Author Topic: Gorilla glue diy pour foam  (Read 32940 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gorilla glue diy pour foam
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 07:53:25 PM »
Dremel tool, opened up paper clip = tiny batch mixer.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 09:15:25 PM »
PVC is a closed-cell foam, standard EPS is not, XPS is somewhere in between. Two-part pour foam is a closed-cell and the better versions have strength somewhere between XPS and PVC. Gorilla glue that's been whipped with water is stronger than two-part foam and sticks better. Two-part foam eventually breaks down with continued pressure and eventually loses its water resistance even before it gets weak. I've used gallons of two-part to make body-formed seats for race cars. Mix well, pour into plastic bags, tape it to the seat base, and sit down. Don't pour in too much or you'll have it in your hair (not that I'd know).

I have an old hand mixer with a modified single beater for mixing epoxies, foams, and gorilla glue. I clean the beater by holding it in an empty bucket and switching it to high, then wipe off the tiny residual mess with a rag. Power mixing changes the entire game. Hand-mixed gorilla glue has voids with dense areas of poorly cured glue. Power mixed it's as consistent as commercial PVC. I haven't tried cornmeal though I've tried micro balloons to try to get a lighter filler. That works though it's hard to get enough in the mix to make it worth the effort when the glue is doing its best to turn to foam before you can finish.

Bill-thanks for the summary there bud. Good to hear this stuff based on experience.

Actually thanks everyone for this super informative subject.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 10:46:22 PM »
Dremel tool, opened up paper clip = tiny batch mixer.

Perfect for small jobs ,thx.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 10:10:07 AM »
Here is a small rail ding on a King's that was made much worse by attempting the repair with polyester resin.  As you can see, the polyester resin created an ugly cavity. 

Ordinarily I would cut the old glass out completely and replace the foam with EPS.  But, in this case, to avoid the hassle of dealing with the Kevlar vector-net, I simply filled the void with GG and allowed it to expand leaving a small escape slit in the tape.  The expanding GG actually pushed the surrounding glass back to it's original shape (more or less).  A little epoxy and some 6oz glass and Bob's your uncle... 

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 07:38:40 AM »
Beasho thanks for posting.  I should have mentioned your video technique as well because that is the one that got me interested in gorilla glue to begin with.  Your technique is the best for gorilla glue repairs.
Bean, thanks for posting, excellent description of its application.  I used a similar technique for a disturbed fin box for a board that had fallen off roof racks while driving.  I drilled 1/4" holes around the disturbed parts of the fin box, then filled the cavity with gorilla glue foam.  Then covered up the top with glass like your repair.  I also used this technique for a snapped board.
This corn starch method has me interested in repair areas like deck standing areas, as the outer skin is really firm.  I will have to cut the outer skin to see how the firmness of the inside compares to the inside of standard gorilla glue foam.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:40:20 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »
So tomorrow i will bed in the foil box with Gorilla Glue.
It is a big surface but a very tight fit.
I am not sure how to go about it,i have played with the water&dremel method and it cures fine but rises rather quick.

What is the best way to apply it in this (foil box) situation?

-Do i mix a batch with water and brush it on so it will cover the bottom&sides and then push the box in?.My worry is that i will not be quick enough before it starts to get gooey.

-If i just pour it covering the bottom as much as possible will it expand and come out the sides by itself?.Here i fear it pooling in places and leaving others bare.

-Another option would be to brush it neat and  thin all over the cavity, mist-spray with water and put the box in.

Thx for any tips, i have not found vids of people doing this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 02:54:47 PM by Dontsink »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 03:04:39 PM »
Another pic

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 07:55:00 PM »
It looks like you have a good close fit. I have done similar job putting boxes back in. I buttered up both surfaces using a paint brush, then hit it with a mist sprayer and installed it. You need to have a plan to clamp it in place, the foaming will move things around. Figure out you clamping system before you open the glue bottle.
I did my repair a little different see photos, but all set in gorilla glue , neat not foamed but misted on insertion.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 11:06:26 PM »
Thx Bean, sounds like a good plan.
I will cook up something to clamp the box securely down quickly ,great tip.

Some great ideas in your pics, i like the tubes to connect the  box loads to the deck ,and the fully wrapped boxes.Looks bomber.

BTW my fit was so tight that i had a moment of panic, i test inserted the box and it went in nicely but totally refused to come out :).A thin nail file run round the edges saved me...

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 03:01:32 AM »
It looks like you have a good close fit. I have done similar job putting boxes back in. I buttered up both surfaces using a paint brush, then hit it with a mist sprayer and installed it. You need to have a plan to clamp it in place, the foaming will move things around. Figure out you clamping system before you open the glue bottle.
I did my repair a little different see photos, but all set in gorilla glue , neat not foamed but misted on insertion.

In my previous post i meant thanks Finbox,sorry.
Got my forum names confused!!

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 08:43:16 AM »
On the last board I repaired - I did a DW wrap of carbon on the box with a foam inner. I skipped the high density foam, left the top skin in tact and epoxied to the bottom of the deck, with a fiberglass layer for filler. Then filled the gaps on the side with gorilla glue - injected with a syringe, I filled the box opening with a waterproof sheet foam and glassed over the boxes. Then routed the box back open. So the foil mount bolts clamp the carbon skin layer on the bottom of the board. 

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »
That is perfect.
I almost went for the DW method,my favorite!!...but i chickened out thinking this would be less work and easier for a newbie.
Plus the board i am butchering has rocker&Vee bottom in the foil area so i thought the flat PVC box would be a help in getting things lined up.
I did dig trenches in the EPS all the way to the deck and filled them with pour foam PVC so there is some added support.
Box is in now, will let the Gorilla Glue cure a few hours before removing clamps.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
Wow, nice work you guys. Yeah, the mixed Gorilla glue goes off faster than two-part, which is fast enough. I don't use it for simple gluing, more for filling or installing something when there's some big gaps and I can slam things together quickly while the glue is trying its best to fuck up everything. If you don't have your clamping stuff ready before you mix the glue it's already too late.

I did try to mold it one time in a simple open mold that should have released almost anything with lots of mold release. I couldn't get it out even after the mold finally broke, so I don't recommend that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:42:12 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »
Yes,sticks like crazy.
I did a test on divinycell, smooth shiny sides,no sanding.
Thin layer,spray and press.
The pieces only came apart by tearing the divinycell.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »
That is perfect.
I almost went for the DW method,my favorite!!...but i chickened out thinking this would be less work and easier for a newbie.
Plus the board i am butchering has rocker&Vee bottom in the foil area so i thought the flat PVC box would be a help in getting things lined up.
I did dig trenches in the EPS all the way to the deck and filled them with pour foam PVC so there is some added support.
Box is in now, will let the Gorilla Glue cure a few hours before removing clamps.
[/quote

What is the DW method? I asked him but no response.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal