Author Topic: Paddle out sup foil.  (Read 3157 times)

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Paddle out sup foil.
« on: January 15, 2022, 10:38:51 AM »
Headed to the coast for 4 days this week and am bringing the sup foil (kalama e3 5'10" with kujira helium wingset). I've got a good amount of wing foiling experience at this point, and have had 1 day sup foiling in waves last year. However, the surf was extra tiny, knee high beach break, and getting caught inside or having issues paddling out was no big deal (I was on a 10' board).

This week I'll have my traditional SUPs with me, but if the opportunity presents itself I'd like to get out on the foil. Can anyone direct me to some videos or threads about paddling out and other new concerns/dangers of foiling in surf? I won't be near anyone, plan to wait until it's falling tide, 3' max, and will look for the smallest surf I can get. But I want to get as much info pre-loaded from others as possible.

Greatly appreciated.

NZfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle out sup foil.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 04:23:12 PM »
If the E3 is like most sub 6' boards it will turn on a dime when you paddle hard for a wave. So practise your J stroke.
I personally get my paddle speed initially by paddling parallel to the wave and when I start to go up the face I allow myself to turn down the face. Takes one or two strokes. If the board goes past straight down the face Im toast. Balance and paddle power go out the window.
Armstrong 5'11"
Axis 1150, 1050
Fone Swing 5m

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle out sup foil.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 09:29:02 PM »
If you're competent paddling out a normal surf SUP through breaking waves, you'll do fine on a foil sup.  It is much easier, the foil seems to plant the board as it goes through the white-water.  I get forward right as I come through the wave - the moving water seems to grab the foil and flip up the nose out the back of the wave.  You'll pick it up fine

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal