Author Topic: Slingshot 2020 WF-1  (Read 5249 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Slingshot 2020 WF-1
« on: March 22, 2022, 05:24:59 AM »
Hey all,  I just purchased a 2nd hand Slingshot WF-1 Wakefoil board  in hopes of learning how to dock start and possibly even as a super sinky winging board.
My biggest concern is , are these boards constructed properly with regards to foil pumping or do I need to worry about snapping it due to repeated pumping over time?  I do a lot of foil board building and usually over build my track boxes so this is never a concern.  I only weigh 155 lbs so I have that going for me.  I’ve been thinking of routing out some channels along the hull and inserting long carbon tubes( arrow shafts) alongside the track boxes to prevent the board from snapping.
Or I can just wait to see if it breaks, and fix it if it does.  Thanks to everyone who has any advice?

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slingshot 2020 WF-1
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 06:55:02 AM »
I don't think you have anything to worry about, Peter. Those boards are made for wake foiling and pumping. Slingshot has been in the business for a while and sold tons of them starting in 2016; promo video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLulOrM7pOg .

Here's a video from 2017 of guys pumping and doing airs on an earlier version of the WF-1: .

Now if your 225 lb cousin Bubba wants to put footstraps on it and boost airs I would advise against that. I promise you I did not beat on the board. I used it a lot in 2020 but only used it 2 or 3 times in 2021 because I wanted to dial in my prone board.

To alleviate your concerns, you could email MAC kiteboarding https://www.mackiteboarding.com/ and ask if they've had any issues or returns. I think taking a router to it would be a mistake.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:56:57 AM by radair »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 07:57:57 AM »
Thanks Rob! I kinda thought that was the case but just happened to see some videos of guys breaking those smaller “trays” recently and that just blows my mind. I can see homemade boards breaking due to improper construction methods but I cringe at the sight of production boards snapping.  They’re supposed to be the ones who know a thing or two about composite construction.  Thank you very much for the vote of confidence!  I’m accustomed to far thicker boards and the inherent strength due to a thicker sandwich. I’m just going ride it.  Thanks again!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 02:15:56 PM »
You were right Rob! Mackite gave this board a very good review and could not recall ever having seen one snap. Gives me more confidence, not just for my body weight, but also for my frequently heavier buddies.  Thanks again Rob, I can’t wait to spend some windless, waveless , warm days , having fun with some friends trying to get good at what I’m sure will be a challenging pastime.

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 06:37:11 AM »
At that thickness there's no way its stiff enough for agressive pumping.  Stiffness = thickness ^2.

Strength is less of an issue than stiffness.  Expecially after a few months it will be a wet noodle, even if it has all the carbon in the world.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 02:15:24 PM »
At that thickness there's no way its stiff enough for agressive pumping.  Stiffness = thickness ^2.

Strength is less of an issue than stiffness.  Expecially after a few months it will be a wet noodle, even if it has all the carbon in the world.

Have you heard or seen this model snap?  I prefer not reinforcing it of course but it would be far easier doing this before it breaks rather than after.  I could easily build a board strong enough to withstand the powerful cantilevered forces involved with pumping.  I just hope the manufacturer has enough skill and confidence to do the same.  Again, it always amazes me when I see guys snapping production boards which fail to handle the very conditions they were built for. 
Thanks for your input.  Wether or not I reinforce this board , buying it has still saved me an enormous amount of time.  Fingers crossed!

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 02:38:36 AM »
Strength isn’t the issue.  It’s flex and associated power loss.  I’ve seen many production boards appear fine but develop movement at the plate connection, making them un-pumpable.

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 04:58:55 AM »
Strength isn’t the issue.  It’s flex and associated power loss.  I’ve seen many production boards appear fine but develop movement at the plate connection, making them un-pumpable.
Have you seen any slingshot boards fail as you described? Have you ever had your hands or feet on one of them? This board is not flexible. How do you explain that of the thousands of these boards that have been produced there doesn’t appear to be any reports of flex or failure?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal