Author Topic: Repair Advice  (Read 12475 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Repair Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 10:06:52 PM »
I've mixed it both ways and got air bubbles. I think a little compression will force the air out. Maybe just after pouring it in, put a piece of wax paper over it, and tape in down. Then punch a few little breather holes in the tape. It may get rid of the big air bubble voids? I'll have to try it...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 10:43:26 PM »
Jimmy says: Wedge some Styrofoam in it.!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 11:00:06 PM »
Looked like the outer area is about 6 inches long and a few inches wide of actual damage but I could be wrong. Damage under paint can go way further than what you see before sanding.

When I damaged my JL rail the outside only looked 3 inches long but when I got into the inner layer was actually worse. They are very thin carbon layers on these boards. I agree that one could just remove all the damaged inside and outside layers and just do a single layer repair. I prefer to fix things 100 percent but its always up to the owner.

I know it looks big, but then I realized what looks like texture on a deck pad is the little micro-pillows of RSPRO rail tape.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 11:00:13 AM »
yeah my bad for a rotten photo
any thoughts on just using styrofoam like Jimmy L says?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 05:14:18 PM »
That works, though I usually glue the foam in with some GG ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 11:53:11 PM »
thanks Tall Dude. i did that but the styrofoam is not quite up to flush. i wonder if i can cover that with some ballons/ep[oxy mix now that the gap is like 1/8th inch before glassing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 11:17:00 PM »
The benefit of using GG whipped in the first place is that it completely fills the repair with closed cell foam. Now what you need to do is whip some GG and put it in the gap. I don't bother patching anymore.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2022, 05:34:56 PM »
how do you mean: no more patching?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2022, 10:45:51 AM »
I don't both cutting foam pieces to patch. A small amount of whipped gorilla glue fills the hole completely and with a little practice can be sized to slightly bulge out, giving a perfect platform to conform to the original curves with just one step. Watertight, strong, fills the damage completely, good surface to contour. Why fuck around?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2022, 10:49:23 AM »
I don't both cutting foam pieces to patch. A small amount of whipped gorilla glue fills the hole completely and with a little practice can be sized to slightly bulge out, giving a perfect platform to conform to the original curves with just one step. Watertight, strong, fills the damage completely, good surface to contour. Why fuck around?
Same, and quick story of how my old shaper/repair guy finally switched over to the whipped GG in replace of epoxy in some cases.

So several years ago I was doing a hero's return to the beach pumping side-shore in what turned out to be too shallow of water, and I pumped the foil into the (fortunately sandy) bottom at full speed. After picking myself and my embarrassed ego up out of the water, after flipping the board over, I was sure I was going to find the boxes certainly torn out of the board with as hard as I had mashed things. But much to my surprise and delight, all was intact, and things appeared no worse for the wear (we had already started using dual stringers to attach the boxes directly board back then and this was my first "proof of concept" so-to-speak ::);D). 

It wasn't until several weeks and multiple sessions later that I noticed a little water bubbling up from the rear of one of the boxes, and upon further inspection saw that the impact had actually compressed the foam under the box, and the additional stress of the foil had caused a slight crack around the back of the box where water was now entering. Taking back to my shaper - since it was a fin box and I wasn't confident in my box repair capabilities at the time - he said it'd be an easy fix, and later proceeded to drill multiple holes around the rear and part way up the sides of the box where he then injected epoxy with a syringe into the holes.

Welp, apparently, the epoxy kicked off too hot, smoke started pouring out of the holes, and it began melting the EPS foam underneath causing an ever greater problem than was originally there. Upon returning to the shop after he had called with the news, I tried my best to not be the "I told you so" guy, but when dropping off the board I had talked to him about the whipped GG I had already used in several other easier repair in place of the epoxy, after he explained how he was going to fix it...which he obviously poo-pooed, I think just because he just wasn't familiar with it or believed possible.

To save time and space, I'll just say that then after a full on demonstration of mixing GG and H2O in a Dixie cup for him, and letting him see firsthand how much it expands, how well it bonds, and how strong/dense of "foam" it makes...he jumped aboard the whipped GG train, and as of the last time I spoke with him 5-6 months ago, he's still amazed and loving how well it works in so many repair applications.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2022, 01:50:25 PM »
i dunno what I havebeen doing wrong as when i whip up GG i get large bubbles under the hard shiny surface

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 08:01:13 AM »
When you whip the gorilla glue with a few spritz’s of water it will eventually turn white.  If the cured product still has a yellow tint you didn’t whip it enough.  The yellow stuff will have larger bubbles. Use a dremel at medium speed and test with Dixie cup.  The whipped solution will also harden quickly.  ~15 minutes to set.  Dry in an hour.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 08:03:09 AM by Beasho »

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 06:26:01 PM »
THANKS ALL!

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2022, 06:36:36 PM »
I agree with Beasho, if you have large bubbles, the solution wasn't mixed well enough, or you added too much water.  You would be surprised at how little water is needed.  I now use a dropper, usually 2 drops is plenty for a tablespoon of glue.
If you are on a budget, harbor freight has a rotary tool that mixes/whips glue/water well. 
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-oscillating-tools/rotary-tools/07-amp-rotary-tool-kit-80-pc-63235.html
The harbor freight tool sucks for cutting though (and is not compatible with dremel accessories), get a dremel if that is your need.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 06:38:21 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal