Author Topic: Gorilla glue diy pour foam  (Read 32943 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gorilla glue diy pour foam
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2022, 10:48:30 PM »

What is the DW method? I asked him but no response.

As i remember it:
He cut a divinicell rectangle.Same section as the US box and long enough to reach trough the deck.
This was vacuum bagged to the us box with a carbon wrap (i think 1 layer 6oz?) ,so you ended up with two "tall" us boxes.Rout the bottom,insert each box in its route with epoxy so top was glued to deck laminate.Then laminate bottom reinforcement patches.
So carbon wrapped boxes were "connecting" bottom and deck laminate.I gess the top laminate was reinforced too,not sure.
He had a webpage but i cannot find it anymore,he has stopped making boards.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 06:07:22 AM »
Some I'm building now with Chinook Strong Boxes

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 09:17:48 AM »
I grabbed this off the website before it went MIA.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 09:21:15 AM »
On the ones I made I used 3 layers of 5.7oz carbon all at 0-90 orientation with an EPS core. I did not have enough on hand to do a 45 -45 ply.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 10:24:14 AM »
I grabbed this off the website before it went MIA.

Great,thx!.
We should pester DW until he makes a looong vid of a complete foil board build.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2022, 01:52:07 AM »
Maybe if he has stopped making boards and shut down his website he dosnt want to be pestered? Maybe something is going on his life?
 Surely he has posted enough to know how he makes his boards.
 Do your own research and experiments. Thats probably how he learnt.
 Sorry having a "no filter day"!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2022, 11:46:03 AM »

Great,thx!.
We should pester DW until he makes a looong vid of a complete foil board build.

plus one to that!

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2022, 07:40:48 AM »
So tomorrow i will bed in the foil box with Gorilla Glue.
It is a big surface but a very tight fit.
I am not sure how to go about it,i have played with the water&dremel method and it cures fine but rises rather quick.

What is the best way to apply it in this (foil box) situation?

-Do i mix a batch with water and brush it on so it will cover the bottom&sides and then push the box in?.My worry is that i will not be quick enough before it starts to get gooey.

-If i just pour it covering the bottom as much as possible will it expand and come out the sides by itself?.Here i fear it pooling in places and leaving others bare.

-Another option would be to brush it neat and  thin all over the cavity, mist-spray with water and put the box in.

Thx for any tips, i have not found vids of people doing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pIipnNehic
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2022, 07:48:34 AM »
Paper towel and regular gold Gorilla glue will NOT fill voids correctly.  You need to whip it up.  See this video again.

Gorilla glue that hasn't been cured with moisture Inside and Out will create its own bubble inside the matrix.  If you test it in a dixie cup and then CUT the foam you will see what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZ3A3igBbY
After many attempts with gorilla glue, I am now of the opinion, that the more water you add to gorilla glue, the softer the foam.  Initially, I was attracted to the stiffness of corn starch/gorilla glue.  But in hindsight, I see it was because I was adding less water.  I was ok with adding less water because I was assuming the gorilla was extracting water from the corn starch.  I was initially hesitant that gorilla glue would set with a drop or two of water.  But if you use Beasho's whipping technique, it gives a very firm foam with minimal voids.  After playing with corn starch, I believe gorilla glue without corn starch is a superior foam, especially for marine applications. 
I wanted to ask what tools are recommended for cutting excess gorilla glue.  In the above video, it looks like a japanese pull saw.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 07:57:16 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2022, 08:39:45 PM »
Couple of things, as Pono said, don't ship FF or glueing, whip to make foam.

And yes, we are glueing to foam, it'll tear eventually. The Dwight method ties the boxes to the deck. This is key. If you use those 2" tray inserts either glass around them or better, cut through the deck and put in an HD or pour foam pillar to connect the front and rearto the deck.

Futures boxes need to be ground down before install IMHO. If you install with glass over the ridge and sand them down, they leak. I've seen this a few times.

Glue to foam will only go so far. Secure to the composite skin. The strength is in making the box/I-beam.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2022, 10:15:27 AM »
Couple of things, as Pono said, don't ship FF or glueing, whip to make foam.

And yes, we are glueing to foam, it'll tear eventually. The Dwight method ties the boxes to the deck. This is key. If you use those 2" tray inserts either glass around them or better, cut through the deck and put in an HD or pour foam pillar to connect the front and rearto the deck.

Futures boxes need to be ground down before install IMHO. If you install with glass over the ridge and sand them down, they leak. I've seen this a few times.

Glue to foam will only go so far. Secure to the composite skin. The strength is in making the box/I-beam.

+1

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2022, 04:35:44 AM »
I had an EPS board I built with chinook box pillars(bottom to deck) that developed some track issues with water geting in around the track.  I decided to preserve the laminate on the bottom, cut through the deck and excevate the pillars and surrounding EPS.

THen i glued the pillars back onto the bottom laminate and re-cored with 2 part PU pour foam in 4lb density then re-laminated the deck.

3 Weeks later i noticed significant movemet in the track area.  i opened the board up and the PU foam was all compromised.  It was all almost dust. 

Takeaways:

Pillar construction isn't perfect - the chinook box bond to the bottom laminate is definately a weak point.  The foil sandwiching the laminate with the box helps but isn't perfect.  Some other HD PVC foam is needed to distribute the load to the bottom laminate.  The top of the box isn't as stressed so i don't think its as much of an issue.

PU foam is trash - Impact, tension, movement are the achiles heel.  Floatation only - not structural.  Probably better as glue between 2 pieces of better foamthan what i used it for.

Pro Set makes a 2 part Epoxy foam - I'd love to play with this to see how it holds up!

My latest board (prone) was cut from a solid divinycell blank.  3" slab of 3lb density.  Available from aircraftspruce.com - I still did pillars - Its a BEAST  i treat it like garbage.  It doesn't care.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2022, 11:32:55 PM »
This is how the finbox was installed in an old Fanatic Goya Windsurf waveboard i was converting.
There was carbon over and under the box, in the pic the box is at the thinnest part of the board (i cut off a bit of tail) so it almost touches the deck lam,but it is not connected to deck.
The mastbox was built pretty much the same.
It looked pretty bomber.

So i placed some glass and innegra under the foilboxes when i installed them ,if it moves i guess it will have to move the whole bottom lam.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2022, 08:15:21 AM »
Don't sink, that's good but the thing to watch for is a separation of the over later from the under layer. That's where those leak. It's because we have to pierce those skins. Chinooks too, they leak at the edge as was said.

East, Thanks for this intel man.

I have wondered about bracing at the bottom particularly. I'm just about to install these pillars and now you post this!? Haha.

I want to keep the weight down. What about a 1/2" or 1" thick plate around the boxes at the bottom, just to stabilize the bottom. Maybe a good compromise?

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »
DontSink that windsurfing board cutaway is FANTASTIC!  That raidused carbon connecting bottom to the box!  Really want some windsurfing laminators making my next prone board!  Nobody in the foil game is doing anything like this!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal