Author Topic: Longer foil boxes  (Read 3505 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Longer foil boxes
« on: April 10, 2022, 11:32:26 PM »
 I was dreaming of buying some kit again last night and then remembered I have no money and don't even get out on my SUP these days. Can't complain though.
 On this forum and others people are saying they would like longer boxes for various reasons. I was looking at inflatable boards and they have a plate setup. Why not use this system on hard boards as well? Then you could make them as long as you want.
 This would spread the load more. You could still have HD foam pillars etc.
 I know people have done carbon tracks but not really a plate system like on inflatables.
 You can buy sheets of carbon plate made up already. Cut some rectangles to make the boxes that you glue under the plate. I think you can even buy U shape carbon.This will massively stiffen the plate as well. You could glass over the boxes to be sure. Set the plate into HD foam. Then use a router to make the 2 slots. Glue the  block into the bottom of the board with pillars if you want. Then carbon patches over the lot and laminate as normal.
 Not sure weight wise how it would compare? Maybe it has already been tried.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Longer foil boxes
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 07:41:26 PM »
12" plate is up to $100. 24" long is like $300. Not sure I wanna go 10x my box cost. Did I miss a price?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal