Author Topic: Seeking cheap alternative to Kalama DW board for flatwater pump up practice  (Read 10822 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking cheap alternative to Kalama DW board for flatwater pump up practice
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 07:18:52 AM »
I'll bet the plate drags more too. It's just that one has become acceptable and one is convenience. I've no doubt the Tuttle is slipperier. But as a guy who's made a board I can say that a Tuttle really locks you in. Let's not take over this thread but riders who switch between Axis and Lift, for example couldn't likely do that on the same prone board with Tuttle. The center of lift is too far apart to move your feet effectively on a small board. So we get this method of attachment. I still think there's a better way too.

But back to drag, suspect things like a leash drag and other small things contribute to this. We've all felt a single piece of grass make things feel bad. From what I've felt trying, this barely works in the best of conditions. Best keep things as clean as you can.

Wondering if the Kalama is just the first of many improvements. Hmmmm

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 07:43:34 AM »
I got lost - What aspect of the Kalama board make it special for Down Wind SUP?

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 07:50:53 AM »
I got lost - What aspect of the Kalama board make it special for Down Wind SUP?

They have a somewhat canoe shape,less width  and more lenght so they paddle much better than short,boxy sups.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »
Thanks for all of the opinions. I have been winging for 3 years and have short, fat, slow wing boards coming out of my wazoo. I think that the Kalama is the best and most expensive shot that I will have. I will use my Axis 1050 and 1099 to try. Saw a guy on IG this morning pump up a casey board on a 1050. He did have a tiny bump to help.

I am intrigued by the potential to do this on glassy days and get a full body workout. To me, getting this skillset in my wheelhouse will open up catching any bump anywhere. The applications are mind boggling. I winged yesterday on the 1099 Crazy short, 82 carbon and 375P. The wind was light but as soon as a gust rolled through, I was up and would fly right into no wind. What was cool was that I could flag out and pump the 1099 as far as I wanted. So, I was just using the wingding to get a waterstart, and then it was all on me to stay up. I love this game. When I learn to paddle up, I won't need any wind and will be able to pump better not having a 5M wet tarp to drag around. Of course I will be on a 6'5" board instead of my 5'0 wingboard. I think it will still be better.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »
I'm interested but I guess not enough to give up a good day of winging ::)

Another big help appears to be using a VERY short mast, think 65cm. Cheap enough with Axis alu. The wings you mention though will be difficult to learn on, something like the BSC 1120, maybe the PNG 1150 at the smallest would be easier.

The irony of downwind sup foil is, the equipment needed for the first 10-20 seconds is a hindrance the rest of the run. A 170HP Seadoo is about $35/hour to operate, with two friends this seems pretty reasonable. Now you can use a tiny 5# prone board and tow up two guys for a DW run while the third drives. I'd go this route but my GF would dump me, she'd actually prefer I didn't own a car :(

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 05:33:24 PM »
I'm interested but I guess not enough to give up a good day of winging ::)

Another big help appears to be using a VERY short mast, think 65cm. Cheap enough with Axis alu. The wings you mention though will be difficult to learn on, something like the BSC 1120, maybe the PNG 1150 at the smallest would be easier.

The irony of downwind sup foil is, the equipment needed for the first 10-20 seconds is a hindrance the rest of the run. A 170HP Seadoo is about $35/hour to operate, with two friends this seems pretty reasonable. Now you can use a tiny 5# prone board and tow up two guys for a DW run while the third drives. I'd go this route but my GF would dump me, she'd actually prefer I didn't own a car :(

Good point about the first 20 seconds. Wingboards are similarly designed for takeoff. I have wanted a jetski for about 20 years. I need to get a jet ski partner.

I have pondered the feasibility of a compressed air shot for a take off boost. Soda stream bottles. I'm no engineer but we don't need much thrust for very long.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 12:00:05 AM »
The foil drive assist has 1-2hr battery time.
For DW learning a 15min battery would be enough i think. 10 starts,10 screwups.Go home.
Cheaper,lighter.You could use it later with faster foils or on sketchy days.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 12:35:20 AM »
Dave's DW boards are the result of a long and expensive effort to make the best downwind boards for the Maui foil downwind crew. I take one look at them and say "nope, not for me." Long, narrow, tippy, fast and mean. I need something stable and friendly if I'm even going to think of climbing to my feet without assistance.

My solution is I'm building a number of different flavors of foil assist drives. Because I'm nuts, that's why. No, wait, it's because I can, and really want to be able to downwind foil, but getting my fat, old ass off the water with a paddle just doesn't seem likely. So--yay--technology. I'm still waiting for parts, but I have a selection of mast adapters 3d Printed and I'm working my way through destructively testing them. So far I've broken three and given up on one as being too wimpy.

The Australian Foil Drive thingy is well thought out, works pretty well out of the box, but for me it's a non-starter. I want something I can trust out in the middle of a Maliko run, and that ain't it. I don't necessarily believe I can build something more trustworthy, but I can give it a serious try. So I am.

I'm taking a short respite to build a new Prusa 3D printer. I've got two wimpy Ender 3 printers here in Maui but I don't dare leave the garage when they're printing more exotic materials because I fully expect the hot ends to melt and catch fire.

Here's the most recent victim of the testing program. the motor mount plug failed with 45 pounds of weight hanging from it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 08:05:56 PM »
Bill, your idea is right. We had a dude here break his folding prop 10 min in the water with nothing he could see to hit. Build it bomber.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 05:27:33 PM »
Yeah, I got my new Prusa up and running and I'm gearing up to print carbon fiber reinforced Polycarbonate. I've been experimenting with thick wall PETG prints, and they're strong, but my first part printed with CFPC made me a believer. It also roached out my extruder nozzle--brass nozzles don't like the stuff, so I'm waiting for a set of tungsten carbide nozzles.

I got a care package from Flipsky, the motor I bought included a cast aluminum prop which I'm looking at like it's the business end of a blender, but one reason for going big on the motor is to compensate for drag. I can print a shroud for it and not worry too much about the added drag if I implement my "idle" idea well enough. I'm going to build the thing so the motor drops back to some idle speed when I release the trigger and doesn't stop completely until I pull the dead man switch. The idle will be tuned to compensate for drag if the motor drops back into the water. Anti-faceplant device.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2022, 05:35:09 PM »
Back to the topic at hand (sort of) some of the guys who are building their own versions of the foildrive are putting them on Kalama-style hulls that they are building themselves or having built. The only place I've seen his actual DW boards is Maui and the Gorge. They obviously are the board of choice for doing all versions of this splinter sport. But they're like getting a Mike's Lab foil--the expense is just the first hurdle.

Oh, and one more thing. the carbon foilmount is actually a pretty cool device and fairly slippery. Most of the drag would probably come from the Wizard Hat hardware, which is also pretty cool stuff--I consider them to be an absolute requirement if you have to do mast plate shims--but definitely draggy. As insensitive as I am to changes to my board (I rarely put the mast in the same place twice) I can feel the Wizard Hats.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:40:17 PM by PonoBill »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2022, 08:49:30 AM »
Konrad board. Boxes placed far forward. More good boards are coming. Prices will come down.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal