Author Topic: How to carry an SUP: minimizing shoulder and arm strain.  (Read 8063 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
How to carry an SUP: minimizing shoulder and arm strain.
« on: January 31, 2022, 09:27:30 AM »
I understand that this post might look like a joke, but it is actually serious. I am over 70 years old, about 150 lbs, and still in good enough condition to SUP for a couple hours on a longish board. However, I find that my shoulder and arm fatigue pretty quickly when I am carrying my (18 lb) board for any significant distance. I am wondering about board carrying technique, and also exercises to improve my strength.
    Regarding the first one: is it better to carry a board with your elbow bent and the board pushed up into your under arm? or is it better to let your arm hang down with a straight elbow? Which position is preferable in terms of arm, shoulder and neck strain?  I particularly find that when I carry too far without resting, the strain moves up into my neck (on the carry side) and that can become chronic and problematic.

Secondly, I am trying to build up strength. I have two 8 lb weights (little one-hand barbells). Is that sufficient weight? Do I need to get something larger. I can walk around with those, or march in place and bend my elbows moving the weights up and down. What sort of exercises would be best for building up strength for board carrying?

I know these questions might seem dumb, but am just an older man trying to stay fit and be able to keep going in the water.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:32:31 AM by zacksc »

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to carry an SUP: minimizing shoulder and arm strain.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 10:16:45 AM »
A physical therapist or doctor is the best reference. Having said that, I do exactly the same exercises as I did when I was younger only with less weight. I do pyramids with each set. Presses, pull downs, flyes, etc. I have recently added leg work to strengthen my quads and improve balance by standing from a sitting position on the floor with no hands. I do yoga a few times a week to increase flexibility. I figure at this stage it is my job to do what I can to keep fit and mentally engaged. A lot of the time my exercise is guided by what I'm trying to rehab.  ;)
Life Rewards Movement

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 10:40:22 AM »
Not dumb at all, if you saw me carrying my foil board up the steep sandbank at Ka'a, you'd probably think I was staggering from an injury. Nope, just a 75-year-old geezer doing his best with what's left. When you get tired, stop and rest. Switch sides, take your time.

A good physical therapist can help. Learning to engage your core and keeping your muscle groups and joints working as well as you can will help.

But cheating helps too. A simple shoulder strap that loops over the nose and tail of the board makes it much easier to carry--and you can carry the strap on the board or in a pocket. A really good handle solves a lot more of the carrying problems than you would ever expect. My 17' downwind SUP has one of Mark Raaphorst's EZ-Grab handles and it makes the board very easy to carry and control. The bridged handle Blue Planet offers is almost as good. Having an extremely good way to hang onto the board makes a huge difference in your ability to control and carry the board--it's a WAY bigger deal than you might think. My wingfoil board has one on the bottom. My surf foil board does not, and it's a lot more difficult for me to carry.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:26:41 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 02:50:08 PM »
Young or old your first line of defense is a good handle. If you often carry the board distances and don't have a good grip, even a light board can cause issues over time.
If you have the standard FCS handle installed that's a qualified stinker. Look for a good deep ledge handle or better yet blue planet's sup grip or SIC's Easy Grab.

That took care of all my issues carrying really big/long/heavy boards even in windy conditions.
in progress...

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
Here is a solution that costs $1.50:

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 08:49:57 PM »
Highly recommend Beasho's carry strap.  It allows me to continue to use boards, which before I thought were too heavy.  But really I use it for all but my lightest of boards (sub 8').  No more finger, wrist, elbow, shoulder, nor lower back strain.  Thank you Beasho for sharing your personal solution.  I had bought professional SUP carry straps but much prefer Beasho's design as you can tuck it in your suit.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:44:30 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 04:34:44 PM »
Here is a solution that costs $1.50:

Thank you Beasho. I am going to try to make one.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 07:24:14 PM »
I learned to carry mine up top in the crook of my arm balanced against my shoulder and head. Way better in high winds and better for stairs too.

To learn watch any footage of old time surfers with their 35lb longboards.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 08:27:36 AM »
The shoulder carry is also great for avoiding inadvertent board contact with other beachgoers (especially little kids) on crowded days. (Not a problem in NJ at the moment  ;D)   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal