Author Topic: DIY - ARMSTRONG POWER LINK CONTROL BAR - anyone make one?  (Read 6274 times)

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
DIY - ARMSTRONG POWER LINK CONTROL BAR - anyone make one?
« on: March 27, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »
I been looking at making myself one of these for my larger 6M wing. I have a spare section of carbon fibre shaft from a paddle that I cut down.
Any suggestions to fasten the Velcro tabs to the shaft, should I deburr the ends of the shaft, plug the ends?
Regards

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: DIY - ARMSTRONG POWER LINK CONTROL BAR - anyone make one?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 09:29:39 PM »
I made one and then retired it as the paddle was too big for my hands. You might want to buy some smaller diameter carbon tube unless the grip works for you.

I left mine open and just let the water drain.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 12:12:32 PM »
I bought one ..wasted $100. never really liked it, and it was  very slippery when wet.  can't understand why it doesn't have a grip or textured surface..I solved the problem by buying Cabrinha mantis wings. no need for the bar...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 07:43:02 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys - will ponder it further before I tackle this one.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 04:56:37 AM »
There is a fairly simple cheap solution for it made out of webbing, PVC pipe and a buckle with a total cost starting at around $10 depends on a cheap you want to go:

Run the webbing  around the front handle, put the webbing through the pipe, wrap around the back handle of the wing and close with the buckle.

You can get the pipe cut to measure in the ACE store for a buck a foot or so.
heat the pip and curve its ends to shape it to your liking which also prevents roll.

Finish off with your choice of grip tape over the pipe.

https://www.amazon.com/JIAKAI-Strap,Polypropylene-Hammocks-Climbing-Repairing(Black)/dp/B07Z23V7ND/ref=sr_1_34?crid=3JKLIC5XOJYHF&keywords=3%2F4+webbing+nylon&qid=1648553649&sprefix=3%2F4+we%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-34

https://www.amazon.com/Elbow-45-Degree-Conduit-PVC/dp/B088CXNR89/ref=sr_1_52?crid=3D5AK5R4MAGJ2&keywords=pvc+electrical+conduit&qid=1648554148&sprefix=pvc+electrical+conduit%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-52

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Buckles-Handbag-Webbing-Hardware/dp/B099F3WZS7/ref=sr_1_8?crid=C8MFUN0VIQ7O&keywords=metal+slide+buckle&qid=1648554268&sprefix=metal+slide+buckle%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-8
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 05:15:42 AM »
There is a fairly simple cheap solution for it made out of webbing, PVC pipe and a buckle with a total cost starting at around $10 depends on a cheap you want to go:

Run the webbing  around the front handle, put the webbing through the pipe, wrap around the back handle of the wing and close with the buckle.

heat the pip and curve its ends to shape it to your liking which also prevents roll.

Has anyone ever tried that?  I'd like to see a photo of the finished product.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 05:46:34 AM »

Has anyone ever tried that?  I'd like to see a photo of the finished product.

Yes. a Guy a know use it on his F-one Strike 5M. I use the same material to re-shape and stiffen my current handles on my F-one and Ocean Rodeo wings.

Huge difference!
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 01:46:22 PM »

Yes. a Guy a know use it on his F-one Strike 5M. I use the same material to re-shape and stiffen my current handles on my F-one and Ocean Rodeo wings.

Huge difference!

That looks like a solid setup. I might have to copy that.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 07:15:51 PM »
Indeed - ima gonna try this on my floppy handles.
One question - does the pvc pipe sit over the handles or is it split down the middle so that the handle slips inside the shapes pvc tubing?
Regards

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 09:00:47 PM »
In the case of using it on existing handles I first cut the pipe so it can sit on top of the handle.

Try to cut it uneven and not in it's radius point, it may not be able to contain the handle inside the opening in that case. make sure to sand all the sharp edges after the cut.

Affix on top of your handle wrapping a hockey tape around it with pressure. wrap the ends of the hockey tape on each side with electrical tape so no loose ends.

https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Hockey-Roller-Handle-protector/dp/B08ST6HP4D/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B09285V28F&psc=1
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:06:37 PM by burchas »
in progress...

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 12:31:15 AM »
I have found the best use for the Armstrong control bar is to attach a harness line to it.  Works excellent. Also good for blind jibes as you can follow the bar back to the rear handle without looking.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 10:44:53 AM »
I think the Armstrong design is remarkably stupid. They could easily have fabricated a rigid extension that velcros to all the handles, but instead added something floppy.

I've been using a fake boom for as long as I've had F-one wings. I hate floppy handles. A continuous boom that can be securely velcroed in place, lets you one-hand the wing going upwind, simplifies wing transitions, transfers your harness lines from wing to wing, stiffens the handles, and enables a full range of power tuning by moving either or both hands.

I make mine out of old standup paddle shafts. Ke Nalu of course, since I have some bits left kicking around but you can use any carbon tube that fits your hands. PVC pipe is way too flexy and weak for my taste.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37252.msg428683.html#msg428683

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:48:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 09:00:24 PM »
I think the Armstrong design is remarkably stupid. They could easily have fabricated a rigid extension that velcros to all the handles, but instead added something floppy.

I've been using a fake boom for as long as I've had F-one wings. I hate floppy handles. A continuous boom that can be securely velcroed in place, lets you one-hand the wing going upwind, simplifies wing transitions, transfers your harness lines from wing to wing, stiffens the handles, and enables a full range of power tuning by moving either or both hands.

I make mine out of old standup paddle shafts. Ke Nalu of course, since I have some bits left kicking around but you can use any carbon tube that fits your hands. PVC pipe is way too flexy and weak for my taste.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37252.msg428683.html#msg428683

Bill have you made a rigid handle setup on your old F1 wings?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:14:57 PM by Vancouver_foiler »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal