Author Topic: Excellent Orthopedic care on Maui  (Read 3084 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Excellent Orthopedic care on Maui
« on: January 10, 2022, 11:36:13 PM »
I generally tell anyone with a medical problem on Maui that they need a plane ticket. My knee has been really shit lately, when I try to stand up on my SUP foilboard it collapses. It works a little better with a wing, but it's still a bit of a trick to get up. I don't want to get on a plane anytime soon, so I was open to considering local care.

Tomoko Okazaki told me about a PT clinic in Haiku that I'm going to give a try to, and today I went to a new walk-in orthopedic clinic in Pukalani called All Access Ortho Maui, which I assumed was going to be kind of weird. Who ever heard of a walk-in orthopedic doc? Usually, you have to get a referral to even see an Ortho.

My expectations were low.

Wrong. Remarkably good.

The young lady I assumed was the receptionist turned out to be an extremely competent X-ray tech. They do on-site X-ray with what looks to be state-of-the-art equipment. I didn't meet the doctor, but the PA was excellent. He confirmed what my knee doctor in Portland has been telling me--that I'm probably not a great candidate for a knee replacement at this time but he gave me a thorough exam, confirmed that the Haiku clinic would be a good idea, and recommended stretching and specific exercises. I've been dealing with this for ten years, and he told me quite a lot I didn't know about strengthening my knee.

He gave me a deep steroid shot with a lot less agony than most of the shots I've had over the years. My knee has felt good all day and I should be in a good place to work on strengthening it.

I had low expectations, and they were blown away. They took my insurance with no copay or other charge. Competent, very little waiting, excellent care, and fine results. If you need ortho care on Maui I'd certainly give them a try. Here's a link to the article that directed me there:
https://mauinow.com/2022/01/03/orthopedic-urgent-care-clinic-opens-in-upcountry-maui/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Excellent Orthopedic care on Maui
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:09:16 AM »
Bill, I hope that steroid shot hits the exact right spot and gets you set up for a winter of chasing the rat all over Maui. I lurk around here and we know each other a bit from Cape Bay Challenge and Charles River races. I went on a 10-year journey with my knee. Steadman Clinic in vail for a rescue. Hau'oli Kikaha, Saints pro linebacker was the guy on the table after me, and we did our rehab together. I had a dope Kialoa hat that He loved and we traded for his saints hat. By the way he exuded Aloha.

I had Trim, stem cells from my hip, and PrP because all the images said I was not quite bone on bone and only 46. It did exactly ZERO. Robert Parad was the guy. Look him up. At the exit interview, I asked the hard questions and he said no downhill hiking, might be able to ski partially painfree. I could tell from the look in his eyes that there was not much hope. I was like WTF.

Anyway next up top lateral knee guy in Boston blah blah blah and he said was not rescuable. I ended getting a left lateral replacement in 2018 and wah-la, fixed after a 10-year research for the answer. Are you a candidate for a partial? If you are you can still get a full. I can get a full down the road if I need to. I went with the Conformis. tons of research.

The doc I met with before I went to Vail, Dr. Willis in Hyannis on Cape Cod, was Uncle Angie's guy( Marc Angelillo) He told me if he had my knee he would do a partial in 2015. I should have FUCKING listened to him but my ego was like Cape Cod? Marck had one last year from Willis You need someone inside that knee.

I get it that you are older, kneeling gets harder, but there is no harm in going back to suping.  I have chased all the trends over the years. I still love to sup. And if a PNR or TKR is a huge success then you will be foiling at a level no fucking 70 year old would ever dream of. It honestly sounds like, and I cringe to use this phrase, a win/win.

Anyhoo this advice and $1.35 will still get you on the T in Boston, I think.
New England Is My Playground

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 08:32:59 AM »
Pono, do the exercises. I know you know. But I've had a great reduction in my knee and hip pain and weirdness since undertaking what I thought might be dangerous exercises based on old thinking. Obviously be careful but I've not found a stretch yet that didn't help me.

That said, also get some support if you can't be consistent. Foiling mostly keeps me in it with the social side. I'm not sure I'd really if I didn't have my local crew to motivate me. Get a "local crew" for those exercises. It's hard to maintain alone.

People know this, but we often avoid it. A class or a trainer is cheap and low hassle compared to surgery. All stuff we all know but I find that us men often don't socialize our recovery. The data shows it helps.

You and the other extreme geezers here are helping me age gracefully (or not? lol) and I appreciate it. Happy to share what I can as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 04:28:18 PM »
The PT class I'm signing up for is a group thing, and it sounds like it's basically all people I've either downwind SUPped with or wing/surf/foiled with. All geezers, though mostly a lot younger than me.

The only stretches I've stopped doing is Femur rotation. I've got about 30 degrees of movement in rotation, but pushing it makes my knee go nuts. I'm sure it's my technique, but the PT that showed me the stretch in the first place told me to quit it.

I know exactly what you mean about a group keeping you going. I did PT at a place in Hood River that was all people I knew. 10 or so busted up geezers sweating and moaning. They closed right after Covid hit and I haven't done that much stretching or muscle reinforcing since. It's tough to stay motivated when it just you balancing on a Bosu ball, watching videos.

A am currently doing a bit of workout using an Oculus and Supernatural. Pretty amazing workout. I stretch before and after.

NEPlay--PRP and stem cell stuff didn't do anything for me either. I think you have to be a true believer in order for it to work. Some folks here who I respect as athletes swear by it, but I think it's mostly nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:54:35 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:32:59 PM »
I've had a recurring left knee issue for about three years now. When I was in my BMX years I broke my left knee / femur split straight up the middle. Then riding a deep halfpipe at a skatepark, I jumped from about 12 feet up. When I landed, I saw my left knee bend sideways not forward. That is what I'm dealing with now. The bones heal, but the tendons and ligaments never really do completely. I just got back from skiing. I get three days of hard skiing out of my left knee, then it's done. Three Ibuprofen before I ski, and ice the knee after. I could maybe ski one more day, but I don't want to push it. I also wear a hinged knee brace now while I'm skiing which really helped. Surfing and walking on a sloped sandy beach also aggravates my knee.
I think it was a few years ago that I had just skied, then surfed with you at SanO. While I was talking to you and taking my wetsuit off my knee popped. I was out of commission for about a month after that. Through all of this, riding my mountain bike has been my salvation. My knee is a little tight still from my recent ski trip, but I've ridden my mountain bike two days in a row and my knee feels better. The linear cycling motion really strengthens my knee without the lateral stress. Walking and swimming inflame my knee as well. I think it's the hyperextension or twisting in the kick when I swim that it doesn't like. And maybe the hills and off camber sidewalks that gets my knee walking? So it's cycling for knee strength for me.
Don't let the age thing get to you. My father-in-law ran the Honolulu Marathon in his mid 70's.
BTW, I stretch 'every night', and have for 35+ years. Even drunk, I won't let myself go to bed without 10 minutes of stretching. I have a routine that is lower back and leg centric. It works for me. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 04:51:11 PM »
With your altitude stretching and being careful is probably even more important than it is for geezers. I think I remember you saying you thought you were in trouble when your knee popped. Taking off wetsuits is a dangerous business. I don't lift my leg to pull it off my feet anymore. I stand upright and stomp it off, even in sand. The wetsuit can be hosed off. A hosed knee from yanking a suit off isn't part of the big plan.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 04:37:57 PM »
I'm glad you had a good experiece from a knowledgable and skilled PA. I'm a PA and don't work in orthopaedics but do some musculoskeletal procedures. Don't forget about walking. Really one of the best things you can do for so many reasons.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 12:45:12 PM »
great care in nyc too!

anterior thr 10/15/21 -- leg's stronger than ever after intense pre hab and 3 mos of super intense daily post hab -- pt next week to get me stretching again -- til now zero impact and no twist allowed as texturized and plastic hardware fuses to bone -so i am very strong but very tight-- plan is to paddle flat water in april, surf by may/june -- hope is ill be able to prone popup too, for the first time in a long time

im totally impressed by the efficacy of this procedure

get a "skierg" if you want to stay paddlefit and cardiofit via upper body -- great machine--with that and my stationary bike i get serious HIIT workouts -- 63 yo and still kickin'

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 09:13:47 PM »
Well yeah, sure eastbound, you're just a kid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal