Author Topic: Cannon Beach Oregon Wing/SUP Foil Spots  (Read 9119 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cannon Beach Oregon Wing/SUP Foil Spots
« on: February 07, 2022, 10:11:10 PM »
Hello,

Headed to Cannon Beach, Oregon for Presidents Weekend and was wondering if any good spots to wing or SUP foil? I’ve been to Smugglers Cove and didn’t know of that is the only spot.

And taking the 1099/375 with ultra short set up. After Pono’s write up, it could be some good cannon balls!!

Thanks!!

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cannon Beach Oregon Wing/SUP Foil Spots
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 09:32:22 AM »
NWkite is an active forum for PNW water fun chasers...may get more replies there. 

Love the Oregon coast, but more a summer thing for us.  I was there once in winter and had a super fun kite downwinder at Fort Stevens, on a south-east. Normally it's a NW thing, from the shipwreck to Sunset Beach, but on SE it was opposite. You can drive on the beach there, so if you have others with you, they can follow along.   Though for wing it would be fairly intense to get past the white water if there's significant swell.

In summer, Manzanita is best bet for dependable wind, seems to get a daily thermal that doesn't hit north of there. But dunno in winter. Pretty significant beach break, again may be tough with a wing.  We had good sup foiling there, big drops and long walls...but also super poundings.

Thinking about that area again but with wing in mind ... Fort Stevens right in lee of the jetty may be your best bet.  Would be easiest water entry right near jetty, and you could get outside to rollers with limited chop.

Best surf foiling for me was at seaside cove.  Keep lots of distance from grumpy surfers, expect a talking to or be told to leave...sup alone is bad enough, combine with foil and you have a bullseye on you.  ::)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 07:12:40 PM »
Thanks! I will look into Ft Stevens.

503Foil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 12:20:02 AM »
Check out fabled but finicky Guanos aka Chapman Point in Cannon Beach proper. Surf needs to be smallish like 3' or less, mid tide and on a w/sw. I woulden't consider it a wing spot but rather a paddlefoil location. Not busy and no grumpy people to contest with like at Seaside. Also, if the surf gets big try a river mouth like the Nehalam to paddle or wing in the Nehalam Bay. I've winged Manzi but the shore-pound is real. Report back if you get on the water. Cheers!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 10:07:14 AM »
I had a beach house in Manzanita for about 35 years, bought it mainly to windsurf. So Manzanita has been my choice for foiling, both SUP and wing. It's great for both, but it takes some study time, I don't know that you'll be successful over a long weekend. The biggest problem with the shore pound is that the swell almost always comes from multiple directions. It's hard to settle into a strategy for getting outside when it's so variable about where it breaks. There are lots of sandbars and rips, the rips are your best bet for getting out with a wing. the north end has a great break that's hard to get to without a wing. A long paddle in a funky swell, but if you get there it's mega-long rides with a SUP foil.

Indian Beach in Ecola state park is a nice SUP foil spot, it's kind of a beginner spot for longboarders and the few SUP surfers, so it can get crowded--or at least as crowded as any cold surf spot with a substantial hike down to the beach is likely to get. But it's easy to stay clear of the main breaks, the waves work well about anywhere along the full stretch of the cove for foilers. I've SUP foiled it a lot, but that was years ago when foiling was too novel for anyone to get their panties in a twist. Might be different now that the haters have had time to get worked up.

If you go there, go early. There will only be a few diehards there and the good surfers don't care so much about your choice of equipment. It's the fakers that get sideways and channel their inner dickhead.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:12:22 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 01:01:53 PM »
If you go there, go early. There will only be a few diehards there and the good surfers don't care so much about your choice of equipment. It's the fakers that get sideways and channel their inner dickhead.

Haha, that's totally true! I didn't mention ShortSands, as that's a favorite for surfing, especially to get away from wind, but it's not very foil friendly.  Last time down to Oregon we went there late morning (without foils) so the gals could get a surf in ... so funny to be getting stinkeye from the "heavy locals" on their midsize boards, when the is beach over-run with tourists and beginners. 

Seaside cove you stand a good chance of getting yelled at any time of day, whether you've done anything wrong or not.  But as long as you stay away from the surfers, I've found it works out ok ... better if not there are peak times or when really good surf.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 06:37:24 PM »
Manzanita sounds interesting. Tips?

Is Indian Beach in Smugglers Cove?

Thanks!

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 08:54:35 PM »
Indian beach is in Ecola St. Park just north of Canon Beach.

Tip for Manzanita is, sadly, come back in the summer when smaller swell and northwesterlies make it a better bet for winging.

Your best shot if the wind blows is probably the fort Stevens recommendation.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 06:43:03 AM »
Sam, Please do not foil at Seaside or Short Sands. You will get in trouble.

I surf out of Pacific City(further south) and Lincoln City. *Pacific City main breaks are NOT OK to foil and you would also get into trouble there, unless nobody is out.

I Stand up Foil and wing ding when I can.

If you want to make the drive and the conditions are right we can get some Foiling or winging where nobody will be surfing. It literally would just be the two (or three) of us on our own waves.

Let me know. Its a bit of a hike but I would meet you and we could get setup somewhere.
-red

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 07:49:52 AM »
Coming from NH, it's really weird to think that someone would actually yell at someone for surfing at a beach. Believe me, it gets very crowded here at times, but no one ever yells angry words at someone for simply being on the water. In fact, it's extremely rare to ever hear an angry word from anyone. You would have to do something really stupid or malicious to make someone pissed off. We're all out there to have fun. If you're not happy, go home.

I can see how foiling at a crowded beach might cause problems though. Foiling is just starting to catch on here. Seeing one is still a rarity.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:01:08 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »
Coming from NH, it's really weird to think that someone would actually yell at someone for surfing at a beach. Believe me, it gets very crowded here at times, but no one ever yells angry words at someone for simply being on the water. In fact, it's extremely rare to ever hear an angry word from anyone. You would have to do something really stupid or malicious to make someone pissed off. We're all out there to have fun. If you're not happy, go home.

I can see how foiling at a crowded beach might cause problems though. Foiling is just starting to catch on here. Seeing one is still a rarity.

Seaside OR is infamous for having 70s style surf localism persist into the new millenium.  Article on it ... watch the "get choked out" video for the next level.  :-[
 https://www.theinertia.com/surf/localism-still-exists-in-this-pacific-northwest-beach-town/

Needless to say, the Point's out of the question. But even in The Cove, you can get told off even if you've done nothing wrong, even if no one else is out.  It's kinda like that.  I agree with Red, easy no-hassle options nearby, do that instead.  With winging being so versatile, you may end up just going out right in front at Cannon Beach. 

And yeah, more I think of it, Ft Stevens could be pretty rad if you luck into decent conditions. I haven't been there since transitioning to winging....opens a lot of possibilities compared to kiting.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 02:21:25 PM »
That’s an interesting article…
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 07:52:58 PM »

I surf out of Pacific City(further south) and Lincoln City. *Pacific City main breaks are NOT OK to foil and you would also get into trouble there, unless nobody is out.

If you want to make the drive and the conditions are right we can get some Foiling or winging where nobody will be surfing. It literally would just be the two (or three) of us on our own waves.

Let me know. Its a bit of a hike but I would meet you and we could get setup somewhere.
-red

Red,

We debated between Pacific City and CB. Went CB because there is power and showers available for our bus/van. I have zero interest in ticking off locals. We will have SUP, foil sups, and wings ready to roll!! Might be super fun to meet up and foil. Can’t wait to see what this 1099/375 has to offer. 😉

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 11:06:18 AM »
The absolute best thing that can happen on the Oregon Coast is to hook up with a local who knows the territory. There are surfable waves everywhere if you know where to go, but if you don't, it can be a surf desert--even in the "best" spots. Every local has secret spots. I rarely went to Short Sands or anywhere near Cannon Beach. And rarely went anywhere south of Nahalem Bay, but I always had wind and swell. I wasn't really a local, owning a vacation house in a town doesn't make anyone a local anywhere. But I made friends with people who were.

The localism is absurd, but it's a long tradition in NW surfing. Punks imitating the punks they read about in surfer magazine. When I used to SUP surf there I had an idiot paddle a long distance over to me and tell me to leave when he and I were the only people in the cold, sharky water for miles. I ignore it, but there are some idiots who might actually get violent. Mostly you just get stinkeye and grumbling, and who the fuck cares about that. On the very rare occasion I get threatened by some idiot I generally say the same thing "I've been surfing here for 50 years. When did you start?" That generally shuts them down. Of course, it's not true, I was windsurfing, but they don't know that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 11:27:06 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 09:19:00 AM »

-red

Red,

Are you around for the long weekend? We plan on heading there on Friday from Spokane… maybe even try and get a wing session on the way.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal