »
Curious - what model of 140 L Blue Planet board were you supfoiling on?

The 144L easyfoiler I think?  I sold it, was too big and heavy to wing with, but actually pretty easy to paddle and catch waves with.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 10:17:37 PM »
I wingfoil will work if you have the right paddling technique and have access to good non crowded spot. You can catch the white water with small boards, but I have not seen anybody catching an unbroken wave in an small board.
I have been trying to introduce some friends into sup foil, all with very good sup background. All that tried with wing boards failed and dropped the project.
If you want to get into sup foil get a proper board.
After 2 years, I'm going long and narrow, but it has been a process. Now I don't want something wider than 23,5, it does not matter the conditions.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 02:39:51 PM »
The board below is 6' X 30" and ~ 105 liters.  I am 85 Kg.

Here I was paddling up in near flat water, unbroken boat wake last summer.  Using the GoFoil Maliko 280.  Big and Slow.  This red 'Fire Chicken' is also my go-to Wing Board.  Although I am looking to go smaller maybe 80 liters.

I use this Red board in everything from 0.5 feet comfortably to 6 feet.  IF the waves are going to be consistently 7 to 20 feet I will use my 7' 4" L41 converted SUP Foil board @ 120 liters.  When I first got this red board I didn't know how to catch waves, would stuff the nose, over rotate . . . .  Now I can catch waves in pretty nasty, bumpy conditions and definitely catch unbroken waves with the right foil.  Last summer it was the GL 210 and Maliko 280 in small, weak East Coast 8 second period stuff.  Catching waves 150 yards outside of long boarders who had NO hope of catching what I was able to catch. 

The point being when things are BIG or nasty you want a bigger board.  If things are big and fast - you want a bigger board.  Otherwise a small board will work in almost all conditions (< 7 feet) it just takes practice.

PS: This is still a 3 year old kick-tail design.  I am looking forward to a Kalama shape because flatwater, downwind and more gentle chips become way more possible.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSFNqxkfGGY

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 06:38:15 PM »
Sure, you can surf a wingfoil board. I used my 5'11" X 30" wing board to SUP foil quite a bit until my knee went a couple of steps worse and it took too long to get up. I'm 100kilos and 75, with shit balance.

Of course, I was doing that in Maui, with waves that only travel in one direction (usually) and 80-degree water. In the slop at Manzanita and Indian Beach I used my 8' X 31" L41 and still struggled a bit to stay on long enough to catch waves. I brought Mr. Fugly back to the Northwest (7'4" X33") and it made everything easy except carrying the waterlogged thing. After I gave Mr. Fugly away I SUP foiled my 6'2" X 32" flying dutchman wing board a few times with mixed results. It's stable enough for Maui, but I spent a lot of time in the water with it at Manzanita.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 10:46:00 PM »
I wingfoil will work if you have the right paddling technique and have access to good non crowded spot. You can catch the white water with small boards, but I have not seen anybody catching an unbroken wave in an small board.
I have been trying to introduce some friends into sup foil, all with very good sup background. All that tried with wing boards failed and dropped the project.
After 2 years, I'm going long and narrow, but it has been a process. Now I don't want something wider than 23,5, it does not matter the conditions.

You SUP a 23 wide board?!?!?!

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 12:02:58 AM »

You SUP a 23 wide board?!?!?!

Yes, 23,5  to be more precise. Full rails, and foil forward gives a lot of stability. I use it in every condition.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 10:09:26 AM »
The only thing I found with true "wing" boards vs sup boards is the mast and strap placement.

Everything on a wing board (mast and straps) is mounted further back than on my sup boards for good reason.

With wing boards you're using the wind to pull you up and want the board in more of a nose up attitude to lift off the "runaway" more in the manner of a airplane takeoff.

With my sup boards (5'1x27x102L) and my weight going forward over the front deck of the board when I reach with my first couple of paddle strokes, I'm trying to push the nose down over the lip of the "skateboard ramp" as I call it to then "pop" the board up when I reach that instant but late liftoff speed as the wave is just pitching and/or starting to break.

Much different takeoff techniques (at least for myself) with a wing board vs the sup board, and why I have different boards for the different disciplines.

The picture is my "wing" board and where the boxes are mounted (and they could actually be a little bit further back), and the screws sitting on the bottom as to where I'd want/need them at a minimum to use it as a sup board. Which I did try doing, and how I found that had the boxes mounted too far back and struggled to get it in the air with paddle in hand. :(

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:22:51 AM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 10:22:41 AM »
Califoilia, I forgot that I was using my wingfoil board when I foiled with you and the crew at San Onofre. Now you know why I fell so often, though that isn't my only excuse.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 10:46:53 AM »
Yep, and it wasn't until I was at Hood River at the AWSI with you PB, did I realize why I was struggling so much back home trying to learn how to wingding.

At Hood, I went out on the new Axis 5'4x105L Froth, and popped up easily for really the first time ever...even got pulled up toe-sided when I wasn't expecting it, nor was I prepared for. :o ;D

Our last day there, we were up near the Hatchery, and I was still able to fly all over the area there on the 5'4 even in lighter winds that day. Since I had my 5'7x105L sup board up there that I had been trying to learn on down here, I pulled it out of the van thinking I had this winging stuff all figured out now, and would be flying on my super light custom board. Nope...

With the same setup underneath both boards, I was unable to get the 5'7 off the water with where the wings and my strap was setup on that board, and that's when the light bulb came on to the difference in "wing" vs "sup" specific boards.

So funny thing; that picture above I had taken prior to leaving to HR, and sent with the board back down to Kings to have Dave move the boxes forward for me while I was gone.

Fortunately, he was super busy at the time, and when I got back home I called him to see if he'd got them moved yet. He apologized that he hadn't been able to start on them, and it was the only time in my life that I was happy as good be that someone didn't get started on a board or repair immediately, and had him "just leave them where they are!" That board wings great, and I couldn't be happier with it.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal