Author Topic: 2022 New Wings Thread  (Read 44742 times)

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2022 New Wings Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2022, 09:14:23 AM »
I ride KT wings but have had the opportunity to try a pretty wide selection of brands with various handles and materials including Aluula. I really like the Slicks despite the added weight of the boom. Units are very nice too.  Duotone strikes me as having some of the most refined-looking wings on the market. Interesting thing is that going back to back with a current Aluula wing with all of the bells and whistles and then to my KT which looks quite minimalist in comparison, it's not like I'm disappointed in the performance of the KT. It's quite impressive the performance you can squeeze out of the KT and it's only a V1! Price for performance is pretty insane too. The long front handle on the KT makes tacking even in strong wind a snap as you can slide ride up behind the leading edge and shove it through the eye of the wind effortlessly. The KT just chills and hovers flagged out while you wave ride and the frame has good pumping/low end stiffness (something critical to me). All of this despite using Aluula or Hookipa, and keeping the price reasonable. Easy to fly one handed too as they nailed the balance of the centre handle. While I like seeing the exotic materials pushing the design envelope, it's also cool to see what designers can do with standard materials while keeping costs in line and performance as high as possible.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2022, 01:57:04 AM »
I ride KT wings but have had the opportunity to try a pretty wide selection of brands with various handles and materials including Aluula...

That's a great post, and a good reminder that design as well as materials make the wing. I admit I've been frothing over the new exotic materials over the last 12 months or so, and my new wings do have some novel material choices (when they eventually arrive!!!), but when I was deciding what I wanted next, longevity of performance was close to the top of list so that went into the mix. Having the best performing wing is great, but not so much if that performance only last 3 months before becoming average...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2022, 12:28:21 PM »

I just know certain protoypes are more powerful for the size than my dlabs and don’t have the stalling issue that I have. Based on other people better than me racing them and trying them all. But you can’t buy a prototype so I’m hoping some of these come out soon and to hear peoples feedback.

I’ve ridden several prototypes with Ken. Ones coming next season, and one just beginning long term durability testing, so probably a very long way out.  I know I’m in the right camp, and I’m not leaving. Duotone forever. The hack brands will get left in the dust eventually.

FYI, Ken is now focused solely on wing design. Kite design is moving to Sky Solbach. They are really getting serious on winging.

Could you please tell him to fix the leading edge handle??  I just got a 4.5m unit.  Really like the wing, but omg that leading edge handle is complete garbage.  It's like nobody actually rode any waves while testing.  I guess if you're just going straight on a wave it's ok, but if you're turning and trying to move the wing around while riding waves the handle doesn't help one bit, just twists and turns with no response from the wing.  The strut handles are so good, it completely blows my mind that they would put such a shitty handle on the leading edge. It's basically just a piece of loose webbing, almost like it was a complete after-thought. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2022, 03:07:02 PM »

Could you please tell him to fix the leading edge handle??  I just got a 4.5m unit.  Really like the wing, but omg that leading edge handle is complete garbage.  It's like nobody actually rode any waves while testing.  I guess if you're just going straight on a wave it's ok, but if you're turning and trying to move the wing around while riding waves the handle doesn't help one bit, just twists and turns with no response from the wing.  The strut handles are so good, it completely blows my mind that they would put such a shitty handle on the leading edge. It's basically just a piece of loose webbing, almost like it was a complete after-thought.

I also suggested the same.  It’s nice and stiff for next year.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2022, 09:34:52 PM »
I ride KT wings but have had the opportunity to try a pretty wide selection of brands with various handles and materials including Aluula...

That's a great post, and a good reminder that design as well as materials make the wing. I admit I've been frothing over the new exotic materials over the last 12 months or so, and my new wings do have some novel material choices (when they eventually arrive!!!), but when I was deciding what I wanted next, longevity of performance was close to the top of list so that went into the mix. Having the best performing wing is great, but not so much if that performance only last 3 months before becoming average...

I'm on the Allula Glides. My 5m i have 64 sessions on and running. The yellow UV covering is just starting to peal in isolated, high friction areas. I've been assured the Allula itself is the transparent material below that. The wing itself is at least 80-90% as stiff as it was off the hop. That says a lot-i am absolutely merciless on my gear.
 I fabricated a handle and boom to go with it (we are all waiting to the Carbon handles) which changes these wings to something quite remarkable.  Interestingly enough, if you can, compare the F1 Strikes to the OR Glides. Might make a guy chuckle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2022, 10:43:44 PM »

I just know certain protoypes are more powerful for the size than my dlabs and don’t have the stalling issue that I have. Based on other people better than me racing them and trying them all. But you can’t buy a prototype so I’m hoping some of these come out soon and to hear peoples feedback.

I’ve ridden several prototypes with Ken. Ones coming next season, and one just beginning long term durability testing, so probably a very long way out.  I know I’m in the right camp, and I’m not leaving. Duotone forever. The hack brands will get left in the dust eventually.

FYI, Ken is now focused solely on wing design. Kite design is moving to Sky Solbach. They are really getting serious on winging.

Yup. I like the wing, hate that handle. It's the worst leading edge handle I've ever used, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Most front handles are fairly wimpy. My Duotone wings flip over if I grab the front handle. WTF??
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2022, 02:51:16 PM »
I have finally got hold of my Takuma RSs and first impressions are good in nearly every aspect. I don't have too much experience on other wings so the comparison is going to be against my old Slicks (so I'm not going over the top with superlatives. If I say 'good', I mean it puts a smile on my face!) The other caveat is that I've just started running the Axis CS Advance fuse, which I've not fully dialled in yet, so working on two new things at once...

Initial power is good, although not super grunty, and pumping feels much stiffer and direct (so better than the Slick all round here). In flight, the outstanding feature is the draft stability - it just doesn't move which means that it just keeps pulling. The Slick was a bit unstable, so the power was always wondering around meaning you didn't get this continued drive forward. I always felt I was trimming the wing to keep the max power on. With the RS, especially with a harness, you hook in and hold on, as you get pulled faster and faster - pretty exciting ride! Very windsurf like...

Upwind is good, although I think I'm losing a bit with the adv fuse, but without going head to head it's very difficult to say as conditions play such a big role.  Downwind the RS is well behaved, way better than the Slick at staying put, and flies well, but you feel the weight a bit (on the 5.1) like the Slick if you want to move it around a lot, but not in an annoying way to me. I think this is from the inherent profile stability it has but also the outright weight (not measured the head to head weight). The leading edge handle is nice and also big, so knuckles are well away from the leading edge although there is neoprene protection too.

The front strut handle is good, and its shape means it's a shorter reach under the wing to grab compared to the Slick when getting started. The handle is also nice to hold onto going downwind and swapping between that and the leading edge handle is really quick and easy. I'm usually holding the front strut handle right at the back when riding powered so not benefitting from the projection windward the deeper shape offers.

I'm missing not having a full length boom after having one for so long and have grabbed air enough times to buy a section of carbon tube to fill the gap. This will also allow me to optimise the position of my harness lines too.

I think the RS rotates and handles better than the Slick in transitions too although tacks have been less consistent. I think the adv fuse is playing a part here too and just need to get a feel for it. Jumping is also better, with more stiffness giving more loft and a more hang time. This is going to be a better freestyle wing for me too I suspect, once I sort out not having a boom.

The wings shipped with the wingtip battens installed, so they can stay in forever as far as I'm concerned. What little feedback I've seen was a bit critical of the bag - I thought it was reasonable (better than the Slick bags!), if a tiny bit snug to get the first section of wing all the way in (it's sausage shaped which gets a bit narrower towards the end.

For my local conditions, having a wing that is exciting upwind but also good down wind, with the promise of extended performance life with the X ply trailing edge is great. I'm not blessed with waves so will inevitably be on flattish water / wind chop most of the time so for me, the RS blend of performance is going to suit me really well... I'm excited to pump it up again! Wind gods may have other ideas though...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2022, 03:05:08 PM »

I'm on the Allula Glides. My 5m i have 64 sessions on and running. The yellow UV covering is just starting to peal in isolated, high friction areas. I've been assured the Allula itself is the transparent material below that. The wing itself is at least 80-90% as stiff as it was off the hop. That says a lot-i am absolutely merciless on my gear.
 I fabricated a handle and boom to go with it (we are all waiting to the Carbon handles) which changes these wings to something quite remarkable.  Interestingly enough, if you can, compare the F1 Strikes to the OR Glides. Might make a guy chuckle.

I am genuinely pleased to hear that about the good longevity. I decided not to go for Aluula this time after seeing the RSs, but perhaps after!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2022, 07:23:20 PM »
The yellow UV covering is just starting to peal in isolated, high friction areas. I've been assured the Allula itself is the transparent material below that.

OR replaced this one. A local riders. I’m still a bit sketched out by Aluula. I think other fabrics are going to win out eventually.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2022, 08:34:43 PM »
The yellow UV covering is just starting to peal in isolated, high friction areas. I've been assured the Allula itself is the transparent material below that.

OR replaced this one. A local riders. I’m still a bit sketched out by Aluula. I think other fabrics are going to win out eventually.

WOW. I've never seem that. You were a real proponent of those wings-certainly isn't the case now. Did they take care of you without any pushback?  It seems like you have some kind of beef with Allula and OR.
I wonder if it was an early release or batch issue. Hasn't happened here, and there are a lot of people around here, in Squamish and Nitinat lake that use Allula.
The price of inivation?  I wonder what's next from Allula, (not OR). Im pretty sure they havent stood still since they came out with it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 08:53:03 PM by Vancouver_foiler »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2022, 03:44:48 AM »
It was my friends Aluula, not mine. They replaced it.

I lost interest in Aluula long before this happened, simply because canopies reach end of life in 6 months at my use rate. When the industry solves that issue, I’ll reconsider.

I still have one Aluula wing myself.

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2022, 05:20:26 AM »
I haven’t seen anything like that either. Wonder if it has to do with heat?  Having experience with aluula I can’t really see abrasion doing that.

Im dying to know what’s coming from OR in 2023. Im close to pulling the trigger on some carbon handles but I want to make sure im going to be on OR wings next year before I make that purchase.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »
Review of the RS, in French but subtitles work ok.
Similar findings to what I said above, but with more detail, so although a positive review, he doesn't really make any comparisons to other wings on the market, which is a bit of a shame. He says it sacrifices some top end performance for some comfort, which works well for me in my gusty local spot. I'd use the word predictable rather than comfortable, but it's his review!

https://youtu.be/7_tE8JWvjHo
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2022, 06:06:44 PM »
Apparently for 2023 most wing manufactures will be offering wings with booms and hard handles.  Some, like Slingshot, supposedly will be offering all three options -- boom, hard handles and soft handles. If true, then there's something for everyone.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2022, 08:57:55 PM »
Ensis has some new wings for 2023.  A full boomed wing and a "race" wing with solid handles and canopy material that looks something like X-ply (I'm not sure what it is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4UwhE0JzWA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal