Author Topic: Typical wind in the gorge for April and May  (Read 5735 times)

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Typical wind in the gorge for April and May
« on: March 09, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »
Hello All,

I'm doing some work in the gorge during the first week of April and then again in May. For those of you who spend some time there, what's the typical wind and water temp I'm looking at? I googled this and it seems like you have to sort through a million advertisement ridden sites to find something that actually answers the question.

Thanks
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

Guidewater

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Typical wind in the gorge for April and May
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
Try this for water temp.  You should be able to check historically as well.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?14105700

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 06:56:28 PM »
Damn cold water!

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 09:01:46 AM »
There is a reason the local shops are advertising 5/4 and 4/3 wetsuits.
Life Rewards Movement

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 11:54:03 AM »
Maybe I'll go mountain biking instead  8)
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 02:53:20 PM »
Has anyone mentioned the wind yet? When does it blow there?

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 11:42:15 AM »
Figure on a 5/4 wetsuit and hood until June. July is typically the most consistent strong wind but plenty of West wind days in April through June. If you're willing to drive East a bit it's often better. Depending on the snowpack there can be a couple of weeks of very strong current around mid to late May but that affects paddling more than winging.

The Mt. biking is also great into June then starts to get dusty. Hope that helps a little :)

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 01:24:18 PM »
Figure on a 5/4 wetsuit and hood until June. July is typically the most consistent strong wind but plenty of West wind days in April through June. If you're willing to drive East a bit it's often better. Depending on the snowpack there can be a couple of weeks of very strong current around mid to late May but that affects paddling more than winging.

The Mt. biking is also great into June then starts to get dusty. Hope that helps a little :)

Thanks, this helps. I've ridden post canyon before, sounds like that would be a good plan for these trips as well.
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 10:34:38 AM »
You can expect some fierce current in April and May, and most of that water was snow and ice a day before, so yeah, it's cold, but fun, and the wind can nuke. One of the craziest days last year was in May. My fat ass was overpowered with a 2.8. A good 3/4 wetsuit with an inner poly shirt is adequate for winging if you don't fall a lot. I find that I fall a LOT less in the Gorge than in Maui. Still, dress for the swim, not the best outcome. I'd say bring your winging gear, but bring the bike too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 02:45:36 PM »
You can expect some fierce current in April and May, and most of that water was snow and ice a day before, so yeah, it's cold, but fun, and the wind can nuke. One of the craziest days last year was in May. My fat ass was overpowered with a 2.8. A good 3/4 wetsuit with an inner poly shirt is adequate for winging if you don't fall a lot. I find that I fall a LOT less in the Gorge than in Maui. Still, dress for the swim, not the best outcome. I'd say bring your winging gear, but bring the bike too.

Thanks, I'll be open to whatever the weather brings me. If it's really nuking, I'll likely rent windsurfing gear. I'm in Kailua so Wingfoil wind is plenty, but nuking windsurfing... maybe 1 or 2 times a year.
165lbs
Riding
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal