Author Topic: Omicron is here  (Read 9472 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Omicron is here
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 05:31:02 PM »
My only criticism is he's still a little too pro vax,  and stays away from some of the negative efficacy issues of our vaccines.

I wonder why you view this is a problem?  Are you looking for "experts" who will confirm your opinion or are you listening to experts in order to form an opinion?

The data helps me form my opinion. The experts reviewing the data helps me better understand the data. When some data is ignored, censored, or demonized it makes it harder to be objective. The negative efficacy data is real and plentiful and just deserve a bit more attention IMO.
But in all fairness things are changing so fast it is hard to keep up with and he does a good job with what he works with.

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 06:21:21 PM »
He did great work pointing out the probably problem of injections hitting veins. And the simple solution of aspirateing injections. (Still not addressed by governments) 

Right On! My wife (a retired nurse) has been complaining about that exact issue when she got her shots. She’s like WTF, is nobody being taught how to give proper shots anymore, or is everyone giving these shots, just some bum off the streets, and not nurses.
Dr. Campbell recently talked about a study from Denmark where the techs are required to aspirate the syringe to insure they are not on a vein.  In a comparison with one of the neighboring Scandinavian countries, this little precaution had significant benefits in reducing heart issues.

I also liked the Dr's interview with Kyle Warner (Kyle and April) pro-mountain biker.  He unfortunately developed some major side effects.  He commented that he had a metallic taste in his mouth at the time of the injection.  The inference is that the injection hit a vein as opposed to the desired muscle tissue.
Hoping for a very positive outcome for him.
Nice to hear. There are so many simple low hanging fruit type things like that, that we could have been doing to save lives but instead we got vaccine / no vaccine tunnel vision.

A few countries have stoped using Moderna in the under 40 year old's which is another easy thing we would benefit from. An Ontario CA study showed the Moderna shots were about 7 times more likely to cause myocarditis / pericarditis than the Pfizer vaccine in the under 40 crowd... So many easy things could have been done better.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 09:29:22 PM »
Public health isn't personal care. Responding to a pandemic with staggering repercussions worldwide is not a simple matter of offering up every bit of data and letting people figure it out for themselves. You can simply look at the responses here to see why that doesn't work and has enormous unintended consequences. People take a nugget of data and use it to amplify the things they already believe. And what percentage of the population actually has enough knowledge and experience to use the data in a positive way? I'm not the dumbest person I've ever met, I've been studying this stuff carefully for the three years we've been dealing with it, and I don't have a fucking clue what is really happening.

The pretense of knowledge and understanding is deadly in this case. This works, this doesn't work. Here's my favorite study that proves it. Really? People are really that sure?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 10:19:17 PM »
Public health isn't personal care. Responding to a pandemic with staggering repercussions worldwide is not a simple matter of offering up every bit of data and letting people figure it out for themselves. You can simply look at the responses here to see why that doesn't work and has enormous unintended consequences. People take a nugget of data and use it to amplify the things they already believe. And what percentage of the population actually has enough knowledge and experience to use the data in a positive way? I'm not the dumbest person I've ever met, I've been studying this stuff carefully for the three years we've been dealing with it, and I don't have a fucking clue what is really happening.

The pretense of knowledge and understanding is deadly in this case. This works, this doesn't work. Here's my favorite study that proves it. Really? People are really that sure?

Have u seen the dude advocating drinking your own urine?  Wowzaz.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 11:20:42 PM »
We live in the golden age of information, in our tiny phones and tablets we can access pretty much all the knowledge that human kind has accumulated since the dawn of time to just now.

And yet we tend to look only for the quick&easy info that confirms what we already believe.Fast food for the brain.

So provaxx and antivaxx become more and more entrenched in their positions,same with global warming, healthcare or Aluula wings.

I fall into this trap myself, there is just too much info and feeling "right" is more satisfying than being proved wrong.Plus nobody likes dilettantes, are you with us or against,huh?.
Pick your tribe,fight's on.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 12:06:14 AM »
A friend of mine says " the most informed yet least educated generation"
 Anytime someone spits numbers or an opinion at him he asks which book they read it in. They just look at him strangely and say I read it on the Internet. He asks who wrote it. They say I don't know looking at him strangely. He then rants on about the difference between an opinion,fact,guessing etc and tells them a load of good books to read until they leave.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 01:08:08 AM »
The way the gentler omnicron is gaining real estate fast will probably spare the ‘do your own research’ crowd.
They will get sick and finally do their fellow citizen duty as they help us reach the numbers needed for herd immunity.
But they will get a break as they missed the delta variant hammer.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 06:45:52 AM »
The good news from South Africa (the country that invented Omicron and got slapped with travel bans) is that it's over almost as quickly as it arrived and that hospitalisations and deaths are a fraction of the previous waves. Data might not translate to all other countries as South Africa's population is much younger and it's estimated that 75% of population has had one or more strains of covid with about 30% vaccinated (I think). Almost everyone I know got omicron, no one got really sick and most where back up and about in 3-4 days, so pretty similar to the flu from yesteryear.

The main takeaway is that if you focus on number of infections Omicron is a scary motherf@cker, but if you look at impact on the really important bit, deaths and hospitalisations, then it's completely manageable without any precautions. By all means protect yourself, but this one will pass quickly and may signal the end of serious covid.

Attached is SA's excess deaths - number of infections is dropping fast now.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
all of what pono said--
incl his warning that we steer clear of blinding dogma.

and, for the dogmatics, there will always be a kookbook or a soundbite to reinforce fallacy.

resist, keep your brain turned on, be humble and thoughtful---dont be a dogmatic.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 01:29:10 PM »
This is the best discussion/podcast I've hear on covid/omnicron.  3 smart doctors who talk about what studies have shown, and then each give their opinion on what that means.  I really like Peter Attia's podcast, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to live healthier and longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GklHGYY8vN8

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 05:19:14 PM »
I agree with everyone here. 

https://youtu.be/wYXFSbLotSU

Here's why.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/vaccine-aristocrats-strike-again?r=85nzj&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Taibbi has been my go to for many years.  As usual, just follow the money. 

Rogan's spotify interview of Robert Malone (true vaccine expert) has over 50 million views.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3SCsueX2bZdbEzRtKOCEyT

This site gets too sensational for my taste.  However, this lawyer is the real thing. 

https://youtu.be/CBk2HW2YIgc

He stood up to Yale at 19 and won.  Now, he's suing big corporations on the Covid 'mandates'. 

He knows employer/employee law and how to respond if you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Support your local shaper

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 05:31:50 PM »
My wife and I are both vaxed and boostered and we both got Covid late December. Due to us having all three shots, at worse it felt like a bad cold or semi bad flu. The shots may not prevent one from catching the latests variant, but they keep you out of the hospital.
I work on a Navy base and the leadership as been very upfront about the fact  they haven't done the greatest job in preventing the spread. As things are now, if someone tests positive and is fully vaxed up and boostered, they only have to isolate for 5 days and if they feel better by that point, they will return back to work.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 08:32:47 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/19/1071809356/covid-booster-omicron-efficacy
As someone who is surrounded by extremes of vax and antivax, I always try to listen to both sides.  I've had the first two shots, after getting covid.  Haven't had omicron yet, but I fully expect to get it.  I'm not getting a booster.  Let nature do it's worst.  I'm part of the herd.  I have a higher chance of dying on So Cal freeways everyday, my chance of survival would go up with a week or two off work.  :) 

Literally everyone I know and come in contact with has had Covid recently... boosted to the hilt and the Sans-vax.  My wife's school has 30% of the kids and teachers out, as does my son's 150 person workplace.  The tsunami is here.  Duckdive!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 08:44:54 AM »
The tsunami is here.  Duckdive!
Well said!

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 03:14:53 PM »
Injected, inspected, boostered, infected and recovered.

I think I'm good now! ;D

I actually went to Surf Expo fully understanding that I would get Omicron.
I figured there was no ducking this one, so might as well get it while in the sunny south, so I could lay about in the sun and bake it out. The plan worked.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal