Author Topic: PPffffttt!  (Read 5375 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
PPffffttt!
« on: March 23, 2022, 11:10:59 PM »
It was nuking today in Kihei, and I was thrilled to get to use my 2.8. It's not often fat boys get to use the little stuff that the menehunes play with.

I put the 999/400-60 on my Flying Dutchman board. Pumped up my dinky little 2.8 F-one, and tied it to the mast on my board. The wind was gusting to 45, so all this took a little time. I went back to my van to put on my rash guard and impact vest, and when I was doing that I heard a weird PPffftt sound. I thought it might have been a passing car, but when I went to jump in the maelstrom I found this:

The board blew over and the wicked 999 wing skewered the leading edge on my 2.8M wing. Fuck. If it had poked a hole in the canopy I would have just taped it, but the damn thing nailed the leading edge and blew out the bladder. I usually tie onto the leash extension for my reel leash, but for some stupid reason I didn't do that.

The wind looked much too raucous for my 3.5. I should have tried it, but instead, I tucked tail and went to the harbor, which was just so-so.

Bummer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: PPffffttt!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 11:13:15 PM »
To quote Peanuts, drat!

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 09:50:14 AM »
That sucks - saw an ocean rodeo wing meet a similar date down in the DR earlier this year. Board and wing placement on dry land - hot to be considered- kinda like windsurfing and kiting.
Hope u still got out for a ride on some of your other kit 🤙

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »
dang! and binderdundat....personal rule never to tie wing to board any more....which I forget and break my own rule and then sometimes get to re experience the suffering  >:(

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 02:32:07 PM »
Most at our local have sand bags to prevent this happening, the bags stay on the beach ready for use when you come back in.
We have seen to many foils and wings connect with the same results.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 03:07:52 PM »

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 04:26:02 AM »
Those sandbags are a good idea and seem to be getting more popular. I’ve also seen people using gallon jugs filled with sand but that’s bulkier than I want to haul around.

Orienting your board to face directly into the wind is really important. There’s very little wind pressure on a mast/foil facing straight into the wind. But you also have to be mindful of eddies due to buildings or vehicles nearby. I broke the tip off one of my foils when I didn’t consider this and the wind blew it over onto some rocks. At least it was a quick and easy grinder repair, that bladder will be no fun to replace.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 06:45:08 AM »
I can't believe this sh*t Pono. Your attention to detail is impeccable with the rails and leash matching the the color of the mast. How hard is to get a set of those...

in progress...

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 06:46:42 AM »
Damn! So sorry!  It's always my smallest wings that suffer the most damage.  Those are the only wings we take out when its nuking.  Just 2 days ago as I was clearing some rockweed from my mast in 35 kts I broke my own unwritten rule.  Never put the board upside down(foil up) when trying to clear weeds from the rig. The wind always seems to knock the foil back into the water and once again, right through my canopy.  Soon my 4 M will have more patch material than original canopy showing.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
I do indeed have a sandbag with a carabiner--in my garage. Perhaps today it can make the journey from my garage to the van.

Perhaps the board, mast, fuselage, and wings were expressing contempt that the wing was not color-coordinated. As my wife will attest, any coordination is purely by chance. She constantly threatens to stencil Geranimals on my clothes. It turns out you CAN mix plaids and prints, but not while accompanied by, well, anyone.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:33:06 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal