Author Topic: Looking for a better board for kujira  (Read 9819 times)

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for a better board for kujira
« on: February 08, 2022, 03:42:58 AM »
If memory serves, I first got an Armstrong wing/sup FG despite riding the lifty kujira foils. Because of the ability to stand more or less where I need to, and the affect of the fuse shim canting the mast forward, I’m riding that combo with the mast near the center of the tracks.

Subsequently, I got an FG prone board, and have been dabbling in learning to prone surf. Because of how much I like my wing board, and how new I am to prone, I’ve been slow to come to the conclusion that I’m not doing myself any favors with this combo. One exacerbating factor is the fact that despite the tracks being long and coming a ways back, the opening in the tracks prevents the FRONT bolts from going farther back. So I’m maxed out aft on the mast, lying forward (head almost even with the nose), riding the 950/178 in nothing over 3’, yet it still is throwing me. When I have stood up I’m all on my front foot and it doesn’t work out.

Putting the fact that I could figure it out eventually aside, I wonder what it would be like if I could just put it back 2”. Would it be miraculous, or not? What boards might match well with takuma, besides takuma(although I am looking at the tk 40/45)??
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Duotone unit 2022 3/4/5;dlab6

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for a better board for kujira
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 05:45:59 AM »
I had to drill additional holes in my Takuma plate, mine is the carbon one but you should be fine doing it on alu.
Further-forward rear holes will maybe get those front screws behind the middle track opening.
If not you can drill further-back holes in the front.
If i was doing this i would switch to flathead screws to avoid countersink and use washers to spread the load,probably will need longer screws.This might be overthinking it

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 08:24:34 AM »
I almost didn’t post this since I knew I was probably going to try the 1095 today, and I had read that it has less initial lift than the 950. I went as close to the opening as I could, maybe 5mm back. But it was very different despite the waves being bigger than my last session. I was able to stand up and think about where I wanted to go for the first time, I even moved my front foot after planting it once which was impossible before. I got cold and tired so my technique fell apart and went back to exploding, but it was a little breakthrough.

I’ve thought about drilling holes, and I do have t30 button head bolts so it would be doable. I’ve also thought about shimming the front of the mast with the base shim, which in combo with the fuse shim give the mast a little back angle and tone down the initial lift even more.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 02:29:51 PM »
Have u tried shimming the front of the stab?

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 02:43:06 PM »
Have u tried shimming the front of the stab?

That’s on the list for sure. I’m trying to change one thing at a time, and I was thinking base shim next, but maybe I’ll throw that in tomorrow as well.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 03:00:58 PM »
depending which aluminum fuselage you are using, you may want to shim under the front of the mast baseplate.  I found that I needed 1.5-2deg of shim to feel good.  It seems that it was designed for a board with tail rocker and if you don't have that the front foil has a few degrees extra angle of attack and ridiculous early lift that goes away as soon as you trim the board out.  Not a good feeling on the drop at all.

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 04:23:18 PM »
depending which aluminum fuselage you are using, you may want to shim under the front of the mast baseplate.  I found that I needed 1.5-2deg of shim to feel good.  It seems that it was designed for a board with tail rocker and if you don't have that the front foil has a few degrees extra angle of attack and ridiculous early lift that goes away as soon as you trim the board out.  Not a good feeling on the drop at all.

That’s totally the next adjustment, and it’s nice to hear what you say. This morning I eye balled the aoa on the 950 and 1095 since I heard it had less early lift, and thought I saw less on the 1095. So I have sort of already found benefits from adjusting aoa while planning.  I have a carbon set that comes with the base shim, so I kind of thought it was for that, but yeah, gonna do it. Not thinking new board anymore. Today felt like it was close!
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 02:33:08 PM »
I'd get anew board before shimming stuff a ton.

I had this issue with AXIS ART series learning to prone a KT 4'8" 38L board. My mast is slammed back and it wasn't back enough, I'd get up and blow up every time. I got the 899 and I think that needs to be forward a bit so it helped me out. I have to stand very far forward, but I'm still on the pad. Get your foil back by any means necessary. You also have those large holes. Maybe you can get a large head m8 bolt with a washer, move the rear bolts to that larger hole, and the front ones to the larger hole and you may be able to skip over the track opening.

From what I see online it looks like the track opening is tiny on the Armstrong board, I'm not sure why you can't just move the foil back now? On a prone board if it's too far back by an inch it's not a big deal at all, and certainly better than having it too far forward.

I couldn't ride any foils on an Armstrong board, they are so radically forward.

I had this problem using a tuttle adapter on a fanatic 2022 board. I'm in between the tracks and can't go beyond them. I used stainless T nuts which are really thin and made out of G-10 some 1" long "track extenders" that bridge the gap of the track holes. Two on each track. About 1/8" x"1/8" x" 1" This allows the t nuts to sit in the gap in the track.

They are sketchy and I haven't done a water test, but I have them in the truck just in case. 

I ended up drilling new holes in the aluminum adapter to get around the problem and it turns out I need it even further back than that...Now I'm building myself a custom board. :P

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 04:57:01 AM »
Yesterday wasn’t informative for other reasons, but the day before a buddy who is farther along the path tried it, and said he’d move it to the middle! So, I figure make it work while learning and take it from there.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Hwy1north

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 01:15:42 PM »
The 1095 is more stable at pop up, and I'm riding it 1/4" further forward than the 980.  I have a really flat rockered board, and use the carbon mast, so I shim the front of the mast plate about 2cm which helps keep the foil in the wave during pop ups.  On a rockered board where the mast track is not flat to the deck, I would shim the rear, but not to level.  Try a KD 13.5 tail shimmed with a washer on the rear screw of the stab for better stability than the 178 tail.  Your board is pretty long, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting the mast further back.  Work on sliding your weight forward as you pop up and keep your back foot farther forward, moving it back only to make sharper/slashier turns.  Getting thrown means your weight is too far back, could be from your hips if you linger in Upward Dog, from a foil angled nose up (not an issue with Armstrong as I can see) an old LOL foil, or simply too much push from the wave (Ocean Beach, SF!)

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 04:42:53 PM »
2cm!! Wow that seems like a ton! I’ve got the fuse shim but still I just went with the base shim that comes with the carbon mast. That’s maybe 2mm different? Perhaps I should think bigger. Haven’t gotten out and won’t for a while now but food for thought for sure.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

Hwy1north

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »
Whoops!  Yeah, 2mm, not cm.  Trying to be Euro-chic.  How bout 3/32... I didn't get a shim for my mast... Did it ship with one?

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 04:15:38 PM »
That’s makes more sense, but I’ve read about 8mm (back shim)so I thought it was in the realm of possibility. Yes I got one with the carbon mast…I don’t use it because I change mast length depending on activity and wanted that fuse shim to be a constant across setups.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 04:10:29 PM »
So I’ve tried it a couple of times with a base shim(front), and it really settles it down to the point that I can now stand up on my board. Even with the 1210, which is supposed to have more initial lift than the 1095. Now I have to work kind of hard in small waves to get it off the water, so I might start my mast migrating forward!
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

MikeLima

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »
Quick update: a bit ago I traded my FG board for the “OG” Armstrong of the same size. I have the mast 1.5-2” aft of the max back on the fg, and launching is no longer an issue. I’ve also started dragging my foot while placing my back foot, which reduces that max speed at takeoff, and keeps me in the power of the wave. The most recent breakthrough is realizing I need to ignore the advice about going straight until standing. Our beach break can be tricky as it gets shallow quick, so going diagonally buys a lot of time, and I’ll be on the shoulder instead of surrounded by whitewater.
77kg rider
Armstrong 39L wing/surf
Armstrong 88 wing/SUP

Kujira foils
NoLimitz masts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal