Author Topic: Reedin Flight Attendant Foils  (Read 9950 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Reedin Flight Attendant Foils
« on: March 17, 2022, 01:07:32 AM »
https://www.reedinkitesusa.com/products/flight-attendant

Hdip brought these up. $1,200 and the design looks good.

KDMaui in their product video and rumors are that that's not all he did on these.

1280 and 1880. Anyone got one or rode one?

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Reedin Flight Attendant Foils
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 09:49:04 AM »
I was eyeballing these on the Mackite website - look pretty surfy.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 01:45:25 PM »
Looks an awful lot like this to my untrained eye.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 08:11:37 PM »
Yup and if he could mold ratthan cut I'll bet his prototypes would have more an and di hedral.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 10:13:48 PM »
Umm. Kane can make just about anything he wants to do. The guy is spooky talented at fabrication for somebody who looks like he might be 18. I know he's older than that, but he looks younger than my grandkids. The stuff he builds for himself would have no commercial value. Foils that look laughably tiny, smaller than kite racing foils--like some kind of joke wing--that he somehow gets ridiculous unpowered glide from. And he's no lightweight, last time we were talking he told me he weighs 205 as I recall. 

Yeah, he makes a lot of stuff out of fiberglass plate. I'm not sure why--convenience I guess.

He spends a lot of effort minimizing drag. I think he's on to something.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:23:23 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »
Oh Pono, not a comment on his skills but just that he has had Parton cutting those G10 wings and tails. He's a wizard and yeah, interestingly tall and solid for a foiler who can glide all day.

My comment was more about the complex curves in this wing. Since it was a production piece they got to make molds.

It's wild how RC glider skills translate to foiling.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 08:46:11 PM »
Umm. Kane can make just about anything he wants to do. The guy is spooky talented at fabrication for somebody who looks like he might be 18. I know he's older than that, but he looks younger than my grandkids. The stuff he builds for himself would have no commercial value. Foils that look laughably tiny, smaller than kite racing foils--like some kind of joke wing--that he somehow gets ridiculous unpowered glide from. And he's no lightweight, last time we were talking he told me he weighs 205 as I recall. 

Yeah, he makes a lot of stuff out of fiberglass plate. I'm not sure why--convenience I guess.

He spends a lot of effort minimizing drag. I think he's on to something.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 03:13:48 PM »
And what do we have here? That's rad.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 01:53:23 AM »
I bumped into Kane this morning at the Harbor, he and Gabriella Bella and another interesting guy to talk to that I don't know were getting ready to go to Kihei to do a downwinder. He invited me along and I sort of went, but my plan was to mow the lawn to Ma'alea and back, not be embarrassed by having that bunch of hot shoes waiting for an hour at the bottom end for the slow geezer to show up.

As usual, I intended to just tell him one thing--about a new carbon fiber casting method I'm fiddling with called carbon forging. I'm making three-piece molds by 3D printing them so the two-piece part has all the fiddly curves, and then the third piece presses into the mold under pressure (currently my bench vice) after you stuff it full of chopped carbon and strands of tow, all wetted out kind of heavily so the forging part squashes most of the epoxy out all over the vise and your new tennis shoes--at least it did for mine.

Of course that didn't work out. And he already knew more about carbon forging than I do. We started talking about all kind of stuff, from modifying 3D printers, abrasion in printer nozzles, an idea Kane has for 3D printing a skeleton of a wing, filling it with foam and then sanding it to the skeleton, and the benefits of aluminum masts over carbon. Gabi was about to pass out from boredom. I finally wandered away to look at how shitty the harbor looked and then bailed to Kihei, where I managed to bend my knee in directions it really doesn't want to bend. I forgot where this post was going, so I'll just wander away from the computer now...

Oh, here's Gabi on her first Maliko foil downwinder. If she keeps at it she'll be pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 02:04:43 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
Oh, say more about the benefits of aluminum masts over carbon. You've got me curious now.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 05:32:38 PM »
Hope this works - pretty wicked top turn here.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcV5GXiJq8a/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 08:09:43 PM »
Damnit Pono, I had high hopes for forged carbon.

That print the skeleton idea is solid. Kind of a higher tech version of Peter's method.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 11:23:13 PM »
The forged carbon works fine, especially when I added some long strings of tow. it's just the whole idea of talking to Kane about just one thing that didn't work out. I think I know why. Say three geeks with ADHD get together and start talking...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 08:54:45 PM »
Ah, I get it. By the way, listen to The Progression Project with Kyle from Cedrus. You'll dig it. The rest of us will learn a lot.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 02:54:02 PM »
Ah, I get it. By the way, listen to The Progression Project with Kyle from Cedrus. You'll dig it. The rest of us will learn a lot.

Thanks for the reference.  Really good podcast on the cf construction and design.  I grew up during the cycling carbon monocoque era(Zipp and Trek Y frame) and got super interest in composite process and love of cycling.   But I'm not that good in my math to be a ME but I'm glad Kyle is using his knowledge to redesign the mast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal