Author Topic: The history of Hang Gliding - Great film  (Read 1792 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
The history of Hang Gliding - Great film
« on: January 12, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »
I was trying to find old pictures of hang gliding in San Clemente, Ca. We used to watch them glide off a hill above my house and land in a field where we rode motorcycles. I came across this film. So good. A few of us can relate to the passion and not so calculated risks associated to those passions::)

https://youtu.be/-hRSUjJFmCc
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The history of Hang Gliding - Great film
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 02:33:29 PM »
Thx, will definitely watch it.
Used to freefly in Hangies and Paras,not anymore but it is nice to stir the memories.Purest form of flying.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The history of Hang Gliding - Great film
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 04:00:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  That was rad.  A lot of amazing people.  Luffing looks really scary.  I really like the part where they started working on a parachute.  Testing the wings on a car rooftop looked really sketchy, but made a lot of sense.  I love the collaboration and diy of the early adopters, that is what builds a community. 
I grew up watching them in Torrey Pines.  Later I moved to SF and would observe them often at Fort Funston.    Paragliding has always been something I wanted to try.  That and speed flying.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal