Author Topic: 2022 New Wings Thread  (Read 44725 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 New Wings Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2022, 12:24:43 PM »

Foamranger

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2022, 10:57:25 PM »
After years of resisting getting a wing with a boom I decided I needed to try one, so I went out and bought a new 5.0 SLS. One session so far, and the advantages and ease of use are real. Upwind ability, low end power, one hand riding, and ease and control during transitions was amazing. Was nailing my best tacks ever. However, after twenty minutes I grabbed the boom coming out of a fast tack and ended up with the boom in my hands and the wing flying around at the end of the leash, completely separated from wing. Fortunately, I was near shore, paddled in, and it looked like the Velcro was undone and nothing was broken. I’m often winging in cold water with a strong seaward tidal current and always try to have a self rescue plan. This was a problem I had not considered when I decided to try a boom. I quit using the Armstrong mini boom long ago because of Velcro failure. I think I attached the boom correctly and hope it stays on my next sessions. So it seems the advantages of the boom are impressive but the (not insurmountable) problem of how to best attach the boom to the strut could use some more thought. Meanwhile, I guess I’ll check the connection often, baby not manhandle that boom, and keep it out of the waves and sketchy launches

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2022, 11:36:57 PM »
You can absolutely manhandle duotone boom wings. Mine are bent from handling so hard.

Contact the mfgr.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »
Myself and a mate have last years Slicks, although the manufacturer says one boom fits all sizes we have both found that information incorrect. He had a boom pop off, on a 4 mtr due to being too short. We now have custom carbon booms for each size, the 4 mtr is the longest, even longer than the 5.5 mtr.
Make sure when you inflate, both the front and rear ends of the boom are snug in their respective caps, we found the 4 mtr had a 3cm gap at the end which allowed the boom to pull out. No problem with a slightly longer boom.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2022, 05:00:18 PM »
that's the worst part about the slick - the boom coming out that rear end because its not as long as it should be.  I solved that by drilling a tiny hole through the end cap and putting a piece of line through it to tie it in place.  Doesn't take much to keep it in place

sunsetsailboards

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2022, 11:08:03 AM »
Myself and a mate have last years Slicks, although the manufacturer says one boom fits all sizes we have both found that information incorrect. He had a boom pop off, on a 4 mtr due to being too short. We now have custom carbon booms for each size, the 4 mtr is the longest, even longer than the 5.5 mtr.
Make sure when you inflate, both the front and rear ends of the boom are snug in their respective caps, we found the 4 mtr had a 3cm gap at the end which allowed the boom to pull out. No problem with a slightly longer boom.

agree that there was something weird going on with the original 4.0.  Seems like the rear boom retainer pocket was several cm too far back.  If you pumped up the wings without the mini boom inserted and then laid the mini boom on top, the pocket ends would line up well with the ends of the mini boom on most sizes.  On the 4.0 it was off.

As with all Slicks and Slick SLS, it is important to check that the mini boom ends are fully seated halfway through inflation, and then finish pumping and recheck.  I did not have any problems with my mini boom coming out on my 4.0, but I have heard of it happening to a couple people.

If this were to happen to you on the water, one way to reinsert and get back to land is to push the tail end in first and bypass the webbing end stop piece, so you can insert the boom past its intended position.  This can give you some wiggle room to insert the front end into the pocket and get back to shore.  Probably easier said than done. 

Foamranger

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2022, 06:08:54 PM »
Update on my new SLS 5.0 boom issue. Second session- boom felt solid, no signs of it coming out of strut. Customer support rep very helpful with rigging tips- think I might not have paid attention when I attached boom first time out.
 Have gone from making 20% of my tacks to 90% in two sessions on this wing, a big deal for me making time upwind = ^^ fun.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2022, 02:32:39 PM »
I've heard a lot of brands are coming out with new materials this fall. That said, I think brands struggle to move on from bad shapes in the past and rehash them, based on parking lot talk. (i.e. having a baggy canopy and a shape that doesn't like to go upwind, but putting an aluula leading edge on it isn't going to improve things much).

Things I'm looking for in a new wing coming from D-Labs for racing/free-riding:

Low-dihedral
Low-stretch canopy material (not dacron)
Non-stretching LE material and shape (not dacron/ or 10+psi dacron)
Tight canopy (required for getting on foil in the lower half of the wind range of any wing)
Non-stalling at closely sheeted angles
Rigid handles

If anyone has ridden a wing like this let me know! I know there are prototypes out there.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2022, 08:46:57 PM »
I love the rigid handles of my duotone unit.  It flys great and goes upwind quite well.  But damn it if it doesn't flip over every single time its in the water.  Super super annoying.  I feel like something about the leading edge shape combined with exactly where the leash attachment point is placed is unstable.  At this point, I'm looking for Duotone to figure out making a wing stable in the water and it'll be the complete package.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2022, 08:54:54 AM »
I've heard a lot of brands are coming out with new materials this fall. That said, I think brands struggle to move on from bad shapes in the past and rehash them, based on parking lot talk. (i.e. having a baggy canopy and a shape that doesn't like to go upwind, but putting an aluula leading edge on it isn't going to improve things much).

Low-dihedral
Tight canopy (required for getting on foil in the lower half of the wind range of any wing)
Rigid handles

If anyone has ridden a wing like this let me know! I know there are prototypes out there.

Good points. I'll add bladder-less to the top of the list.

Not so sure why folks are raving about the Unit in general and the D/Lab specifically.
Tried both in various sizes, bought the 4m D/Lab and barely used it (hit me if you want one like new cheaper)

My Ocean Rodeo 4m running circles around this wing in almost every way that matters to me.
I really don't feel I need rigid handles for sizes 5 and down, 6 and up for sure but would choose the new
F-one Strike V2 handles on the smaller wings every time. Could even use those on the Ocean Rodeo.
in progress...

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2022, 10:28:30 AM »
I still LOVE my Cabrinha Mantis and can't hardly think of anything I would change on it..maybe an additional dump valve, but that's a minor detail.   The handles while plenty rigid for added control are very comfortable in hand and not hard plastic.  The Mantis wing is very light and plenty powerful and well constructed.  I chose the model with windows, but you get without which result in less weight.

If you want the control of a rigid handle without a full boom,  give the Mantis a try...

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2022, 10:34:50 AM »
I love the rigid handles of my duotone unit.  It flys great and goes upwind quite well.  But damn it if it doesn't flip over every single time its in the water.  Super super annoying.  I feel like something about the leading edge shape combined with exactly where the leash attachment point is placed is unstable.  At this point, I'm looking for Duotone to figure out making a wing stable in the water and it'll be the complete package.

It's called the Duotone flip! Been an issue on many of their wings.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2022, 02:07:24 PM »

Low-dihedral
Rigid handles

Good points. I'll add bladder-less to the top o

Not so sure why folks are raving about the Unit in general and the D/Lab specifically.
Tried both in various sizes, bought the 4m D/Lab and barely used it (hit me if you want one like new cheaper)

My Ocean Rodeo 4m running circles around this wing in almost every way that matters to me.
I really don't feel I need rigid handles for sizes 5 and down, 6 and up for sure but would choose the new
F-one Strike V2 handles on the smaller wings every time. Could even use those on the Ocean Rodeo.

Wild stuff.  I heard the exact opposite by at least three people who have tried both including some folks who had a quiver of OR and ditched it for units and rag on the OR stuff and the cabrinha wings.

It’s wild because there is an answer of which wing is better (not just these two) for going upwind, powered riding, pumping etc. Unfortunately all the nice reviews are done by shops who stock all the equipment they review. Even if they reviewed a gen1 unit and a dlab 2022 they would say “In conclusion, they’re both nice wings…”. Haha

Not being sponsored I’m happy to s***t on a bad wing, but I have only ever had duotones (echo / slick /unit dlab) and the wings I’ve shaken in the parking lot all seem like garbage bags, but I’ve never actually had a chance to use them (Brm, ozone, north, armie, etc.)

I just know certain protoypes are more powerful for the size than my dlabs and don’t have the stalling issue that I have. Based on other people better than me racing them and trying them all. But you can’t buy a prototype so I’m hoping some of these come out soon and to hear peoples feedback.

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2022, 02:33:46 PM »
I never seen an OR in the flesh but tried the Dlab and Unit.
Compared to a lot of other wings they feel very direct and close to nervous. That feel got extragated by the stiff handles. I guess some like it and some (like me) don,t.
Personally I was big fan of the Smik V2 wings; light, comfortable well balanced and as quickly going as the Dlabs. That was till I tried the Mantis V2. With windows its imo too heavy but without its a very wel build and still light wing. 2.7kg for an 6m with leash is pretty okay imo and it has the best handling in the waves of all the wings I tried so far.
It has stiff handles, but because of how they designed them, they have some flex and that ads comfort. I prefer that comfortable slightly more flexy handle over the very stiff ones. In the surf the biggest difference with most wings is that it has an wide but very stiff front handle.
When flagged you need to twist your wrist to compensate on the floppy handles, with this stiff one you have way more control.
It isn't a game changer, but is something that I would love to see on more wings. I have no affiliations with Cabrinha, but liked it soo much that I ordered a 4+5 as well while my Smiks are still in very good condition. It really feels like a next gen wing.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2022, 02:45:08 PM »

I just know certain protoypes are more powerful for the size than my dlabs and don’t have the stalling issue that I have. Based on other people better than me racing them and trying them all. But you can’t buy a prototype so I’m hoping some of these come out soon and to hear peoples feedback.

I’ve ridden several prototypes with Ken. Ones coming next season, and one just beginning long term durability testing, so probably a very long way out.  I know I’m in the right camp, and I’m not leaving. Duotone forever. The hack brands will get left in the dust eventually.

FYI, Ken is now focused solely on wing design. Kite design is moving to Sky Solbach. They are really getting serious on winging.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 02:54:09 PM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal