Author Topic: Do helmets lead to neck problems?  (Read 9662 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do helmets lead to neck problems?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 02:30:01 AM »
I have felt pretty uncomfortable neck pull when duckdiving with a skateboard/bike helmet.But it pretty much dissapeared just by putting ducktape over the ventilation holes on top.
And now i have a Gath, it is very low profile and streamlined,no added drag that i can feel.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »
This is a new helmet on my radar.
https://simbasurf.com/why-helmets/
It has a gladiator "look" to it.  Garrett McNamera looked to be wearing one in the film the 100 Foot Wave.  I talked to a guy in the line up wearing one and he said they are comfortable.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 12:19:05 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 08:55:41 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »
Hard to beat Tom Carroll's pitch...pretty convincing.  That man has taken some hard bumps, but he just keeps soldiering on.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
Some of the guys here and Hood River wear soft helmets. I think if ANY helmet if going to give you neck issues that's the one. I cleaned the gecko poop off my Gath and stuck it in the van. So hey, progress! I should probably paint it or do some stickies, then it wouldn't look like I've got a bowling ball on my shoulders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2022, 04:01:14 AM »
This post is aging, but I'll add my ¥2, as I've worn Gath helmets on and off since they started making them. I've always worn one when the chance of smashing the reef is high, but these days, I wear one most of the time.

I've given myself so many concussions over the years, that it doesn't take much to scramble my eggs, and send me in puking. So many people don't realize how much it rattles your brain just hitting the water hard on a small wave, let alone the reef or your board... You wouldn't think a piece of thin plastic and foam would make a difference, but it's night and day. It'll also keep you from perforating an eardrum when your ear slaps the water just right.

Inserting a picture of a helmet that probably saved my life, and all I ended up with was some reef rash on the back.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2022, 07:07:58 AM »
Thx man. That's sobering for sure. Much needed real world experience.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2022, 10:00:35 AM »
I've hit the water hard enough foiling to give myself a persistent headache. I also made my arm go numb from shoulder impact. It all cleared up, but that's just because our brains are so good at routing around damage. We don't grow any new neurons once we're mature.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal