Author Topic: Sanibel FL  (Read 2539 times)

Guidewater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Sanibel FL
« on: March 23, 2022, 12:53:45 PM »
I'm heading to Sanibel the first week of April.  Wondering if anyone could offer any advice.  Is there wind this time of year?  Is it worth getting everything down there?  Was just planning on going there by the lighthouse from what I have been able to scour off of the internet.  Spoke with one shop down there who said they are mostly on a 6m wing.  I don't have a 6, can I get by with a 5m and a 1050 HPS?  Thanks ahead of time if there's any info available. 

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sanibel FL
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 06:58:43 PM »
SW FL is inconsistent with winds. Hard to say if it’s going to be windy. This week in sw fl is perfect. Today was 🔥  Beginning of April chances are good that it will be some wind. Mostly S winds but can be one of those gnarly NW days too.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
...  I don't have a 6, can I get by with a 5m and a 1050 HPS?  ...
As gone_foiling wrote, you never know what you're going to get for wind. Even assuming 15-mph wind, without knowing your weight and experience level it's hard to say. If you're 135 lbs and skilled, could be no problem. If you're a 225 lb beginner you may struggle.

There are parks on both sides of the Sanibel Causeway that are potentially good depending on wind direction.

Guidewater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 03:17:14 PM »
I'm 200lbs, intermediate foiler, have a couple of years under my belt.  I spoke with a shop down there that rents gear, not optimal but I may just try that if there's a good wind day based on the replies here.  I'll be fishing too so maybe I'll focus there and keep an eye out for the good wind days. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal