Author Topic: Takuma RS wing - more X ply  (Read 10354 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Takuma RS wing - more X ply
« on: February 22, 2022, 01:10:29 AM »
Saw an ad in the latest Foiling mag and did a quick search. The only thing I could immediately find... I think it looks great! Development keeps on rolling!

http://www.surfshop.fr/wing-568/ailes-de-wing-569/takuma-concept-rs-19255.html#idTab1
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Takuma RS wing - more X ply
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 06:03:34 AM »
I like the idea of just using the X-ply on the trailing edge section.

Those control bars look good too.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 06:41:18 PM »
There's a lot to like here.

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:37:40 AM »
Interesting... Having ridden the Reedin X Wing for a bit now, I would think the most benefit comes from having the X ply along the leading edge, but maybe the trailing edge is more prone to getting blown out?

I'll add this, after riding with X ply, I can't imagine going back to a canopy that doesn't have the same properties.
165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 10:57:12 AM »
The trailing edge is pretty much the only part of the canopy that I've seen get blown out. My poor toasted 6M F-one looks perfect on the leading edge.

I love the handle design, though the gap between rigid handles loses one of the biggest benefits of a boom--one-handing the wing during transitions, though the long rear handle probably gets close to enabling that. Either way, I can easily make a part to fix that. When/if that wing becomes available I'd print adapter clamps to add a rigid connector bridge. The short bridge can also hold harness lines, meaning your harness would always be in the same place and move from wing to wing. I'd make it remove easily for packing.

The name of the wing is concept, but apparently, it's already available. Not cheap. But what is these days? http://www.surfshop.fr/wing-568/ailes-de-wing-569/takuma-concept-rs-19986.html

Yup, I like it
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:06:55 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 12:18:57 PM »
There’s one at 3:05 in this video.

https://youtu.be/MRRzicKP6JU

I like the idea too, but maybe as a way to reduce the cost and pack size of eventual allula/x-ply wings. In that short clip I wasn’t thrilled with the shape.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 11:15:55 AM »
Pretty hard to tell much from that quick peek, especially since it was flagged out, and I don't know who that is that was sailing with it. I like the washout on the wing tips and the handles look great. I guess we'll see about the rest. I'd buy one today to replace my 6M if I could.

Cool video, and that's pretty much what wingfoiling is at Ka'a, though I've never seen that "here, hold my wing" move before. Pretty cool. The turtles are a frequent obstacle, though I've never hit one there--but I've had to do some fairly exotic avoidance moves. All the regulars have gotten so good at turning on the face of waves, flagging out and riding the swells. That looks like a fairly small day for swell. Today should be awesome if the wind doesn't get too crazy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 03:09:07 AM »
I've put my name down to try and get these as soon as they become available... 5.1, 4.3, and 3.5. Bit of a punt on sizing, but on the basis I'd want to change down as soon as possible, didn't really want any big jumps and I'll probably get a cheaper <3m for when it's survival...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 12:54:21 PM »
I wonder how big those battens are. On my swx they are way bigger than on any other wing I’ve seen, to the point that I wonder if their propensity to drop when flagging is due to the heavy battens out where they weigh it down, and not as much from the fabric. My short stint as a sailmaker made me suspicious of having such rigid battens on such light fabric, and lo and behold after pulling it through the surf once they all came unstitched at the ends. So I took them off, and together they weigh 180 g. Idk yet how much of a difference that will make a I haven’t been out with it since. But I did fly it with half of them on, and when luffing the batten side quiet while the non batten side obviously fluttered loudly. This is all to say that I wonder if x-ply doesn’t handle luffing well, and this requires burly battens, that affect the flagging performance?

Edit: looking at that clip above they seem pretty flexible, so different from reedin.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:56:35 PM by MikeLima »
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 02:49:39 AM »
I suspect the battens are there partially to stop the xply flapping too much. Those laminate materials don't like it, and accelerates their breakdown...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 04:34:46 AM »
That’s what I figured. I think I might use just the empty batten pockets so they don’t rip the canopy or weigh it down.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 07:01:41 PM »
You don't need the battens to be full length, or full size. They aren't tensioned. I'd probably just try short battens and keep going longer until they seem good. Kite carbon fiber rod--for actual kites--works great.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 10:11:56 PM »
I wonder how big those battens are. On my swx they are way bigger than on any other wing I’ve seen, to the point that I wonder if their propensity to drop when flagging is due to the heavy battens out where they weigh it down, and not as much from the fabric. My short stint as a sailmaker made me suspicious of having such rigid battens on such light fabric, and lo and behold after pulling it through the surf once they all came unstitched at the ends. So I took them off, and together they weigh 180 g. Idk yet how much of a difference that will make a I haven’t been out with it since. But I did fly it with half of them on, and when luffing the batten side quiet while the non batten side obviously fluttered loudly. This is all to say that I wonder if x-ply doesn’t handle luffing well, and this requires burly battens, that affect the flagging performance?

Edit: looking at that clip above they seem pretty flexible, so different from reedin.
Looks like the new V2 Reedin swx has some changes with the battens added and what looks like some reinforcements
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 03:29:48 AM »
You don't need the battens to be full length, or full size. They aren't tensioned. I'd probably just try short battens and keep going longer until they seem good. Kite carbon fiber rod--for actual kites--works great.

Of course! That sounds perfect!
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 11:16:05 PM »
I picked up a 6.1 a week ago - I've ridden with it 4 times now.  For reference, I'm 185#, can ride regular and goofy (and switch as required).

Talking with other guys who got their RS (5.1 and 4.3) in the first batch - the general opinions are:
- handles are amazing - super direct control input
- these wings are really quiet - zero flapping
- these wings do not like being overpowered (luff like mad and even compress downward)
- heavy back hand control

This is a fun wing!  Not as high performance as the Reedin SWX or the OR Aluula - but still pulls upwind better than average.  Has more low end then the other two wings I listed (but not more than an Ensis Score).  I'm still trying to figure out why, but the RS is a more physical wing - I feel like I've been working out after using it (I don't feel this way using the Reedins even when they are at the top end of their range).  I can jibe both ways and tack easily heel to switch - my achilles heel has been the toe to heel tack (I know - this is everyone's first turn) - with the RS, I did 10 consecutive toe to heel tacks (all up on foil).  Hard not to say it wasn't the wing that enabled this.

I can use this wing down in the 12mph range (with a larger front foil) and it tops out at 20mph for me.  12 to 16 seems perfect.

I like it so much, I'm going to pick up a 5.1.  My plan is to use the 5.1 from 15 to 20

For higher winds, I'm going to stick to the SWX 4.2 and SW 3.6 that I currently have - with that much energy blowing around, I prefer the more balanced feel these wings have.

All just my opinion -

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal