Author Topic: Migrating from Armstrong to Axis ART999  (Read 16101 times)

Northern foil monkey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Migrating from Armstrong to Axis ART999
« on: January 15, 2022, 03:44:56 AM »
I am thinking of doing what I expect is a cardinal sin, and moving from Armstrong to Axis... Intermediate Wingfoiler, big fella at 105kg 6'3, gybing, tacking, wave riding, some jumps, currently riding Armstrong 1550v1 and a 1050, was looking for a performance power-up and have trsted some other Armstrong wings.

Love Armstrong... but then I test rode the Axis ART999 OMG it would just about replace both the 1050 and 1550... Questions...

How strong is the Axis stuff? (especially the carbon mast), I am big, and heavy and I break stuff often.  Armstrong is bulletproof.
I leave my foils set up permenantly, Axis alloy Fuze able to handle that without corrosion?
It felt much less livels and turny than the Armstrong, ant thoughts on that?  can it be improved?

Anyone think Armstrong is likely to come out with more user friendly HA wings?

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Migrating from Armstrong to Axis ART999
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 06:17:37 AM »
Just do some tefgel and you can leave it all set up. If you want it really loose then a 350 progressive rear and you'll also have added speed. I haven't broken any mast and I do a lot of jumping with my gear so in my experience they're bomb proof.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:43:27 AM »
I ride Axis. As far as durability goes, there is nothing to worry about. At your 105kg I would recommend going with the aluminum 19m mast if the flex bothers you. It is stiffer than the carbon. That being said, I love my carbon Axis mast as it is way less draggy than the ALU. I am not certain but I think I heard that Axis carbon is stiffer than Armstrong's. The 999 has some built in flex which can be weird for the first few sessions but then you learn to use it to your advantage. If you properly grease all the parts, they should be fine. I leave mine assembled as well but before most sessions I do a quick 1/2 turn loose and then tighten the bolts. As far as lively and turny, the ultra short and crazy short fuse help liven things up. If you want to haul ass get a 380 tail. For everything else a progressive. I run the 375 progressive with the ART999 and it is lovely. I and a bunch of other frothers here think Axis is the most progressive and innovative foil builders in the biz. They have triple the catalogue to choose from compared to other companies. They churn out new wings every few months which keeps them on the leading edge of foil design. Its a bit overwhelming looking through the catalogue but it makes sense pretty quickly. I would steer you toward a 1050 HPS as a light wind option. The 999 can be tough to get up in light conditions. If you want turny and surfy grab a BSC 890. Evan loves the HPS 830. I have not tried it yet. When I order Axis things, they show up a day or 2 later.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 06:58:43 AM »
Ive considered making the switch too, but am holding off till my skills get better. If I were to go to Axis I'd definitely get the Project Cedrus mast. Especially for a bigger guy that's jumping.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »
My friend has one of the Alchemy fuses. It's pretty sweet, fantastic idea, but not sure I'd really go that route unless I was REALLY into mixing and matching different brands of foils, tails, and masts.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 10:00:53 AM »
For me the Armstrong mast is so limiting, to flexy and no easy way to use another brand mast.  Alchemy building a product line around that mast is pretty baffling to me, best guess there are a lot light weight riders who don't notice or who only ride the shorter masts.

Axis 19mm is stiff and I have control of my foil instead of wandering all over the place.  The Axis mast and design are a good platform to build around, the doodad makes creating adapters straight forward which opens up a huge range of wings that can be ridden from various brands.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 11:06:51 AM »
Armstrong is bulletproof.
Not really. That’s why they doubled the amount of screws holding it together. Hex wears out. Especially for heavy guys.
It felt much less livels and turny than the Armstrong, ant thoughts on that?
Your comparing a mid aspect to high aspect. Mid aspect will always roll quicker.
Anyone think Armstrong is likely to come out with more user friendly HA wings?
That’s not the only area of concern. They just don’t have enough tail offerings to suit every rider style.

Northern foil monkey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 01:00:57 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts everyone, think I am still leaning more and more towards the AXIS ART999  The other option was Armstrong 1550v2, I am writting off the Armstrong HA as not user friendly enough.

Worth mentioning I am in New Zealand, great to live in the centre of the world for foil development, but rubbish to be in the arse end of the world when it comes to overseas foil gear.  The cost of buying and shipping from overseas both Project Cedus and Alchemy make both of them not a viable option.  One of the reasons I considered this is the used marked for Armstrong gear is sooo good, I can make the switch to Axis without it costing anything significant

I think my main worry was durability, I ride Wellington, it's pretty full on wild here, this is not a light wind cruisy spot, and it's almopst entirely Armstrong, black and white stripes everywhere! and I don't know anyone that has ever broken an Armstrong product.  It sounds like the Axis Carbons are pretty strong but just wanted to make sure.

I am ruling out aluminium masts, I personally know two people, who are both much lighter than me who have bent Axis 19mm aluminium masts, one who bent an Axis red fuze, and I have bent an aluminium mast (another brand, on the very first session).  I understand they are stiff and strong etc etc... but don't wanna be holding back all the time for fear of bending a mast, so it's carbon or stick with Armstrong.  Also I actually like the lively poppy feel you get from carbon masts, even if there is a bit of flex.

Appreciate your thoughts on losening it all up by adding different tails, will look into it, the one I tested had the 400 speed tail and the Ultrashort.

Thanks

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 03:17:12 PM »
I didn’t think the axis 19mm mast could be bent. Crazy. I’d say axis has the better wing selection. Worse mast. Axis improves all the time though so they’re likely to fix any issues you might have over the course of six months. Whether that’s a plus or a minus depends how often you like buying new gear.

A bunch of guys in Los Angeles including myself all rode axis and ground wings into cobblestones and reefs. No broken wings from actually foiling that I know of.

I personally used the tefgel they supply and would leave the wings and fuse together for two months at a time. Only once did I ever have a stuck screw. Me brother uses electric tools to put his together and take it apart and has had several stuck screws. Shrugs.

Axis is strong. I was never worried about babying it. Every couple months I would take all the screws out soak and put back together with tefgel. They didn’t have a good carbon mast back then so I eventually moved on.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:19:41 PM by Hdip »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 10:04:46 AM »
In my opinion. Having looked at all the options, Cedrus mast with axis fuse is the absolute best you can get from the standpoint of durability and ruggedness. 

I break and bend all kinds of gear for years and years.  I leave this setup in my car without taking it apart for dozens of sessions, no issues.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »
Electric tools are excellent for galling stainless into aluminum and permanently welding them together. It's the spinning that does the friction welding. There's actually an entire welding tech built around spinning parts into each other with a friction weld that looks like the parts grew together. for the people who expect Titanium parts to solve the problem, the tech is used mostly with Titanium. That hexagonal grain structure loves to weld together. I use an electric impact driver and minimal TefGel and I've had very few problems, but I always expect there to be a hacksaw, drills, taps, and a lot of cursing in my future. So far I've been stupidly lucky, but I'm fairly religious about TefGel use, and no, I don't mean I use it at Christmas and Easter. 

I have bent a 19mm Aluminum mast, I'm not even sure how I did it. My board just suddenly insisted on turning right when I got lifted. But that's one in three-plus years of beating the shit out of them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 01:11:44 PM »
https://www.mcmaster.com/56405A19/

https://www.mcmaster.com/56405A18/

Stainless steel torx screwdrivers.

Add silicone grip tape to the handles for more power.

Safe, fast, easy.

Northern foil monkey

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 05:20:59 PM »
Final question... anyone ever had any problem at all with AXIS carbon mast?

Electric tools are not an issue, I pull apart gear so rarely I can handle doing it by hand.  I have never dissassembled my armstrong kit since new, not once, I check the screws occasionally, and obviously change the front wing from time to time. 

My final decision is to buy the ART999 bottom half and use a used or borrowed ALU mast until I am able to get a carbon (unless anyone tells me a reason not to?).

Thanks folks,

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 06:14:41 PM »
No problems with Axis carbon. They use brass barrel nuts in the head. No tef-gel needed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal