Author Topic: New longboard in my future  (Read 8142 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
New longboard in my future
« on: March 25, 2022, 07:01:04 PM »
There's something about it...

https://youtu.be/Vpbn8q1xe2M

...and my life's going to be just like in the video...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 07:05:36 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New longboard in my future
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 05:59:48 AM »
You almost convinced me... But I learned to be cautious spending money when looking at perfectly shaped butt cracks on a world class waves backdrop :)
in progress...

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 07:50:19 AM »
Do they do lessons? 😀

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 06:22:31 PM »
@ Dusk Patrol

I can't tell if you're serious or not about getting a longboard. But I can tell you, since I own a prone longboard surfboard, it is true because there is "definitely" something about it. I like to think of it as something of a "rush" which is the feeling I get when surfing my 9'3" longboard.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 08:54:59 PM »
Hey Wing
I am actually getting a longboard.  I was looking at the SICs because of the Jimmy Lewis adjacent construction. Not sure that really translates to longboards, stiffness wise. But I laughed at how easily that video pushed my buttons… ‘that’s for me‘ … haha … but we’ll see what real life brings .

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 12:10:07 PM »
@ Dusk Patrol

When I decided to get a prone surfing longboard, I had set out some criteria for it.

1) A longboard which would work will with my weight of (as of right now) 148 pounds where the waves I would normally encounter. Waves from 1 1/2' to 4' in height (on me, from knee to chest high).

2) The board would have to be fast for my weight and the waves I would encounter.

3) The board would have enough flex (stiffness) and (spring) to accomplish what I wanted in the first two above criteria and it would also have enough volume in it so I could surf these types of waves without any problems.

4) And the last missing detail is the correct fin size and shape.

Most longboards are either high performance boards with multiple fin boxes or single fin nose rider boards. Since I do not do any nose riding, I "initially" wanted a high performance longboard. But I changed my mind when I found there is a third type of board.

A board that can be trimmed (steered) from the middle of the board where one does not have to turn the board by having one of their back feet on the left or right rail or stepping back on the board and putting the back foot over the fin.

I think this design change was promoted by CJ Nelson. And he designed three of these boards to do just that. They are the Outlier, Parallax and Neo Classic. These are fast boards with lots of volume in them which is tricky to do in their given lengths.

My Parallax longboard was shaped by Ryan Engle. When it comes to the Parallax model, there are "now" four lengths. An 8'3", 9'3", 9'6" and a 9'9".

Since I'm 5'8 in height and my weight is 148 pounds, since I normally encounter wave heights in my message above, I needed a board with enough "flex" (stiffness) and "spring" in it to generate a fast speed from the waves I regularly surf at my weight. I found Thunderbolt Technologies where Thunderbolt has three degrees of stiffness. The degrees are Red, Black and Silver.

The "Red" is designed for smaller surfers (weight wise) like myself surfing small to medium waves. The "Black" is for larger persons (weight wise) surfing large powerful waves like chest high to overhead. The Black is much stiffer than the Red construction. The "Silver" is basically a stiffness to emulate the old "logs" feeling back in the 60's, but unlike traditional logs, be fast.

I chose my single fin 9'3" Parallax in Red construction with it's 78.8 liters of volume because it would be best for my height, weight and the waves I would normally encounter. And as a bonus, since one liter of saltwater weighs 2.25 pounds, this means 78.8 times 2.25 equals 177.3 pounds so when I'm standing on my Parallax and the water is not choppy, since I weigh 148 pounds, I can stand on my longboard and it does not sink below the water.

CJ designed fins for his models of longboards which are Nose Rider, Power Flex, Cali Pivot, Parallax, Involvement, Classic Pivot and Performance Center under the Flying Diamonds brand.

I chose a Flying Diamonds "Involvement" fin model and I have both a 9.0 and a (9.5). I like my 9.5 a lot. The correct fin shape and size can turn a "sow's ear into a silk purse" and the wrong fin shape and size will turn a "silk purse into a sow's ear" if you get my drift. Fin placement in the large center fin box is also crucial.

Some of the top surfers have designed longboards like CJ Nelson, Harley Ingleby, Taylor Jensen, Ben Skinner, Kai Sallas, Tom Mann and they have all went with Thunderbolt Technologies for the stiffness for their line of boards model wise. And Thunderbolt boards are highly durable unlike a PU (poly) board. I have no pressure dings in my Parallax.

If you want a technical detail video of a Thunderbolt built board, then the video below will show it. Watch the video in full screen mode. BTW, there are lots of videos on YouTube which the above designers tell you why they chose Thunderbolt Technologies for their line of boards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6kWgb0OGI4
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:08:31 PM by Night Wing »
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 01:51:45 PM »
Thanks Wing -  I remember your longboard journey.  I hope your getting a lot of great use out of it.  One board I'm looking at is by Firewire in Thunderbolt Silver. But I'm also looking for a user friendly board for family to mess around on. So that makes the buying decision process less focused! 

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 02:28:19 PM »
Unless you are already a skilled longboarder nothing beats a $99 Costco softboard as a starter board. You would be surprised how much mileage and performance you can get from this board. It was shaped by Gerry Lopez.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 07:21:26 PM »
Big, I agree, I'm a fan of the idea ...  I'm not a 'skilled longboarder' but I have a Starboard Longboard SUP (10'x29") , and when I get on that thing it just feels so different than my smaller boards, how it turns, etc, that I thought I'd go to the source and get a traditional PU or epoxy log and experiment.  I'll tell you how its going to go tho' - My ribs are going to be sore and my neck is going to be sore and I'm going to be wishing for a paddle. But we'll see   ;D 

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 09:45:59 PM »
I have always enjoyed the longboard.  I surf rather than sup when it gets crowded, or if it gets too choppy.
My two cents, width is your friend.  For your height, look for at least 23.5” wide.  Look for a board with volume equal to your weight, or more.  Stewart Redline 11 has a good reference for height & weight. 
https://stewartsurfboards.com/collections/redline-11
Surf simply has a volume calculator which is handy. 
https://surfsimply.com/volume-to-weight-calculator/
For my height and weight, an 8’ board does not feel like a longboard, not enough rail for my taste.  I have had a lot of fun on the Catchsurf 9’ Plank, great fit for my height/weight.
The inexpensive foam boards have symmetrical fins, which are flimsy and feel slow.  I do prefer the Jerry Lopez over the wavestorm.  Perfect Storm Fins sells stiff assymetrical twin fins or a single fin replacement for soft boards.
https://www.perfectstormfins.com/
Check out Rob Case surf paddling coach.  He has some good tips for prone paddling which will prevent shoulder injury. 
https://www.youtube.com/c/RobCaseXSWIM/videos
Eric Goodman has some videos on prone decompression which help train you how to properly lift your head from a prone position to minimize neck pain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmhu-yZGY_A
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 10:07:17 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 06:47:32 AM »
One board I'm looking at is by Firewire in Thunderbolt Silver. But I'm also looking for a user friendly board for family to mess around on. So that makes the buying decision process less focused!

I'm very aware of Firewire.

When I bought my 9'3" Parallax, I purchased it from REAL Watersports in North Carolina. But REAL, at that time, did not carry the Flying Diamonds fins.

I purchased my 9.0 Involvement fin in Volan Green color online from Hawaiian South Shore in Honolulu, Hawaii. After surfing my Parallax at Surfside, Texas; I wanted a 9.5 Involvement fin for bigger waves (chest to overhead), but Hawaiian South Shore was out of this size. Bummer!

So I went on Firewire's website and they carry Flying Diamonds fins (at that time) and they had a 9.5 Involvement fin in Volan Green color so I purchased it online.

I just checked Firewire's website and hovered over the Fin category, a context window opened up and the Longboard selection is noted. After clicking on the Longboard selection, Firewire has a nice selection of longboard fins from CJ Nelson, FCS 2, Kai Sallas and Taylor Jensen fins.

Whatever longboard you select, keep us (me) apprised of your final selection concerning your board and fin brand and size selection.

BTW, the beach water temperature at Surfside and Quintana beaches has reached 66 degrees F so that is my minimum water comfort zone where I don't shiver since I don't wear a wetsuit. I'm hoping to get down to the beach next week for some surfing.

If the wind is really up next week (17-22 mph), I'll just take my Parallax longboard, but if the wind is moderate (10-15 mph), I'll take my Parallax and one of my Duke sups with me.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 12:37:51 PM »
Thanks SF for putting those links together. The Rob Case site itself looks like a fun rabbit hole... in the best of ways. 

Wing, I appreciate your attention to detail. I don't know if my fin selection will do you justice but I'll pay more attention because of you.  I might be more of a 'look through my random collection and use one that looks like a longboard fin'  kind of guy...     

The water in Washington never really rises above 57-58 degrees, and that's summer, so count your blessings.  Also why much of my travel has an eye toward where I can fit in some time on - warm - water... 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:45:31 PM by Dusk Patrol »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 07:10:35 AM »
@ Dusk Patrol

This is important because a hard longboard surfboard, not a soft top, are not cheap. I think I paid $1,195.00 for my 9'3" Parallax back in 2021. It's a "silk purse", but if I didn't do my homework and installed the incorrect shape of the fin and the wrong length of the fin on it, the board would perform like a "sow's ear".

So if this was a mathematical equation where the end result is 100%, the longboard is 50% and fin is 50%. Choose the right length of fin and the shape of the fin and you'll have a "dream" longboard which will give you tons of pure joy when you're surfing it. Do your homework when it comes to fin selection for your longboard.

Below is a video of CJ Nelson surfing one of his model surfboards. The model of the surfboard in this video is not listed and the fin is not listed either. But I picked this video because the waves in the video off of San O in California are very similar to the waves I find when the wind is up and I'm surfing at Surfside, Texas. And my 9'3" Parallax easily handles these waves with my Flying Diamonds 9.5" Involvement fin.

At the time and date of this video, even though the model of longboard and fin length and shape are not listed, I knew what model of longboard he is surfing because he is nose riding it. The Outlier and Parallax are not nose riders, but the Neo Classic is. And I "would bet the farm" he is surfing his old prototype 10' Neo Classic log with a 10.5" Flying Diamonds "Power Flex" fin.

When it comes to his favorite models of boards which he rides the most; CJ rides his 10' Neo Classic nose rider log with a Flying Diamonds 10.5" Power Flex fin, his 9'6" Parallax with a Flying Diamonds 10.5" Parallax fin and his 7'6" Outlier with a Flying Diamonds 9" or 9.5" Involvement fin.

Now for the video with the waves of San O which are almost the waves I find at Surfside, Texas when the wind is up from the south or southeast. No music in this video and watch it in full screen mode and 1080p60 HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4oD3YF9dc

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:13:06 AM by Night Wing »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 08:08:47 AM »
Thanks Wing, like I said, I appreciate your attention to detail ... I agree that if you're going to do something, do it right. But you also might be underestimating my "random collection" of fins.  ;D   Anyway, I'll let you know what the outcome is.  And I'll be playing around with different fins for sure.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal