Author Topic: 2022 New Wings Thread  (Read 44727 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2022 New Wings Thread
« on: April 03, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
I considered starting a new thread for each new one, but let's see if one thread is sufficient for the time being.

There are three new wings that have caught my eye that have just been launched:

Takuma RS - have put deposit for pre orders on the 5.1, 4.3 and 3.5 with nothing but the brochure and my gut to guide me. The shop I'm buying through as said they're pre-ordering out fast which either means that supply is limited or interest high or both. Whatever, at least it's not just me who's taking a punt on these. I hope they perform as well as they look on paper, and would appreciate a review or two before I have to complete the payment to put my mind at ease!

Nova V2 - couple of reviews have landed in the last few days with general feedback being handles are great, flags very well (despite being heavy on the scales), decent power and nicely balanced. Interesting to me as they are very different to the V1 so a clear shift in thought, so a step up in performance you'd hope. Superficially look similar outline to my current Slicks which begs the obvious comparison if anyone has ridden both.

Airush Nitro - premium pricing due to Hookipa fabric. Again, very little out there in terms of reviews so interesting to hear how it stacks against the Aluula wings... The Nitro info quotes 'proven Ultra PE load frame' which I assume are the radial canopy seams you can see (which I think are in Hookipa too), which is a development I've been hoping for to improve canopy longevity / reduces bagging out. I'm going with the cheaper monofilm option of the RS for the moment.

Does anyone have first hand experience on these and could share? What do people think? Anything else that looks good that hasn't been discussed in depth yet...

Hoping to get the RS's in May so will share my thoughts when I can.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 New Wings Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 02:34:22 PM »
Interesting that most brands are heading in the fixed handle direction. It is definitely superior for control of roll and makes tacks etc so much easier as your not looking for the handles on your back hand.
I’m on slicks, after struggling with tacks awhile ago I had a slick demo, instant success, almost cheating. I’ve belted the board with the boom a few times and I wonder how the boards will handle the hard corners of the handles during a stink bug.
I saw a pick of a Slingshot boomed wing, so maybe the Slick won’t be the only boomed option now the Echo is gone.
Weight versus longevity is always an issue, I’m on the side of paying for standard cloth but replacing the wings more often. After my foil has gone through canopies on a few occasions wings are a more disposable item than kites.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 08:01:48 PM »
I had my first session on the 2022 Duotone unit.  The handles are really great, and the wing goes upwind like crazy.  Coming from the Slick the unit handles are a good compromise, though some of my boom habits don't transfer.  Namely grabbing right in between the handles.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 09:24:53 AM »
I've heard that some brands will be branching out and offering different wings for free-ride, riding surf and racing -- reminds me of windsurfing and how specialization eventually hurt sales and resulted in the general public losing interest -- it was huge in the early 1980's and now it's a rarity where I am. 

Anyway, I suspect we'll see some really fast development, especially with new fabric for the wings, which means they'll get more and more expensive especially the wings developed for racing. 

I'm very interested in the Takuma RS -- the handles look interesting but I'm not sure about the long battens along the the bottom of the "L" part of the strut -- how do you pack them up?  The new North looks good but then the weight may be an issue.  What if Duotone introduces a "new" Slick with new materials and a new super light boom?  Things are changing so fast that you may put in an order today and tomorrow wish you had waited a couple of weeks.  If you already have wings that work well for you then waiting for things to sort themselves out could be the way to go. It's not as much fun but it is prudent.  One of the things I've discovered in life is that "new and improved" is not always better -- sometimes it's a step sideways or even an expensive step backwards.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:28:24 AM by deja vu »

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 10:18:35 AM »
What if Duotone introduces a "new" Slick with new materials and a new super light boom? 

I hear this exact wing is coming soon from Duotone...

To the broader point, I have everything from Aluula wings, to direct to consumer non-branded wings.  The premium stuff is better, but I'm not convinced that its worth the price - particularly when it only lasts a season and a half.  I think a Takoon quiver is 95% as good as anything out there right now (95% because its less durable and "premium", but probably rides 99% as good as anything) and feels like the right move in a market that is evolving so quickly. 

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 02:21:14 PM »
An Aluula Slick is a great option, with the boom spreading the load on the strut it should avoid the damage I saw on a OR wing. The guy pumped it like crazy, going out in very light winds and the Aluula started to fail around the handle connection area, luckily replaced under warranty.

Might have to save some pennies for when they are released.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »
Just heard from a buddy that the Cabrinha Mantis V2's are pretty nice. He's calling them game changers. I loved the V1.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 11:40:15 AM »
It took longer than it should have, but it sure looks like boom/handles are the future.

All these brands have booms or prototypes of booms.

Gaastra,
GoFoil
Takuma
Slingshot
Duotone
BRM
Dakine
Cabrinha
Epic
North
Ocean Rodeo
Hot Sails Maui
Vayu

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 12:00:37 PM »
Just my observation but a couple of the V3's of 2 top brands have been a huge disappointment. I bought and sold 1 quickly and a sponsored rider friend of mine told me how the V3 of another brand in his words is "crap" and the V2 is far better. I would always recommend testing as just "cos it's new" doesn't mean it's better. I'm not going to name brands as that's not my point. I think the jump from 1st version to 2nd version was a bigger leap than the latest. I also think brands have realised the demographic and subsequent spending power of the majority of wingers and are producing what boils down to "go faster stripes"..and charging ridiculous money.
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 01:10:55 PM »
I LOVE my Cabrinha Mantis 2001 model...such a great handle system . My wing foiling has improved the moment I used these..such a solid feel and easy to find without looking.  Lightweight and easy to pack for travel.  I am sure the V2 is even better, but I saved a couple hundred$ buying last year’s model.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 06:26:17 PM »
As an ex windsurfer, I'm very interested in the boom-style handle.  Seems like the Duotone Slick is still the best example of that. 

Does anyone have an opinion on the Slick compares to the newer boom style wings? 

Since I'm just getting into this sport... I'm looking at the Slick.  I also have a connection to Starboard, and generally like their brand, so I'm looking at the Freewing Air V2. 
Sustainable Surf

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 08:40:00 PM »
As a windsurfer, I own the original Duotone and loved the boom, however felt it was heavy and not good for travel, and when I was first learning, the boom gave my board a couple of dings on crashes. I knew I wanted some form of boom, and the mini booms on Cabrinha were perfect for me and felt close to a full boom.  I see a lot of people using and loving the Duotone Slick which has the full boom.  Either way, I think you will find the feeling familiar coming from windsurfing.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

gneve_foil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 10:05:48 AM »
I had my first session on the 2022 Duotone unit.  The handles are really great, and the wing goes upwind like crazy.  Coming from the Slick the unit handles are a good compromise, though some of my boom habits don't transfer.  Namely grabbing right in between the handles.

I, too, just had my first session on the Duotone Unit v2 (4m) and the handles are fantastic. I had gotten used to my F-one Strike CWC 6m handles but the rigid ones on the Unit are great.

The inflation system leaves something to be desired when compare to the Strike. For example, the neoprene cover over the valve on the Strike is really good for keeping blowing sand out of the valve. You'd think every wing (my old Wasp had this) would have this type of protection.

Upwind performance is excellent given the wing shape and extremely rigid canopy.

Not a fan of the windows as they force me to move the wing into position to see through them when it is just easier to lift the wing up. That being said, I don't ride where there are many other people. Once I get the steps down in terms of deflating and putting the wing away, perhaps I won't mind the windows so much.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 06:22:03 AM »
First review of the Nitro that I've seen. Short and shame about the sound quality but don't think there's anything too surprising mentioned. It's light, stiff and drifts well. Reading between the lines might be a handful overpowered so maybe you need to alter pressure according to conditions? Would like to hear more!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcPwI0hIPee/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal