Author Topic: Got my Woody out !  (Read 4600 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Got my Woody out !
« on: February 05, 2022, 11:09:42 PM »
Its been a while since I've had this board out and it was a lovely calm day. Out to the islands with the wife again. Coffee and a walk. Its so nice just to get out there and forget about everything. Its packed in the summer and boats everywhere. Then even on a beautiful warm day in the winter there is hardly anybody.
 We got stopped by the police and luckily had PFDs on. I had a torch and tow line but she didn't. They weren't too worried about that. Then one of the police says to my wife, "how long is that board"? Oh around 11ft, I can't remember, just over I think. I say. No it has to be 3.5m or 11ft6. To go more than 300m of the shore. Anyhow they let us carry on. They did turn back some people on inflatables with no PFD.
 Board build!! I'll probably just buy her an inflatable. Needs to be double chamber.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Got my Woody out !
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 09:54:40 AM »

Great photos and a beautiful place! 

Where is that?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:31:26 AM »
Wow, nutty regulation. For a small, light person a longer board is less controllable and with any rocker the extra length is probably off the water anyway. And why 300meters--that's probably well outside the distance that 90% of drownings happen. Totally random stuff. I'd add whatever nonsense extension is required to get to 11'6"--maybe a bowsprit flagpole. Nice paddle though. And both boards are lovely.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:33:48 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 10:23:48 PM »
Its the islands just off Cannes.
 Yeh maybe I'll just stick a pool noodle on the nose!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 06:50:07 AM »
Typical gov't over reach. SO sick of regulations, restrictions, mandates, ect, ect, ect. Why can't we just be left alone. Are we really free? Anyway, I digress! That wooden board looks amazing. Looks like a beautiful paddle for you and your better half, tarquin. Cool user name! Details?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 11:06:35 AM »
Of course we're free SC...now put on your life jacket and get out there and paddle (oh, and don't forget your whistle) ;D

Seriously though, take heart, sometimes bad reg's revert.  Just as one example, and close to me.  In the 1970's and most of the 80's skateboarding was essentially banned in Norway. While the regulators said protecting children was more important than letting big business make money, this was really a half truth.   It was likely more about saving national-healthcare kroner (dollars).  My family in Norway were convinced, from the national media coverage in Norway, that I was some kind of raging lunatic simply for for skateboarding here in the US.

However, since 1989, skateboarding has been and is very much alive in Norway, so there is hope.

Note: Count your blessings, I could have used a US tax law example...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 01:16:36 PM »
Typical gov't over reach. SO sick of regulations, restrictions, mandates, ect, ect, ect. Why can't we just be left alone. Are we really free? Anyway, I digress! That wooden board looks amazing. Looks like a beautiful paddle for you and your better half, tarquin. Cool user name! Details?
Its my name. My parents gave it to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal