Author Topic: Gorilla glue diy pour foam  (Read 33259 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gorilla glue diy pour foam
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2022, 04:38:32 PM »
DontSink that windsurfing board cutaway is FANTASTIC!  That raidused carbon connecting bottom to the box!  Really want some windsurfing laminators making my next prone board!  Nobody in the foil game is doing anything like this!

Yeah, that was my reaction too.
I removed the mast and  fin boxes  and strap inserts to save weight and i was flipping out on how well this thing was made.
And this is a 2002 board, bought for 80€ today...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2022, 10:09:31 PM »
I wouldn't say nobody. Jimmy Lewis pioneered a lot of the bulletproof windsurfing construction designs. He's still making boards, still doing custom foil boards, but you pretty much need to come to Maui and plead your case before he'll consider doing something for you. Fortunately, his production boards have most of his tricks embedded and nobody, and I mean nobody has closer control and a better relationship with his Asian production than Jimmy. And yes, I'm including Sven at Starboard who actually lives in Thailand, across a little lake from his production facility.

And then there's Mark Raaphorst, who builds about one board a week, with sublime craftsmanship, technique, advanced materials, and deep knowledge of both construction and what shape refinements are necessary to make a board do what you want it to do. Mark is an ace at surf foiling, downwind foiling, and winging. If you want one of his boards you pay your deposit and get in line. Fortunately you don't spec out your board when you make the deposit because what you want will change before you get to the front of the line--a little more than a year later. But hey, it's worth the wait. I wouldn't sell my Flying Dutchman wing board for love or money. If you do this take full advantage of Mark's knowledge, Have a long conversation with him about what you think you want and let him guide you.

Every so often I have this conversation with Mark. I literally had it again today:

"Hey Bill, I want to get my name out there a little more, make sure people know what I'm doing."

"Are you going to do production in Asia, or ramp up Junglewerks with some more folks building boards?"

"No."

"So what's the plan, push the waiting line out to two years".

"No."

"Then what the fuck are we talking for?"
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2022, 08:38:09 AM »
I recently came across this video of where Jimmy Lewis shows off the design idea of his sandwich contruction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLI-QIfnjU
I like the idea of a surfboard shell being able to support a load.
I suspect the PSH bamboo did not have a layer of fiberglass under the bamboo.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 08:39:55 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2022, 10:07:50 AM »
I haven't been up to Jimmy's shop in years, I have to change that. I love watching him work. He does precise work with such an economy of effort that it's like watching a conjurer. I've done enough similar things to know how hard it is to pull that off and to realize I'll never reach that level of expertise. I measure everything five times and then fuck it up. Jimmy measures once and nails whatever he's doing with micrometer perfection. Freaks me out.

His foil boards are all full sandwich construction, with deck-to-deck carbon-reinforced PVC for the tracks. the flying dutchman boards use the same level of full sandwich construction and reinforcement.

I suspect some of the generally available production boards do the same, but I don't know for sure. There are other semi-production manufacturers like Dave Daum at King's who I have visited and watched their work who do the same level of engineered construction to produce boards that will stand up to long use.

It's worthwhile knowing what you're buying. There's a difference.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:27:52 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2022, 06:19:32 PM »
my bubbles always come out too big...am i not whipping it well enough or too much h20?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2022, 10:28:48 PM »
Probably too much water. Some folks add some neutral filler to mellow out the reaction. the only problem is that it generally makes the foam less resilient. No foam I know of, other than PVC, lasts very long. They all break down mechanically with repeated stress. PU foam is kind of somewhere between two-part foam and PVC.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2022, 09:34:30 AM »
The two part foam i have used is sold as urethane foam, when cured it looks just like any PU foam.Comes in different densities.Pretty nice to work with.
https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/foam-it/

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2022, 11:08:49 AM »
Pro-set makes a 2 part epoxy foam which I imagine is better than PU foam in the same way that epoxy resin is better than PU.  If I had a board build on the horizon that’s what I’d be buying and testing.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2022, 08:30:10 PM »
My latest version of the "Dwight Box" pillars. Based on a compromise between full HD foam and nothing I've put 2 struts between the pillars on the bottom and one in the middle on the top. Just a bit more stabilization.  My year old wing board is pretty solid so far but there are 3 layers of 6oz carbon and a layer of 6oz glass over the boxes. Basically a carbon plate.

I am going to scuff up the top of my boxes with some 36 grit to help adhesion to the skin based on this thread. And yes, I'm setting the boxes with Gorilla Glue.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2022, 11:18:13 PM »
Forgot pics!

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2022, 04:19:50 AM »
https://shop.hp-textiles.com/shop/en/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Foaming&inc_subcat=1

Cant remember if I mentioned it but I used this for putting in a fin box. I also used it to vac bag the PVC onto the foam blank.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2022, 04:29:19 AM »
https://shop.hp-textiles.com/shop/en/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Foaming&inc_subcat=1

Cant remember if I mentioned it but I used this for putting in a fin box. I also used it to vac bag the PVC onto the foam blank.

I buy there too :)
How much did the mix increase in volume vs straight epoxy?.
Did you get even,small bubbles easily with no big voids?.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal