Author Topic: The 2022 Duotone Unit  (Read 27323 times)

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The 2022 Duotone Unit
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2022, 04:39:16 AM »
I wonder if UNDER-inflating would make that failure more likely, as opposed to over-inflation. Maybe think about how one folds the strut when packing it.  I also wonder if they’ll give us d-lab replacements!😎
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 04:41:30 AM by MikeLima »
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2022, 08:21:56 PM »
Best Kites had a similar problem with a model years ago. They had poorly designed the construction of the leading edge, a multi layer stiff section was sewn to a single layer. The leading edge exploded along that seam. The whole run of that model was replaced under warranty.

Yep.. The HELL FISH

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2022, 06:19:54 AM »
Best Kites had a similar problem with a model years ago. They had poorly designed the construction of the leading edge, a multi layer stiff section was sewn to a single layer. The leading edge exploded along that seam. The whole run of that model was replaced under warranty.

Yep.. The HELL FISH
Actually the 2008 HP, but the Hellfish was also a disaster, but that was the canopy material not the leading edge from memory.
It’s easy to have a great demo run, only to have the factory make a few slight changes for ease of manufacture and suddenly you have a problem in production.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2022, 07:08:20 AM »

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2022, 01:58:41 PM »
Though I’d give a review of the unit dlab 4 and 5.5.

I ride a 6m echo and a 4.5 slick.

The most remarkable thing is the stiffness. Incredibly stiff. I recently rode a slick that was under inflated due to a slow leak. Getting the wing in the sweet spot was impossible it would just bend and spill the wind right when I was getting in the power zone. Riding the dlab makes all other wings feel like that. It doesn’t spill the wind in a gust so it’s like riding with an extra .5 or 1m wing. I raced a light day and did well I think due to having the dlab. The low end is awesome since every pump is more effective.

The top end is not much higher I find than my other wings, and I don’t want to bag it out.

The other remarkable thing that I will look for in every wing I buy in the future is draft-forward lift. The thing LIFTS from the front. This makes it great for going up wind. It is a tacking machine. Put the wing over your head and it will lift you into your toes or off the board if you sling it up and around like other wings. All you have to do is move it to the other side, no chance of it coming down and getting in your hair. I rode my slick the other day and I swear I used to be able to tack on it but now it’s a nightmare and it takes a huge amount of work and wrangling to get it around. I had no idea until I got on the dlab.

This is where you put the negative stuff in a review. Price?? I do worry it will bag out and I’ll have a $1,700 stiff trash bag so I have contemplated getting a quiver of regular units or riding my old slick, which is ridiculous I know.

I’d love to get a sail loft to put on dyneema (NOT Dacron) sailcloth on the canopy when this bags out. Haven’t heard of anyone ever doing that and I can’t understand why not.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal